Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

mdawg87

Afternoon everyone!  Ran 10+ miles this morning at an easy pace.  I say 10+ because my Garmin 305 wouldn't work at all.  Like wouldn't even turn on.  It was fully charged after yesterday's run so I think it may officially be dead.  It's about 5 years old.  Anyone else have one give out around that age?  Is there something I can do to resurrect it?  If not, any recommendations for a replacement?  Anyway, the run was great otherwise.  Nice and flat and warm, but not humid plus there was a light breeze.  Saw a rather large turtle scurrying across the road to the golf course water hazards.  Sure hope he didn't get eaten by a gator!

Support:  As you've heard me say before, I have the best DH in the world when it comes to running.  He's as into endurance sports as I am so it's a happy mdawg house regarding training, racing, etc.  The best times are when we get to train together.  I am thankful every day that we share the same active lifestyle.

Shamrock:  It all depends on Boston qualifying for me.  I really hope I have to decide if it fits into Boston training!  I'm just not sure on running a tune up race that close.   Although, onemile did it and clearly it worked out well for her!  I assume it would be both DH and me running, but I've yet to discuss it with him since I'm out of town.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Afternoon everyone!  Ran 10+ miles this morning at an easy pace.  I say 10+ because my Garmin 305 wouldn't work at all.  Like wouldn't even turn on.  It was fully charged after yesterday's run so I think it may officially be dead.  It's about 5 years old.  Anyone else have one give out around that age?  Is there something I can do to resurrect it?  If not, any recommendations for a replacement?  Anyway, the run was great otherwise.  Nice and flat and warm, but not humid plus there was a light breeze.  Saw a rather large turtle scurrying across the road to the golf course water hazards.  Sure hope he didn't get eaten by a gator!

Support:  As you've heard me say before, I have the best DH in the world when it comes to running.  He's as into endurance sports as I am so it's a happy mdawg house regarding training, racing, etc.  The best times are when we get to train together.  I am thankful every day that we share the same active lifestyle.

Shamrock:  It all depends on Boston qualifying for me.  I really hope I have to decide if it fits into Boston training!  I'm just not sure on running a tune up race that close.   Although, onemile did it and clearly it worked out well for her!  I assume it would be both DH and me running, but I've yet to discuss it with him since I'm out of town.

When I was planning my fall race schedule, I asked a TON of people when the best time to run a tune-up HM was, and although I got a lot of different responses, the overall consensus was 4-5 weeks out.

ETA:  Nice run today!  I have the 410, which I hear is being phased out so is on sale a few places.  I like it a lot!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Wife is supportive, especially for a non-runner but I come here for like minded interaction and support. She doesn't mind that either. So, I am with you on the "other people that glaze over".

My run was interesting. Read about the entire second mile before getting excited about the pace. So my usual out and back, this one is a little over 6 miles and I planned on a tempo run. First mile was the normal getting warmed up and into the groove. The beginning of the second mile was on pace for about 100 yards and then suddenly became a 5K race pace as it became a matter of preserving dignity. GI issues aren't a problem for me usually but instantly became a pressing matter. So, the nearest place I could find was a subway franchise. A 36 yr old man with wind blown hair, a partially sweat soaked shirt, short running shorts, a handheld plastic Camelbak water bottle and a face with a look of terror walks thru the door and it was as if the music stopped. Can you imagine what those poor patrons were thinking. I hurried to the restrooms as I tried to look as normal as possible. I left as quickly as I arrived, in fact was mid stride before letting go of the front door of the Subway franchise. Altered my course to ensure access to facilities at a moments notice. Managed to finish the balance of 6 without alarm but was hoping for 7 or 8.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

Wife is supportive, especially for a non-runner but I come here for like minded interaction and support. She doesn't mind that either. So, I am with you on the "other people that glaze over".

My run was interesting. Read about the entire second mile before getting excited about the pace. So my usual out and back, this one is a little over 6 miles and I planned on a tempo run. First mile was the normal getting warmed up and into the groove. The beginning of the second mile was on pace for about 100 yards and then suddenly became a 5K race pace as it became a matter of preserving dignity. GI issues aren't a problem for me usually but instantly became a pressing matter. So, the nearest place I could find was a subway franchise. A 36 yr old man with wind blown hair, a partially sweat soaked shirt, short running shorts, a handheld plastic Camelbak water bottle and a face with a look of terror walks thru the door and it was as if the music stopped. Can you imagine what those poor patrons were thinking. I hurried to the restrooms as I tried to look as normal as possible. I left as quickly as I arrived, in fact was mid stride before letting go of the front door of the Subway franchise. Altered my course to ensure access to facilities at a moments notice. Managed to finish the balance of 6 without alarm but was hoping for 7 or 8.

