Sub-4 Marathon Group

MDI Marathon RR (Read 25 times)

For my third marathon, I chose the Mount Desert Island Marathon in Bar Harbor, Maine. I currently consider myself a once-a-year marathoner, and I prefer fall races because I find training during the mild summers in Calgary far preferable to the frigid, snowy winters. Fall marathons within driving distance of my home are few and far between. In October 2011 and 2012, we drove 8 hours to Kelowna, British Columbia, for my marathons. I am from Maine, so I try to get back and visit every couple years or so. MDI fit into our schedule pretty well. Definitely not driving distance, but we could turn it into a family vacation.

Training: I had a great training cycle, using Pfitz 18/55 for the second time around. I had a base of about 35-40 mpw going into it. I only missed a couple of shorter runs. I followed it pretty much exactly, including the taper schedule, which I sometimes have a tendency to want to change. I noticed my easy pace was slightly faster during most workouts, as compared to last year (by about 15 sec/mile).

Race weekend: We flew into Portland, Maine, late Tuesday night, and only had a full day and a half to visit family and friends there. We made the 3 1/2 hour drive up to Bar Harbor on Thursday. We took a quick drive up to the top of Cadillac Mountain for some breathtaking scenery. My girls sat in the car. On Friday, my girls and I walked from our hotel to the race expo, which was at another hotel just 5 minutes away. It was a very quaint, well organized expo. There were dozens of volunteers hanging out together, and a definite feeling of camaraderie that permeated the entire race weekend.

My brother and his girlfriend drove up from Portland for the weekend to stay with us. Fortunately, the government shutdown ended the day we arrived (Friday), so we were able to spend Saturday touring Acadia National Park together. We planned to drive the park loop road and visit a couple of sights along the way. Unfortunately, we passed Thunder Hole without realizing and were on a one-way road, so we had to park up the road a bit and hike back, a couple of hours round trip. That was a little more time on my feet than I had planned for my day before the race, but I was glad to have the chance to hike through the amazing forest along the rocky coast of Acadia. Evergreens heavily perfumed the cool, damp air as we walked. The fall foliage was lit in all its reds, oranges, yellows, and various greens.

Nutrition: I made sure to keep a bag of snacks (bagels, muffins, cookies, apples and bananas) in my room to make sure I carb loaded properly the 2-3 days prior to the race. This is something I didn't pay close attention to before my last 2 races (which I had major fades in, not sure if that was due to glycogen depletion, or training, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance and took it more seriously this time around.) Travelling with the family, it's tough to stay on a schedule. I definitely ate my share of carbs this weekend. I had a big pancake breakfast Saturday morning, and a pasta dinner with plenty of bread that evening. My snacks filled in the rest of the day.

Race plan: I was worried both before and during the race. Was I properly prepared for the hills? My original goal was 4:15 as race day grew closer, but I started rethinking this. I realized once I was almost done this training cycle that Garmins are wildly inaccurate at estimating elevation change, and of course I was running much less elevation change than I had thought. And then there is part of the verbage from the race instructions: “Our best advice is to treat this race as a mini ultra-marathon. The terrain is challenging and personal bests for the distance are extremely difficult to achieve on this course. Unless you know the route well and have trained extensively on hills we suggest starting more conservatively than usual.” We also drove part of the course the day before, and the hills were very intimidating. In my last two (flat) marathons, I really struggled during the last 6 miles. I couldn't imagine compounding that feeling with having to run that long of an incline, so I went with my gut and decided to be really conservative with my pacing the first half.

Race Day: On race morning, I woke at 5:30 a.m. I ate half a plain bagel, a banana, a cup of coffee, and a couple glasses of water. I fussed over my shoe choice. I have been alternating between Asics 2170s (which I wore for both previous marathons), and my new Mizuno Elixirs, which I love, but I was worried they wouldn't offer enough cushion from the pounding on the hills. I took my chances and went with the Elixirs. They were a non-issue, and I'm really glad I wore them. I chose to wear my lulu short sleeve Run Swiftly shirt and speed shorts (another decision I fussed over – shorts or capris? - I was also glad to have chosen the shorts.) Donned a hat because of the forecast of showers. Lots of body glide. I chose not to wear a HR monitor. The strap has a tendency to chafe me on longer runs, and I didn't want the distraction of the data.

