Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Canuck

Shamrock is likely out for me, that's a lot of money on flights from Vancouver and if by some miracle I qualify for Boston, I can't possible afford to travel east twice in 6 weeks.  Perhaps we can do West Coast the next year, I may be biased, but Vancouver is a pretty good destination for a race!!  In addition to the full/half in May, we also have a couple of big half marathons in the summer, one at the end of June which is a very fast course and one in August.

AmiK - hopefully it isn't too serious and more treatment will help.  It sucks to have to miss a race (I've DNS'd two half marathons this spring already, plus downgraded my marathon to a half-marathon fun run) but there are always more races to run.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

bagopux

Shamrock actually might be a good one for me to do and *not* race as I am considering signing up for a 50-miler in April 2014.

Here's my 2-second take on Shamrock:  Logistically it is very easy.  There's plenty of hotel space right there because its a resort town off-season.  The course is very fast.  The only hill on the course is a highway overpass ... literally.  The weather is usually very good.  The southern loop is interesting.  You go through an army base and all the troops come out and cheer you on, which is cool.  There's good crowd support on the southern loop.  The front half of the northern loop goes through a park for a little bit and so its kinda nice.  The last few miles go through Fort Story and onto a fairly deserted beach road (with a munitions test range on your left if I'm not mistaken).  Its usually windy and its very boring.  Its kinda tough psychologically.  But almost every marathon has a little of that somewhere.  You end on the boardwalk and then onto the beach where there's beer and hot irish stew.  I'll never forget when I tried to walk off the beach with my beer and a cop stopped me and said, "You'll have to stay on the beach with that beer," and I thought, "Where have you been all my life!".

Dreamn

I was looking forward to the military base coming out and cheering but my Shamrock experience was borrrrinnnnngggggg!  Even the crowd on the boardwalk in the final 1/4 mile was dead.  They were probably cold, but still, they were so quiet.  I couldn't help but feel sorry for the marathoners.  Cold, windy, and the only cheers were from the volunteers working the water stops.  I'd still race it again.

Ball of Fury

Thanks everyone!  I do not think it is a stress fracture and neither does the MD really, but he said he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he missed a femoral stress fracture...lol!  I have extra $ in my HSA from my employer contribution so I will just have the MRI and be done with it.  And yes, Roll, I had 2 Dos Equis Amber and then a chocolate salted caramel cupcake and I feel better!!  I absolutely will suck it up, do whatever therapy I need to do, and come back stronger and more determined!  And as dumb as it sounds, I haven't completely ruled out the HM next weekend if I feel better. Yeah, I'm just that dumb!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Amik - Fret not.  You are doing the right things to KEEP running which are always the right things.  Races are fun but you cant race if you are hurt.  Get fixed and concentrate on telling yourself how wise a runner you are.

Dont worry about my vote for a group meeting.  I would be 50/50 due to family if I could make it or not and thats even if the race was in Indy.

So my first PT appintment is in the books.  Went directly after a 8.25 miler this morning.  First concentration is on my pelvis which is completely out of alignment.  I have alot of homework to do on that, but she was impressed that a little work on the table was able to help almost immediatley.  Then she got to work on the left side of my back and my left ITB.  We are using SASTON instead of Graston, which is the same thing, just using different materials in the tools (ceramic) which allows the practitioner to actually feel the fascia/muscle resonate through the tool.  I will probably have some bruising tomorrow, but I was very, very impressed by the help I got today and am looking forward to every visit.

The 8.25 miles this morning was nice.  Temps were nice, legs didnt feel to terrible bad, sun was out, and just felt nice to do one of the things I like to do.  Run.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Afternoon donuts.  Just a quick check in while having a late lunch.  Ran a MP run this morning on flat terrain that wasn't a high school track!  Whee!  Anyway, ran a w/u mile then 6 miles at 8:46, 8:41, 8:30, 8:33, 8:34, and 8:35.  Followed up with a half mile c/d.  8:30s are a little aggressive for MP, but it just felt so much easier on the flats.

Donut meet up race:  I think Shamrock is a good east coast selection.  Like Jedi, if I don't get a BQ or don't get enough of one to get in for 2014, I could definitely try for 2015 there.  If I do get into 2014 Boston, I'm not sure I'd run a tune up race that close.  Onemile....when did you run any tune up races during your last Hansons cycle?  I also agree with RVD on the ease of running/logistics for Chicago.  They know what they're doing up there.  However, it's a marathon only and already sold out for 2013.

AmiK:  Stay strong.  DNSing your HM may be difficult, but will pay huge dividends in the healing process.

Jedi:  Getting excited for your HM.  Can't wait until you "smash it" as cbus says!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

FYI... I am eating a donut right now. I do feel a little guilty about it though

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Docket_Rocket

When I talked about Virginia Beach, he made a resounding no answer.  But I'll need all 50 states eventually....

Here is a "Stuff to do in Virginia Beach" thingie from one of the marathon web pages.  It seems to me that there were naval base tours or some such available in Norfolk also, if I remember right from the hotel brochure.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I just ate a cupcake.  10X better than a donut and they won't make me gain weight (these are all natural vegan and delicious).

FYI... I am eating a donut right now. I do feel a little guilty about it though

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

And I am disappointed with anyone who doesn't think Utah is a great place to visit. As Cbus said, the canyons are beautiful and skiing in the Winter is great too.

I've been there and loved it! I'm vacationing in Moab this summer.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of spousal love for all these marathons.  Either my DH hides it well or he just really doesn't mind coming to races.  I'll just sign up and if he can't go I just go on my own lol.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

I did that for NY.  However, it cost me close to $2500 for myself alone.  Yikes.

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of spousal love for all these marathons.  Either my DH hides it well or he just really doesn't mind coming to races.  I'll just sign up and if he can't go I just go on my own lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bagopux

I just ate a cupcake.  10X better than a donut and they won't make me gain weight (these are all natural vegan and delicious).

I had an ice cream sundae for dinner last night.  nothing else.  just an ice cream sundae.  Best.  Dinner.  Ever.

The one time I camped in Moab I was in town and a storm blew threw the campground and blew my tent away.  Some other campers grabbed it and staked it down somewhere else.  It was pretty unsettling getting back to the campground and someone else had staked there own tent where mine used to be!

On spousal support, I was already a marathoner before I met my gf of many years, so she knew what she was getting into.

onemile

That's what I do!

onemile

Mdawg - for tune up races, I ran a 15k in week 8, and a half in week 14.