Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Ball of Fury

CBus: I totally hear what you are saying.  However, I am not 100% sure it's the plan, since the ITBS popped up back in December when I was just using HH and running everything easy.  After the marathon, I took it a bit easy in January but pretty much just jumped back in to training for this HM so I just don't know if it's the plan or just me or something else, ya know?  The one thing I was thinking yesterday was that if I recall correctly, it seems the ITBS popped up soon after I bought my PFs and I wore them Sunday and things were terrible Monday.  I don't know if they are actually contributing (I hope not because I love them) or if I am just using them as a scapegoat, but I thought I might take a break for a while to see if anything improves.  I drink a TON of water when I run (I think it might be more out of habit than anything) so I pretty much always run with my Camelbak.  I have a fuel belt and have tried 3 different brands but they are all just too bouncy for me.  DH has an amphipod belt that he really likes and he says it doesn't move at all.  I can't get the water bottles out of it easily enough to drink but he doesn't have a problem.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Sprinkles - I found 8:30 pace felt much easier on race day than it had in training. I hope you do as well!

Amik - I think I'm going to change my vote to you skipping the speed day and taking an easy day and then the tempo.  I was thinking about what I would do if I missed a run, not what I would do if I missed a run because of an injury concern.

Hydration - I hate belts and the like and couldn't tolerate wearing a fuel belt. I would get too annoyed by it.  I'd rather just be thirsty.  But I live in WI and we don't get a lot of really hot weather.  On the warmest days I carry a water bottle in my hand but mostly I go without water.

Cbus - Solomon has a soft "flask" hand hed with different size flasks. It is not a fuel belt but has awesome reviews. I am trying to decide between the Solomon hand help and the Camelback witht he lumbar water resevior. The only negativie for the camelback from what i was told is that it holds heat against your body.

the soft flask, supposedly, doesnt slosh around nearly as much as a traditional plastic water bottle.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

I hear ya Ami. And now that you mention it, I remember  you reporting ITBS issues before the plan started. I doubt it's shoe related. I'm thinking you've just been dealing with it, and that the early Graston and poor-man's Graston did absolutely nothing. So, I would start counting recovery from the first painful Graston treatment (last week?). I think you said you've got two more this week and one next week? Maybe after that, you'll feel much better. Here's hoping anyway!

CBus: I totally hear what you are saying.  However, I am not 100% sure it's the plan, since the ITBS popped up back in December when I was just using HH and running everything easy.  After the marathon, I took it a bit easy in January but pretty much just jumped back in to training for this HM so I just don't know if it's the plan or just me or something else, ya know?  The one thing I was thinking yesterday was that if I recall correctly, it seems the ITBS popped up soon after I bought my PFs and I wore them Sunday and things were terrible Monday.  I don't know if they are actually contributing (I hope not because I love them) or if I am just using them as a scapegoat, but I thought I might take a break for a while to see if anything improves.  I drink a TON of water when I run (I think it might be more out of habit than anything) so I pretty much always run with my Camelbak.  I have a fuel belt and have tried 3 different brands but they are all just too bouncy for me.  DH has an amphipod belt that he really likes and he says it doesn't move at all.  I can't get the water bottles out of it easily enough to drink but he doesn't have a problem.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

I hear ya Ami. And now that you mention it, I remember  you reporting ITBS issues before the plan started. I doubt it's shoe related. I'm thinking you've just been dealing with it, and that the early Graston and poor-man's Graston did absolutely nothing. So, I would start counting recovery from the first painful Graston treatment (last week?). I think you said you've got two more this week and one next week? Maybe after that, you'll feel much better. Here's hoping anyway!

Yes, tomorrow and Friday and then early next week.  And I agree, it's probably not shoes....I just want a fix and I realize there isn't an easy one.  And yeah, I think the early treatment I got did pretty much nothing!

Smashy!!!

Thanks for the feedback on the fuel belts. I already have Amphipod handheld bottles that strap to my hands. But they run out on a 16 mile LR. And if we get another summer like we did last year, then I'll have to run courses that have water stops, which limit the routes I can take. Plus, my arms get tired holding bottles Big grin. I think I'll eventually get a fuel betl, but maybe I'll wait until I absolutely need one because they are costly.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Cbus - Solomon has a soft "flask" hand hed with different size flasks. It is not a fuel belt but has awesome reviews. I am trying to decide between the Solomon hand help and the Camelback witht he lumbar water resevior. The only negativie for the camelback from what i was told is that it holds heat against your body.

the soft flask, supposedly, doesnt slosh around nearly as much as a traditional plastic water bottle.

