Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

akalei

Morning all!  and happy Friday!  6 or so on tap for me today... looking forward to getting out in this beautiful weather with pup and letting him chase some ducks Smile  Having said that, Mdawg, I hear you on this weather! No motivation today (thankfully, none of my work is pressing today--ha!)

Roll: Good luck on your 5K!  Kick its butt!

Ami: Hope you're feeling better today!

Sprinkles: I've heard good things about Bird-In-Hand (it's about 40 mins from me).  I actually ran the 5K back in 2010, when Reinke was running it.  It was a beautiful course and lots of sweet Amish folk out cheering you on Smile  Since Reinke left, I'm sure it's only gotten better--a friend ran it last year and was very happy.  Also, if you were hell bent on RNR Philly, I did it 3 weeks before Steamtown last year without any issues.

QOTD: I might be bad about this, but I just go to an Italian restaurant the night before the race.  Of course, I progressively take in more the week leading up to the race if it's a full (don't worry about HMs so much), but yeah, just a good Italian pasta dish the night before.  Like the chicken tivoli I had the night before Shamrock.  YUM.  Now I'm hungry.

Another question for you shoe nuts.  I've been a Brooks, particularly PF, devotee, for a while.  Well long story short, turns out the PF2 has been causing problems in my foot that I thought was tendonitis or a neuroma (or even taper madness) RIGHT before Shamrock.  So now I'm running in my old, worn out ones and I'm looking for a new shoe, preferably with very little to no heel-to-toe drop, decent cushioning, like my good ol' PFs.  Thinking Kinvara at the moment but I can be swayed.  Any suggestions?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

I always use the Aussie Carbo Loading plan.

Docket_Rocket

akalei, I feel the Kinvaras are different than the PFs, but they are also a good shoe.  Try them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 4ish miles on tap today. The sun's been out, so that's great.

Indi, kick butt!

Ami, I've been taking Mucinex, and that's helped more than anything else. Are you gettting sun too?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Hey all,

Got 4ish miles on tap today. The sun's been out, so that's great.

Indi, kick butt!

Ami, I've been taking Mucinex, and that's helped more than anything else. Are you gettting sun too?

I am so dumb...have Mucinex at home and haven't been taking it..didn't even think about!  I will take some tonight...thanks!  It is sunny here but I am at work.  Hope to get out at a decent time and try to get in a few miles!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

bagopux

QOTD: For my last full I followed the plan in "Endurance Sports Nutrition" by Suzanne Eberle.  I've pushed this book before because its got a lot of valuable info in it.  It has a several day plan which culminates in taking in 5 g carbs per pound of body weight for the final fuel up.  (Pretty sure that ratio is correct, but not 100% positive.)  I tried to follow it very closely for my last marathon and was shocked at how much I was supposed to eat on the final couple of days.  I couldn't quite get to the recommended level.  But I ate a lot more than I probably would have had I not tried to follow the plan and in the end I felt very well fueled and not heavy.  I think that paying some attention to recommended intake amounts and not just randomly eating a lot is worth doing.

Docket, I'm glad my mad statistician efforts are at least providing some distraction for you.

akalei

Got the Virratas--love them at first try.  Gonna try them out on a short run this afternoon.  Also, I just ordered Kinvaras on RW for $55 (they were $100 in store).  Woohoo!  Big grin

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

I just ordered a couple pair of running shoes from lemingfootware.com, namely Primal 1 (brown) and Primal 2 (black).  I've heard great things about how comfortable these shoes are.  Looking forward to finding out.

Thanks for the good lucks. I have only run twice so far this week. Some family matters have taken precedent so I am not as confident in my time tomorrow. Stay tuned.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I'm curious how you feel about the Kinvaras.  I've been considering trying them.  I've also been thinking about the Wave elixir (I can wear slight support or neutral).  I like a little more heel than the PF's for every day- I've noticed I need to strengthen my calves a bit more.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

DetroitTigerFan

re: QOTD - I still have alot to learn with carb loading before a race.  I posed an interesting pasta question in the food forum in terms of is pasta the best carb and got some feedback. However, back on point, one thing for me that i've had to be careful with is the quantity of food in general before a race.  In other words how do you time your carbs and get what you need without overstuffing ourselves with food (food that could "manifest itself" 5 minutes before a race or around mile #17 -lol).   Maybe my question is more GI related.  You hear these stories of pasta-fests the night before as if stuffing our faces to our stomachs max is a good pre race ritual.  Maybe it is or maybe it isnt but it scares me.  I've also read that having frequent smaller meals before a race can be good - but i'm going to see what you all discuss and may try out some new things this year pre-race. I'd like to learn more about race nutrition I guess and see what your experiences have been too

Indy - good luck with your race !!!!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

White Lightning

DTF - I have that same concern.  My rule before an early morning LR or race is to eat my last big meal at 5 pm the night before with quite a bit of fiber so i'ts ready to "go" first thing in the morning.  Then first thing in the morning some toast and jam will get things going like clock work.  Fitzgerald recommends a 3 day carb load but what i've noticed following his diet advice is you are never really that low on glycogen so you don't need to truly load up because he keeps you topped up all the time.  Unless you try his whole fat load thing which I find pretty weird.  Go read that book.  Even if you don't follow his diet advice there is a ton of great information in there

Indi - good luck tomorrow, know you're going to do great!!

me - Yoga yesterday then Legs, Back and Abs today.  I did my first real pull-up today since, well, ever.  Looking like i'm ready to get back running tomorrow as the core work has been helping quite a bit.  I did real sit-ups today.  Really excited.

Play the Game Hard!

DetroitTigerFan

DTF - I have that same concern.  My rule before an early morning LR or race is to eat my last big meal at 5 pm the night before with quite a bit of fiber so i'ts ready to "go" first thing in the morning.  Then first thing in the morning some toast and jam will get things going like clock work.

Josh  - wow - fiber the night before - I'd be way too scared to try that myself but if it works for you that's great. Has it ever not timed out to when you'd expect?.  In fact, I usually try to avoid any fiber the week before the race - lol - but i guess everyone's system is a little different.  During my training last year, most of the fiber i had was after my long run (since i usually had an off day afterwards,etc) lol

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Good luck Indi

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

I've heard that sometimes a really steep taper works out just fine.  Good luck. We're all rooting for you!!

Thanks for the good lucks. I have only run twice so far this week. Some family matters have taken precedent so I am not as confident in my time tomorrow. Stay tuned.