Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Congrats to both Roll, and IndI!

I think both of you have more to come...

Both of you ran times that are well out of my range, but I am proud of Amik for taking up the challenge of trying to better at the 5k.

Docket, glad you enjoyed the 15, good job (again).

Sprinkles- sounds like a tough day! Put it behind you and move on- next!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I guess I should have mentioned DW and I went out for a really nice dinner last night to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary.

Had a lovely evening.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Happy Anniversary!

I guess I should have mentioned DW and I went out for a really nice dinner last night to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary.

Had a lovely evening.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Thanks again all.

Results are out and demonstrate what a small race this is.  I was 7th of 29 in the 40-49 age group, and 24th of 142 overall.

Took the family out for dinner and ice cream at the local and famous Bo-Macs drive in diner  tonight.  I had potato salad but I indulged in a dish of soft serve ice cream and I am celebrating with a couple of beers tonight.

I have to get my eating back to where I started this whole journey.  I want to get down to 150 this summer.

Happy Anniversary Simon!  Thats a big number and worthy of much celebration!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Happy anniversary!

Had a lovely evening.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Just got back from my first ever double. 4 easy this evening. Trying to salvage mpw.

Had a lovely evening.

I love to hear this. It's a rare occurrence these days. Gives me hope, that DW and I can turn our 11 into 38 and more.

Congrats SimonR! Congrats!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

Hola!  Glorious 9 miles in the books at 9:40 pace this morning.  Already 60 degrees here.  I foresee a grill out dinner tonight.  Maybe burgers and some salmon.   Mmmm....who's coming?  Late night for the mdawgs last night at the Final Four.  What great games!  We had a fantastic time.  Between games, DH and I went to get some eats and drinks.  As soon as we got to the top of the section to get to the atrium, there were Michigan and Syracuse fans waiting.  They wanted to buy our tickets so they could get better seats!  Crazy!

Indi:  Looking forward to your RR.  Congrats!  Way to gut it out on a tough day.  

Simon:  Happy Anniversary!  

Sprinkles/Alakei:  I've heard of Lean In, but haven't gotten around to reading it.  Not totally sure what the premiss is actually.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I hit the advanced trail at Oleta and apart from some asthma and coughing issues, it went well.  Still not impressed with the trail Hokas in that they feel too heavy, so I'm still undecided as to which shoes to use for my 50K.  One more pair to decide.  Pearl Izumis are winning.

Rollcast, I'm in for 14 years this year and I'm still wondering how are we still together, ha!

mdawg, nice 9!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Back from 4.5 easy @ 10:45 pace. Finished the week with 28. Obviously, not ideal, but oh well.

Indi, all said, a nearly 5 min PR is nothing to scoff at. But I can see from your splits why you felt disappointed. What if anything could you have done differently? That is, execution wise?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Cbus - Had I run 8:20s from the start I probably would have swung a 3:39.  If I had run a flat course I probably would have finished 3:35.  I ran above my fitness for both the conditions of the course and the conditions of my body/mind.  Dont let me underscore the conditions of my mind.  I was not mentally into this race AT ALL.  I was worried about my physical condition for weeks and I could not turn my mental game to a positive at all.  By the way, that 10:20 mile I was scurrying around looking for my number holder that fell off.  The other guy that ran a 3:42 came up behind me and handed it to me.  He said he saw me looking and when he looked down it was right in front of him.

I have no hard feelings about what happened Sunday.  I knew things might not go well and I still managed a 4:40 PR (official time actually 3:42:20).  Hell, for a 48 year old man who has been running for less than 2 years after being 50lbs heavier and smoking a pack a day for 30 years, I ought to be jumping for joy!

My left leg is not at all happy today and I am going to give it a week off.  My quads are trashed from the hills too.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

DetroitTigerFan

Indy - congrats again. I think you're being tough on yourself - maybe you made some errors, but you recognize them and your time is fantastic - amazing progress over time like you noted.  My questions - 1) so, your bib actually fell off ?  how'd that happen?  2) Also, quick question on the weight you noted. Out of your 3 marathons how much weight loss was attributed to each race. Was it pretty consistent decrease over the years or does it perk up after the races/holidays,etc. Are you intentionally trying to lose weight during training or is it coming off pretty much with your training programs ?  for me it seems like I've stabilized and in a slight roller coaster with the seasonality of my training. I'm almost at the same weight I was last year at this time - lol - before my training kicks in and I lose up to another 10 lbs. However it seems like water always find its level for me

for me - did 12 again today - only finished 1 minute better than last weeks muddy run. uggh.   Today we had 30-35mph winds - lol - and most of my course was right into it !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Cbus, 28 might not be ideal, but you'll feel well come race day.  Keep getting better!

