Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Smashy!!!

Mdawg brings up a good point about potential BQ qualifiers. I think we should aim for a fall race. I'm starting to think Chicago might be the place.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Mdawg brings up a good point about potential BQ qualifiers. I think we should aim for a fall race. I'm starting to think Chicago might be the place.

Or, Shamrock would be a great tune-up half for Boston runners (4-5 weeks out I think).  But, I could be down for Chicago too.  It might be a stretch to talk DH into the $350 in entry fees but I will try my best!  Oh, and yeah, URD for me.  Will let you know what the ortho says this afternoon.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - thanks for that. Appreciate that.

Jedi, congrats on finishing your cycle! Based on how strongly you finished it, I think you'll reach you goal, and even surpass it. 

Morning Donuts! SRD here to kick-off my taper. Been 17 days since i took a RD. Felt good to sleep in today.Smile

As a group race I'd be down for Shamro9ck, not so much for a mid-west race due to logistics with kid activities, etc. 4-5hr drive probably my limit. I'll throw in Gettysburg as it's a great course and well organized and lot of bad-ass rural PA hills.Smile lol I also would not recommend RnR DC. OCM or NJM be good flat course to consider also or Glass City which is about only race i could make in mid-west logistically. Maybe that and Cleveland. Charleston comes to mind also or maybe Myrtle Beach. I'd love to do Pittsburgh too.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

Count me out on Chicago.  I just am not a big fan of huge races.  The logistics make things complicated.  I ran NYC and won't do it again (although I would encourage anyone to do it once).  Yes, I am running MCM this year, but its driving distance, I have family there and its half the size of NY and 12k less than Chicago.  Seriously, if you are planning to get a whole bunch of people together, why would you want to do that in a massive crowd of other people?  That doesn't make sense.  I think a mid-size race makes more sense.  There are gobs and gobs of good mid-size races on the east coast if that's the preference.  I haven't taken a poll, but I'd guess that the Virginia/DC/Maryland area would allow the most people not to have to fly.  You can do Richmond, Charlottesville, MCM, DC RnR, Shamrock, Baltimore, Potomac.  If you want a big race that people have to fly to, how about Honolulu?!

I just googled (bing actually) Shamrock and would definitely be up for that.

I did Shamrock this year and am already registered for next year.  Great marathon.  Nice and flat, and it is nice to stay by the beach.

Not sure if I can sell Utah to my husband as a place to visit....

Nice to know he has good sense.

Count me out on Chicago.  I just am not a big fan of huge races.  The logistics make things complicated. 

Chicago has about the easiest logistics around.  I take the El from MDW to the hotel and then back afterwards.  The hotel (Congress Plaza) is adjacent to Grant Park which is the start/finish.  I can leave my hotel room and be in the starting corral in 5 minutes.  There are shuttles to/from the Expo.  It couldn't be simpler.  I'll be back for my sixth consecutive Chicago this October.

My home page shows the view out of my hotel room following the 2011 Chicago Marathon.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

I've got 4ish recovery miles on tap today.

regarding races, I ran Dopey by DW this morning, and this was her reaction: Angry. Chicago is still in the running, but it would have to be two years out, and that's a long time. Maybe this Shamrock thing is a good idea. It falls right before spring break, so that's convenient. I also like Ami's idea that BQers could do the half as a tune up, and others can do the full. It's a hell of a drive for us. But maybe I can pitch it as a beach vacation. If Indi and Onemile come as far east as Columbus, they could ride with my family in our luxurious minivan (and help maintain the kids).

I flew over Utah in January, and thought it looked interesting from the air.

Perhaps, like western Canada, people rather unfairly regard it as a place you fly over when going somewhere else.

Good luck with your half, Jedi! You should have no problem setting a new PR based on your recent 5K.

(Clearly your half PR is not in line with your 5k, perhaps a hilly course or just a tough day when you ran the half!)

I have had to take a couple of days off due to pain in my right knee, but I think this will clear up soon. I suspect it was due to descending steep hills on a trail run with my son on the weekend.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ball of Fury

Hey all,

I've got 4ish recovery miles on tap today.

regarding races, I ran Dopey by DW this morning, and this was her reaction: Angry. Chicago is still in the running, but it would have to be two years out, and that's a long time. Maybe this Shamrock thing is a good idea. It falls right before spring break, so that's convenient. I also like Ami's idea that BQers could do the half as a tune up, and others can do the full. It's a hell of a drive for us. But maybe I can pitch it as a beach vacation. If Indi and Onemile come as far east as Columbus, they could ride with my family in our luxurious minivan (and help maintain the kids).

Hey wait...one has to ride with us to maintain our kids!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Hey wait...one has to ride with us to maintain our kids!!

Perfect! You take one, and we'll take one. What do you say, Indi and Onemile?

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - if i don't BQ in Philly this year, I will be going for another try on Shamrock.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

You want me to train for a March marathon?  Shocked

Perfect! You take one, and we'll take one. What do you say, Indi and Onemile?

Shamrock

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Oh wait. I see your tune up half suggestion. I could be on board with that.