Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Banshee - how annoying. I would have given them the death glare.  but way to get the 21 miles done! woo hoo!!

Amik- I guess I am pretty good about gauging a realistic pace because I haven't blown up yet.  I'm not sure what to tell you but I like what Indiana recommends.

Indiana - I really like your mental toughness advice and agree completely!  I am still torn on my MP dilemma   I guess my current plan is to reassess after my 15k next Saturday.

Rollcast - what was the cause of your foot numbness, do you think?

14.5 done at 9mm.  Another marshmallow run.  We're supposed to warm up to the mid-30s later this week so I can shed some layers Smile

ap4

Onemile:  I think that's a big part of my problem...I have a specific pace I am supposed to hold, I go out too fast and then boom, I blow up!

CBus:  I definitely think I have an execution problem...I go out too fast and I know it.  But, I also have a problem where I realize I will not reach my goal and then just give up.  Or, maybe if I just pushed a bit harder for a mile or two, I would feel better and I would reach my goal, ya know? I mean, at my last HM, I was terrific until mile 11 and then I "blew up."  But, if I had just stuck with it for mile 12, I know for a fact I could have kept up that pace for another 1.1!

AmiK,

I've had the same problem as you with going out too fast.  For me, part of it is the adrenaline, part of it is needing to push myself beyond my expectations.  I dropped close to 20 minutes from my first half marathon to my second and my thick skull thinks if I just up my mileage, I can do the same for every race thereafter.  Here's where a HR monitor has helped me.  I just went through my past race data and find that although my HR is 150-160 during my long runs, I go out at 175-185 for my races.....way too fast to be sustainable.  Some of it will come easier as you get more endurance to sustain your paces longer, but for me it helps to constantly slow myself down after "blowing up" a number of times, most notably +28 minute split on my second marathon.  Today I had a goal pace, but also bargained with myself to keep my HR<170 for at least the first 13 miles.  Much better marathon experience.  Actually allowed me to finish strong rather than my typical death shuffle.  So in a sense, I think it helps my competitive side to know that the results will be better than trying for a pace that my body tells me I can't sustain.  For me, at least getting that feedback from HR helps keep me somewhat in check until later. So I don't think it's as much of  matter of mental toughness, it's more of finding where your fitness stands on that course on that day.  If your body says no, no degree of mental toughness can pull that off.  But it does help if it's not quite there and you're just being wimpy.  Again, I can look at my HR and tell myself to suck it up if I'm not working that hard.

Rollcast - what was the cause of your foot numbness, do you think?

I think, stay tuned, it was the compression shorts I started wearing under my regular running shorts. Maybe a size to small. Seems to have been restricting flow in my femoral artery. We will see

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indiana- training goes really well.  I've obviously missed a few miles this week due to the race, but my body is holding up well and I'm getting faster.  I need to get better about hydrating because it messes me up on longer runs at times.

Ami- glad to help...strategy is good. Lol I go out slow in marathons because I know I get stronger the longer the distance is, so I think it's a matter of what works for you

spin and weights today

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

I agree with ap's suggestions.  The HRM has made me realize that although you thought you were running at a pace you could sustain, you weren't.  Looking at that number also helps me not go out too fast and do a stronger marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  A recovery run and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.  SRD for me today.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Rusk Runner

Roll - Dont get me wrong, but that is too funny if its true.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Thanks again for all the great advice yesterday!  When I first started running, I did use a HRM but haven't done so in a long time.  I will try wearing it for the next couple of weeks and see what the numbers say.  DH and I did P90X Chest and Back this morning and then will each have an easy 4 this afternoon.  It's supposed to snow again today and tonight, so hopefully, we can still get our runs in.  I am thinking the intervals for tomorrow may have to be done on the TM because I don't think the track will be clear, especially if it snows again today.

Roll:  That actually happened to DH...he got a new pair of compression brief/shorts and it gave him weird hip and calf pain, so he had to stop wearing them.

Everyone else:   Have a great day!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Wow this thread moves quick on the weekend. Too busy with family to post much on weekends. i got some good runs this weekend. Wussed out Saturday and ran my quality running economy run on TM as did not d=feel like fighting wind and group was going to be on track and did not want to be tempted to join them.Smile 4m w/2min/1min/30sec @ 6;27 and 1min/30sec/30sec easy. 7;13 avg pace overall and 8.8m total with warm-up/cooldown to/from gym. Ran a really fast 13.2 with a group of friends whoa re all faster than me which was challenging and tough especvialy on the Hm course here, but held my own for most of it and slid in back of pack at times when i needed to. 1;45:18 for entire run and encouraged with Hm on same course in 5 weeks. Easy recovery 4.2m this morning. really needed it after yesterday.Smile

cbus - yeah that 5k plan looks tough but like it to get me in Hanson mindset after it's done with marathon training right after. Ran in Ronins twice now and did LR yesterday and convinced it will be my HM shoe as I felt really good in them yesterday. It's the Rider lite version to me.Smile

QOTD - i will move a run if weather warrants it. lately doing lot of quality on mill as too cold and snow and ice don't make that safe all the time.