Indy, congrats again.  Analyzing the race is always good and finding what could improve is most important.  I'm sure you'll do even better next time (not that you didn't do great this time around)!

Cbus - Had I run 8:20s from the start I probably would have swung a 3:39.  If I had run a flat course I probably would have finished 3:35.  I ran above my fitness for both the conditions of the course and the conditions of my body/mind.  Dont let me underscore the conditions of my mind.  I was not mentally into this race AT ALL.  I was worried about my physical condition for weeks and I could not turn my mental game to a positive at all.  By the way, that 10:20 mile I was scurrying around looking for my number holder that fell off.  The other guy that ran a 3:42 came up behind me and handed it to me.  He said he saw me looking and when he looked down it was right in front of him.

I have no hard feelings about what happened Sunday.  I knew things might not go well and I still managed a 4:40 PR (official time actually 3:42:20).  Hell, for a 48 year old man who has been running for less than 2 years after being 50lbs heavier and smoking a pack a day for 30 years, I ought to be jumping for joy!

My left leg is not at all happy today and I am going to give it a week off.  My quads are trashed from the hills too.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket - Thanks! Its' true, a PR is a PR.

Simon- fantastic that you have been married for 38 years! at the 10k a couple running together had shirts on saying they were running for their 50th wedding anniversary- so awesome!  My parents have been married for 35 years now and my husband's parents for 50 years (they had him later in life), so I'm really hoping that good karma passes down my way (I figure, at least a good portion of that has got to be putting in the hard work to make marriage a partnership! Hehe and he comes to races with me even though he hates anything longer than 400m.

Indiana- Enjoy your celebration - I hear you on the eating- I am entering the higher mileage phase of training, where I actually lost 6 lbs before Philly - hoping to repeat that !

Mdawg- The book is about taking your career by the horns - and it points out a lot of the subtle sexism in corporate america- I can only say I have experienced most of those things (by some well intentioned people).

Me- 20 miles today.  First time I ever ran 20 in training.  I felt great this morning and decided to just go for it.  I tried a bit of a fueling change as well - I had oats with honey before I went out, then a gu at mile 10, watered down my water with powerade zero, and then a banana immediately after the run, followed by more powerade zero, and a salad w/ small serving of chicken and a slice of bread.  I probably got the 60g carbs I need in, plus a little protein- I am hoping that it is helpful!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  I had a crummy (running) week in that I had non-work commitments M-Th that each ended past 10pm, so I was only able to get in my lunch runs.  But I was able to salvage it with a double Friday and two good runs yesterday and today.  Beautiful weather yesterday and today.  It is supposed to touch 70 for the first time this year later this afternoon, but it was 55 and sunny (if a bit windy) when I did my LR this morning.  I explored a new trail (well, new to me...they've been in the process of building it out, connecting various sections, over the past year or so) that is near my house.  When they're completely finished with it, I think it will get me a perfect 10 mile loop, which is something I've been looking for.

Saturday was 10.5 easy @ 8:52; Today was 16 LR @ 8:46.  Total of 50.1 for the week.

Roll: I like doubles.  The first couple times you do them the second run can feel pretty wretched, but your body gets used to it.  They are also nice to help fit in runs around a busier schedule.

Simon:  Congrats to you and your DW!

Indy: Enjoy the rest, and get healthy.  You'll smash your next race!

Cbus:  So long as the miles felt good, 28 is nothing to scoff at.  We're just trying to get you to the start line ready to go.  Smile

Mdawg: Nice 9!  I have to admit that I'm ever so slightly jealous about the Final Four.  That sounds like a lot of fun.

Docket: Hi!  Hope the shoe decision works out.  I don't know anything about trail shoes, so I can't contribute anything worthwhile there.

Sprinkles: Nice 20!! That fueling plan is basically what I do for my LRs: half-cup of quick oatmeal with water and sweetener of some sort, and then a Gu about half way through the run, and then a decent carb-heavy heavy snack/light meal right after I get inside the door.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Ball of Fury

Happy Sunday Donuts!  Just time for a quick update as I am in the car headed to the park with the family!  It's a beautiful day in Northern Kentucky....for kite flying!!  Running, not as much.  10 miles done...first 2 slow, middle 6 @ 8:45/mile, last 2 slow.  Didn't feel too bad except it was super windy and I got really, really hot by the end...just not used to 70s and sunny I suppose.  Hope you all have a great day!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15