The race was scheduled for 8 a.m. At 7 a.m., we drove the quick 5 minutes to the downtown area and found parking close by. It was around 50F and light showers. Before the start, the 700+ runners lined up in the start area, and the race director spoke a few words. There was a moment of silence for the Boston victims, and then a man played Amazing Grace on the bagpipes. He started at the back of the crowd, and it was completely silent except for his solemn hymn as the runners parted and he walked up the middle to the start line. This was an extremely emotional moment for me, and I'm sure everyone shared my view.

Race time!: The race started, and the first mile is mostly flat or slightly downhill along Main Street in downtown Bar Harbor. There was quite a crowd of runners so rather than waste any energy on trying to get on pace, I used the first mile as a warm up. I probably started a little too far in the back, in hindsight. It stopped raining just about the time the race started. Mile 1: 10:11

Mile 2/3 were net uphill, so again I reasoned it was ok to not quite be on pace. 10:17/10:12

There were water stations every 2 miles, and I stopped to have a few ounces of water at every one. I walked for a few moments through each station. I took GU (orange) at miles 4/10/14/20.

I took my first GU, and as I approached the water station, I noticed all the volunteers were calling out “Gatorade”. I asked about water, and was told it was further down. All I saw were Gatorade cups so I kept running, and it wasn't until I passed up the station completely that I realized the water was now behind me (camouflaged in gatorade cups!) I chatted with another runner who had made the same mistake. I worried I might have issues with not washing the GU down, but was thankful it happened in Mile 4. I didn't make this mistake again.

The course was just as magnificent as I had read about and imagined. Every twist and turn in the road led to new views of the forests with the stunning foliage, the ocean, rocky shoreline and sandy beach, the infamous tree at mile 14, and quaint little towns of cottages adorned with lobster buoys and tiny little shops along the main road. On top of the spectacular scenery, the spectators and volunteers were plentiful and positive energy. It felt like the entire town was there. At the halfway point, there was a man with a microphone announcing runners' names as we passed, encouraging us on.

The miles ticked away along the rolling hills, and I continued to feel strong through the halfway point. 2:11:53. That is when I decided to pick up the pace a bit. I slowly picked off one runner after the next. At mile 20, I was surprised at how strong I felt. I kept pushing at the same pace. Mile 21 I encountered the long hill that went until mile 25 (with a couple short stretches where it levelled off a little). This is where I picked off a lot more runners. I passed every runner I could, and most of them were walking at this point. I had to time my passes, as we were running along a narrow shoulder facing heavy traffic, which was my least favorite thing about the course. There were pylons, and the cars were going very slow, but certainly not ideal. I felt a cramp in my quad around mile 23. It was painful but didn't slow me down. After a mile or so, it disappeared. I was a little surprised, because with both of my previous marathons, I dealt with bad muscle cramps in my quads and calves during the last 10k. Mile 25 was a bit of a struggle, but mile 26 came in all its downhill glory, and aided me to the finish. Well, except for the very last roughly half mile that was another uphill. My brother ran with me the last couple hundred meters. I tried to run harder but I didn't have anything left. I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face.

Final net (chip) time: 4:20:34

Current PR: 4:19:22 (DARN! I didn't realize I was that close!)

After my finish, with my little brother and my two daughters:

I forgot to hit stop on my garmin, so I am unsure of my pace for the last 0.4ish miles (guess I didn't run the tangents), but I tried to remove the erroneous data at the end of my run, and came up with splits of 2:10:52/2:08:47. The second half was definitely more difficult, too. I feel like I probably left 3 minutes on the course based on the negative split and my too conservative start. However, this was the most fun I have ever had running a race - of any distance. Negative splitting a marathon is a great feeling. I would do this race again in a heartbeat.

Results: According to my garmin, I have run all 3 marathons at a 9:51 average pace. What?!!? My first race was using Higdon Int I, ran a 4:21 – flat course, faded slightly over last 6 miles, felt like death after. Second time, same course, ran a 4:19 off Pfitz 18/55. I was just coming off having bronchitis, and didn't know until race morning if I was even going to be well enough to run. Faded hard this race, but I was happy to just finish under the circumstances. I ran the tangents better, which was enough to give me a PR. This time around, I again ran the same pace, but on this much tougher course and finishing as strong as I did, I am happy with my results here.

