Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Smashy!!!

Or it could just be a fun run. Actually, that's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking: a bunch of us could just run it for fun as a group.

Oh wait. I see your tune up half suggestion. I could be on board with that.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Oh I think I'd want to race it. But some of you guys might make good pacers Smile

Or it could just be a fun run. Actually, that's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking: a bunch of us could just run it for fun as a group.

Smashy!!!

I'm hearing a lot of support for Shamrock. We still haven't heard from Indi, though. And I still have to run it by DW. I will see if I can get away with using my "I'm the man of the house," voice (if I have one).

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

+1000!!! Same mentality as onemile if I am signing up for a race i am racing it.Smile Depending on my fall I am in for half or full.

Oh I think I'd want to race it. But some of you guys might make good pacers Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Haven't commented on a Donuts race, because I assume there would be a less than 1% chance I could ever convince the wife to agree, but a race in Virginia Beach would increase that percentage to 5% or so. We have family friends there, and family close in the Carolinas. In fact we went to Virginia Beach last Spring, and my wife's parents did this year. The only negative is the March timing when it is hard to sell the beach aspect (have typically gone mid-April when the weather is better, but still questionable).

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

ap4

I'm hearing a lot of support for Shamrock. We still haven't heard from Indi, though. And I still have to run it by DW. I will see if I can get away with using my "I'm the man of the house," voice (if I have one).

At my house, that's a death wish Smile  If you guys want West Coast, Long Beach is in October and Surf City is Super Bowl Sunday in Feb. both are larger races, but well organized and fast.  By the beach and Disneyland if that makes a selling pt to family.

Ball of Fury

At my house, that's a death wish Smile  If you guys want West Coast, Long Beach is in October and Surf City is Super Bowl Sunday in Feb. both are larger races, but well organized and fast.  By the beach and Disneyland if that makes a selling pt to family.

My thoughts exactly!!  On the man of the house voice I mean.  Done with ortho, MRI tomorrow.  It is at the Bengal's stadium and they pick me up on a golf cart and take me through the stadium to the MRI...how cool is that??  Anyway, he says it could be a femoral stress fracture but he doesn't think so.  He thinks it is a REALLY bad, refractory case of ITBS.  If MRI is clear, he wants me to go to a new PT for ART, who he says he really likes and does a great job.  He said my mobility and flexibility in my right leg are terrible.  He did recommend I not run the HM next weekend, mostly because I am still limping (even walking) and he said from meeting me for 10 minutes, he can tell I am not the type of person to just go "finish" a race.  He asked why I would jeopardize having to rest for months for a race I won't be able to hit my goal time on anyway...which is a good point I think.  I don't know....I really liked him and he was thorough and has a runner's perspective.  Anyway, right now I am wallowing in a beer and we will see what the MRI says.  I am not going to run this weekend at all, which makes me want to cry!!  Thank you guys for listening and all the supportive thoughts!  Oh and I really think Shamrock is a great choice!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I'd do shamrock.  It would give me 2 months between that and Pocono (which I am deferred to).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Hang in there Amik. I dealt with ITBS from hell in 2011 and it basically ruined my whole year.  I even got cortisone and an MRI.  Had to stick to shorter distances for awhile.   But I did get better eventually and I'm able to run quite a bit now. It just can stick around for a very long time.

My thoughts exactly!!  On the man of the house voice I mean.  Done with ortho, MRI tomorrow.  It is at the Bengal's stadium and they pick me up on a golf cart and take me through the stadium to the MRI...how cool is that??  Anyway, he says it could be a femoral stress fracture but he doesn't think so.  He thinks it is a REALLY bad, refractory case of ITBS.  If MRI is clear, he wants me to go to a new PT for ART, who he says he really likes and does a great job.  He said my mobility and flexibility in my right leg are terrible.  He did recommend I not run the HM next weekend, mostly because I am still limping (even walking) and he said from meeting me for 10 minutes, he can tell I am not the type of person to just go "finish" a race.  He asked why I would jeopardize having to rest for months for a race I won't be able to hit my goal time on anyway...which is a good point I think.  I don't know....I really liked him and he was thorough and has a runner's perspective.  Anyway, right now I am wallowing in a beer and we will see what the MRI says.  I am not going to run this weekend at all, which makes me want to cry!!  Thank you guys for listening and all the supportive thoughts!  Oh and I really think Shamrock is a great choice!

Smashy!!!

I am writing this in my "man of the house" voice (as practice). Ahem...

Ami, you listen to me. I don't think it is a stress fracture. Remember, fracture = broken bone. We forget that because we hear the word stress and we think it should hurt as much as a compound fracture. But that just means the bone broke because of stress. It's still a broken bone. So, if you have a stress fracture, you would be complaining of pain akin to a broken bone. So, just get that thought out of your head.

You're gonna waste a few hundred dollars on an MRI that will come back negative. You'll go see this new doctor, who will finally perform real Graston and ART. And you will be back in say two weeks.

I know it sucks to DNS a race. But if you don't get healthy, you simply won't be racing at all.

So drink up that beer. Cry whatever tears you have to. And then suck it all up. Because you'll come back, and come back stronger than ever. And that's that. My foot is down.

Docket_Rocket

My husband prefers big cities with monuments and stuff rather than nature.  Which is why convincing him might be hard.

Really? Zion and Bryce canyons are some of the most breath taking sites on Earth.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

OK, I finally caught up.  You guys are hilarious. "I once flew over Utah..." was my favorite.

I did 5 miles this morning and they went great.  5K tomorrow for fun (I guess), mainly to contribute to the community that lets us stay in the park until 8pm (after it closes).  I have always won an AG award but I don't expect to do so this year due to my lack of 5K training.  We'll see.

AmiK, I don't think it's an SFx but if you want to make sure and can spend the money, get the MRI.  Sorry about DNSing the race.  Hoping for a fast recovery for you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

And I am disappointed with anyone who doesn't think Utah is a great place to visit. As Cbus said, the canyons are beautiful and skiing in the Winter is great too.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Ami - have two beers! Pain is temporary if treated correctly.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

My husband prefers big cities with monuments and stuff rather than nature.  Which is why convincing him might be hard.

Here is a "Stuff to do in Virginia Beach" thingie from one of the marathon web pages.  It seems to me that there were naval base tours or some such available in Norfolk also, if I remember right from the hotel brochure.