I tried a handheld but just really did care for it...I couldn't seem to relax my hand.  The Camelbak doesn't bother me in the heat, but DH said he couldn't run with one because of that issue.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I got a fulebelt for winning LRS mileage contest in feb but have yet to use it yet. I don't really carry fluid until summertime anyway.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

cbus - I use an amphipod belt because it is very, very, modular. I carry as many as 4 each 10oz bottles on summer long runs but, I have absolutely nowhere to stop until 10.5 miles into a run. I have an older fuel belt that is actually more comfortable but it can only be used on shorter runs as I can only hold 11oz with it. During the worst part of the summer I carry water on anything over 5 miles, but like I said, I live in the booneys. I am having a miserable day at work today. Top that off with canceling my run this morning due to sleep loss and you have a picture of my mood this afternoon. Hoping to get a few miles done this evening even if its on the dreadmill.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Canuck

Morning all.  Legs feel good this morning, but I don't think I'll push it with a third day of running in a row.  Rode my bike to work today and will go to the gym after work for a spin class and some strength training.

AmiK - have you been rolling your quads regularly?  You might just have a knot in there, when I started biking regularly again my quads started getting tight and I felt in on one of my runs last week but I was able to roll them out, although it was really painful the first few times.

onemile - give how you finished your marathon, 3:35 is totally a reasonable goal for your fall marathon.  It doesn't really make any sense to shoot for a 3:40 since you're already so close to that anyway, so 3:35 and a BQ is the next logical step.

As for fuelbelts, I do have a two bottle belt that I wear in the summer sometimes if I'm running somewhere without water fountains.  Luckily most of my routes are on the seawall which has lots of water fountains, so I can avoid carrying water most of the time.  I find that the fuel belt doesn't really bounce that much though and doesn't bother me at all.  The key is wearing it tight enough.  I hate having things in my hands when I run, so I don't think I'd do well with a handheld.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Adjust it for weather.  Do you know the approximate heat index?  I can give you the equivalent 5K time based on that.

Did you find a heat-index/pace-adjustment equivalency chart somewhere?

mdawg87

Afternoon everyone!  7 TM miles at my normal easy 9:40 pace this morning.  Been busy prepping for my trip tomorrow and didn't realize I hadn't checked in.

Indi:  hope your day gets better.  I'm sure it will improve once you get out (or in) on a run.

AmiK:  my question would be have you taken any time off to let the injury(s) heal?  I'm not saying you shouldn't run.  Just throwing it out there that maybe you're managing it at this point vs. healing up.  If you're doing that to get to the starting line though, I totally get it.  Maybe consider easing back a bit after your next race?

onemile:  I'm hoping that's the case with race pace on race day for me too.

Hydration:  I've used a fuel belt, Ifitness belt, Amphipod belt and all manner of handhelds.  My current favorite is the 22 oz (I think... It's the larger bottle) Amphipod handheld.  I may have to revert to the belts once it starts getting warmer though so I can carry more.  I hate stopping  during a long run to drink/eat or refill bottles.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Zoe:  Glad your legs feel good, but probably smart not to run 3 days in a row.  I regularly roll my ITBs but only occasionally the quads...will do it more often.

MDawg:  Nice run!  I haven't really taken time off except for a couple light weeks after my marathon because we were already registered for this HM next weekend and I wanted to train for it, so yeah, just trying to get to the start line.  I am thinking of taking 2 weeks off from running or just running very lightly for 2 weeks to see what happens.  I have read so many conflicting reports about whether or not time off helps ITBS.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

onemile: I think 3:35 is very do-able for you for the fall.  Especially if you have another strong cycle like this past one.  Sub-3:30 probably would be achievable, too.

re:hydration:  I have a camelbak that I use for longer runs in the heat.  I never found that it got too hot,, but that might be because I'm a sweat-ball so I know I'll be disgusting after anything more than a couple of miles during the summer.

re: post-marathon running.  After my last one, I took two days completely off. Then I ran about 3.5-4 miles every over day for about a week and a half.  Then I was fine, but I didn't have the motivation to run for more than 20-25 mpw for a while.  I ran a handful of shorter races, too, during that time.

Ami: about your quad: I had a similar problem in January.  Foam rolling my quads a couple of times a day for a week or so broke up the adhesion (basically its a softer version of what Graston does), and then I was fine.

I got in 3.5 easy @ 9:10 at lunch today; it is pretty out so I'm going to try to go for another run after work, too.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Just received an email from the Houston Marathon committee reminding me that I have a guaranteed spot and can bypass the lottery for the Jan 2014 race, due to deferrement from injury last time. I am also able to register the first week of May instead of waiting until June....woooohooo. I already knew I had the spot but didnt know it was as early as May. Getting excited now.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27