Split info:

Place/bib/name/age/gender/city/age group/AG place/Gender place/Halfway gun time/overall gun time/gun time pace/chip time/chip time pace

<colgroup><col width="12*" /> <col width="12*" /> <col width="17*" /> <col width="29*" /> <col width="9*" /> <col width="6*" /> <col width="23*" /> <col width="3*" /> <col width="19*" /> <col width="9*" /> <col width="12*" /> <col width="22*" /> <col width="22*" /> <col width="19*" /> <col width="22*" /> <col width="19*" /> </colgroup>

Paula

Mcdonald

F

Calgary

F4044

2:11:53

4:21:18

0:9:59

4:20:34

0:9:57

I placed 17/39 for my AG, 106/308 female, 335/722 overall.

Now, the big question: What next???

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

runlikeagirI

Great report and congratulations! That is a bucket list race for me for sure.  I cried just reading about the bagpiper, cannot imagine how it must've been in person.

Runlikeagirl, I highly recommend this race if you ever get the chance!! And yes, I held back the tears during Amazing Grace.

Huh. I just noticed the photo from the start line. I wonder if MacKenzie (#766) will run for a proper pair of running shoes? LOL

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Fantastic RR, Paula!  Great race!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DetroitTigerFan

Paula - nice job at the race. nice job on the negative split Smile

Cramps are so hard to diagnose.  I see in runners world, they are debated a lot on what causes them.  I've used Hammer Endurolyte pills during long runs in the summer and have had no isssues.  This past weekend, I only used one pill and it seemed to help - no issues,etc

I hear you on what's next - i'm the same way- have done Pfitz both times so what the heck would I do different ? my only other idea would be switch to hansons or another plan perhaps ?

re: Pfitz - just curious - did you do  tune up races - what were your times and how soon before the race?

lol at runner 766 !!!! what the...... !!!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

In my case, I believe the cramps in my previous 2 marathons were as a result of going out faster than my fitness dictated. This time around, I just think my quad was not happy with all the hills. Especially since it was only one muscle, and it went away after a short time.

I think I've benefited from a couple rounds of Pfitz, for sure. The first time through, I felt like I was flirting with injury a few times. This time, I felt much stronger. I think I could continue to improve with another round, but who knows. Of course, there is always the decision to increase mileage, and go with a higher mileage plan. I just am unsure of how much time I will be able to put into training with other family obligations. I will choose another race and go from there once I see what time I have available.

My Pfitz races didn't quite work out as planned. The first 10k race got cancelled. The second 10k I ran as a time trial due to schedule conflicts; I was a bit slower than I was at the race distance the year before, but with a time trial I think that's expected. The 3rd 10k ended up being a 6.9 mile race, and I never got official results. It was a double loop, and once I realized how much longer than a 10k it was, I backed off the pace some, since it was just 2 weeks out from my marathon. So I didn't really have a good race indicator going in this cycle. How about you?

PRs:

Oh, I should add too that I have never experienced muscle cramping during training runs.

PRs:

Smashy!!!

Paula! Awesome race. I want to see what you can do on a flatter course. Love that you matched your shirt to your shoes. Admit it. That's why you chose the Elixirs! Hehe.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ha, Daniel, that was a complete fluke that my shirt and shoes matched.  But seeing that made me want to go buy new clothes for my next race.  I am tired of seeing the same 3 shirts and standard black shorts in all my race photos.  I can't tell them apart anymore.

PRs:

Smashy!!!

Oh you should definitely go on a spree! You earned it. Wink

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Paula - on tune up races - I did a 10K ~9/8 and the HM ~9/15.  Some folks on RWOL have said take your HM, double the time and add 20 minutes.  Seems like a good rule of thumb - that would have put me at 3:50 and did the 3:57. Who knows, maybe I could have done better this cycle, but I just wanted to simply beat 4 hr mark. I'm happy since I ran it to the plan and was able to finish without getting sick like I did last year - lol.  It sounds like you did a good job managing the hills, especially when they said train as if it were an ultra - lol.  Agreed that you'll continue to do great, especially on a flat course.  Come over to MI and Windsor next year  - we have a great international course and you see 2 great cities (or at least a good one and bankrupt one) joking - lol........

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/