I'm sorry but as someone who frequently has gi issues while running (it is no fun to have to go on the side of the road with only leaves available...but at least it's usually dark when I run), I had to laugh out loud at this!!!  Thank you for the entertainment!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Totally laughing out loud at both of you!!  My last episode was on a cut cornfield, and let me tell you, a dried up corn stalk leaf just hurts.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Totally laughing out loud at both of you!!  My last episode was on a cut cornfield, and let me tell you, a dried up corn stalk leaf just hurts.

I am glad you said corn stalk and not corn cob

DetroitTigerFan

GI issues aren't a problem for me usually but instantly became a pressing matter. So, the nearest place I could find was a subway franchise. A 36 yr old man with wind blown hair, a partially sweat soaked shirt, short running shorts, a handheld plastic Camelbak water bottle and a face with a look of terror walks thru the door and it was as if the music stopped. Can you imagine what those poor patrons were thinking. I hurried to the restrooms as I tried to look as normal as possible. I left as quickly as I arrived, in fact was mid stride before letting go of the front door of the Subway franchise. Altered my course to ensure access to facilities at a moments notice. Managed to finish the balance of 6 without alarm but was hoping for 7 or 8.

roll - was this you at 0:53 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcVJMvVWDA

Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Ive been dealing with a persistent cough, and today I just felt terrible, so I took a URD. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some miles in tomorrow.

As far as conversations with others re running, DW is pretty supportive, although I don't think she understands the finer details of training. Most people who know I run are pretty supportive, but unless they are runners too, I usually don't talk running with them. But to be honest, I can't really blame others if they glazed over--I mean, even I glaze over, wonder if I'll need ITBS replacement surgery, and question why I'm doing any of this when I'm blowing up in a race or having a bad run.

Shamrock, this would be a pretty significant commitment financially for me. So I need to make sure others will be there, if I decide to do this. So far, only Roll has firmly committed. Everyone has caveated in one way or another. I'm thinking I need at least three people to firmly commit before I will. The price of entry does not change until June 30. Assuming, it doesn't sell out, that gives everyone almost two months to decide. If three people firmly commit before the fee change, then I'll register for the race. By the way, I'd be doing only the half.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

roll - was this you at 0:53 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcVJMvVWDA

Smile

I felt like I should apologize on my way out.

DetroitTigerFan

Roll - I think that happens to all of us

One time I was running in a residential area - about 2 miles away from my house.  That happened and I had no where to go - I had to "hold" my present state, thinking positive thoughts running for another mile to a local McDonalds. Luckily no-one was in the bathroom stall - If the door would have been closed I would have had to kick it down like Van Damme and force the occupant to leave - LOL

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Docket - they have 8k day before and you can get a another medal if you do 8k with HM or full like Goofy called Dolphin I think.

Cbus - race never sells out.

Nice progressive 8 miler today for me. Last 4m - 748,738,717,654.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ha ...DetroitVanDamme

CBus - get well brother ...Vitamin C , honey and cinnamon

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I can commit to the half. Why the hell not Smile target pace 1:40? 1:39:39?

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

ap4

Mdawg- From the Forums/Garmin website:

To do a soft reset on the Garmin 305:

1. Connect the device to your computer via the USB cable

2. Press and hold mode and reset (lap) buttons together for 10 sec

3. Release and wait 3 seconds

4. Power on device once it starts to charge.

Update the operating system via myDashboard.

Charge completely.

If this doesn't work, there's a thread on the Gears and Wears Forum about a battery replacement service for about $35.  The 310xt is probably the most similar, will get you 20 hours vs most of the other ones 410, 210, 10 which give you 8.  Just in case you forget to charge or are inclined to do an ultra.  Like AmiK, I have the 410 and like it pretty well. It's not quite as nerdy looking as the 305 or 310xt,

Shamrock-probably not, already signed up Surf City 2014.

GI adventures- What the heck are you guys eating before?

Cbus-get well soon!