What was eeryone's favorite Super Bowl commercial? I really like the Doritos one with dad and lil girl. That was funnu and the Go Daddy one let's not go there.Smile

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy @ 9:40ish. Tempos were in the teens, so I wore the balaclava. It was awesome.

Jedi, that Hansons 5k plan sounds tough! Have you run in the Ronin yet?

Nachos, glad you liked the GoRuns. It sounds like you're having a lot of success with less shoe.

Onemile, there are some things I should disclose about my marathon that might give YOU more confidence about your goal. There were a number of circumstances that probably contributed to my terrible time. First, I was pretty dead legged going into the race. In retrospect, I was probably a touch overtrained. Then, i was sick, and had a terrible cough during the race (ie phlegm, etc.). Then I walked a ton the day before between the airport, expo, and getting lost on my way to my motel. Then there was the motel, which was far away from any food, except Chipotle , and so my carbo loading consisted of a burrito. The motel also didn't have breakfast, so i had to run down to a gas station and buy some foods stuff (ie donuts!). I don't like to mention this stuff because it always sounds to me like I'm making excuses. But there was something definitely wrong on race day because the wheels were already coming off at mile 13, and I'd run faster HMs with less effort. I mention it now because I think my meltdown is not typical of overestimating one's fitness. So even though I'm still cautious and conservative when it comes to marathons, I don't think you should expect the type of meltdown I had even if 8:30 is a touch aggressive. So now when you hear me naysaying and doubting, just couch it in that experience with those circumstances, and that might give you the context from which my comments are coming.

Happy running all!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Sorry cbus, I missed this until Jedi quoted it.  Thanks for the details. Sounds rough. I know I hate to make excuses too but being sick and not being able to eat your normal diet could definitely have impacted your race.  What was your taper like? I'm sorta worried about the lack of taper on the Hansons plan.

And I do think 8:30 is too aggressive.   But somehow I still want to use it for training Smile

Onemile, there are some things I should disclose about my marathon that might give YOU more confidence about your goal. There were a number of circumstances that probably contributed to my terrible time. First, I was pretty dead legged going into the race. In retrospect, I was probably a touch overtrained. Then, i was sick, and had a terrible cough during the race (ie phlegm, etc.). Then I walked a ton the day before between the airport, expo, and getting lost on my way to my motel. Then there was the motel, which was far away from any food, except Chipotle , and so my carbo loading consisted of a burrito. The motel also didn't have breakfast, so i had to run down to a gas station and buy some foods stuff (ie donuts!). I don't like to mention this stuff because it always sounds to me like I'm making excuses. But there was something definitely wrong on race day because the wheels were already coming off at mile 13, and I'd run faster HMs with less effort. I mention it now because I think my meltdown is not typical of overestimating one's fitness. So even though I'm still cautious and conservative when it comes to marathons, I don't think you should expect the type of meltdown I had even if 8:30 is a touch aggressive. So now when you hear me naysaying and doubting, just couch it in that experience with those circumstances, and that might give you the context from which my comments are coming.

Docket_Rocket

I liked the Doritos "Goat for Sale" commercial but apart from that and the Fast 6 commercial, I didn't like anything else.  The Budweiser Clydesdale one made me cry but I had already watched it in FB prior to the game so I was warned.

Morning Donuts! Wow this thread moves quick on the weekend. Too busy with family to post much on weekends. i got some good runs this weekend. Wussed out Saturday and ran my quality running economy run on TM as did not d=feel like fighting wind and group was going to be on track and did not want to be tempted to join them.Smile 4m w/2min/1min/30sec @ 6;27 and 1min/30sec/30sec easy. 7;13 avg pace overall and 8.8m total with warm-up/cooldown to/from gym. Ran a really fast 13.2 with a group of friends whoa re all faster than me which was challenging and tough especvialy on the Hm course here, but held my own for most of it and slid in back of pack at times when i needed to. 1;45:18 for entire run and encouraged with Hm on same course in 5 weeks. Easy recovery 4.2m this morning. really needed it after yesterday.Smile

cbus - yeah that 5k plan looks tough but like it to get me in Hanson mindset after it's done with marathon training right after. Ran in Ronins twice now and did LR yesterday and convinced it will be my HM shoe as I felt really good in them yesterday. It's the Rider lite version to me.Smile

QOTD - i will move a run if weather warrants it. lately doing lot of quality on mill as too cold and snow and ice don't make that safe all the time.

What was eeryone's favorite Super Bowl commercial? I really like the Doritos one with dad and lil girl. That was funnu and the Go Daddy one let's not go there.Smile

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

I finally have something to contribute to the MP conversation! My coach and I went over my training so far last night and I gave her my thoughts on what I'd like to do on race day. She thinks I can go for 9:45 pace! Eek! This will be my first attempt at sub-10 minute miles in a marathon. I'm skerred! Big grin

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

akalei

Morning, donuts!  SRD with yoga tonight.  It's been a few weeks, so I'm excited.

cmb: Winter has a bad tendency to derail your training... I've been there.  When we ended up with sleet and snow on the morning of a 20 miler last year and decided to just push it back a week and fudge a few things around.  As long as it's not your only 20 miler, you'll be able to recoup regardless of what you do.

Sprinkles: Awesome time on the 4 miler!

As for commercials, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who turned into a sobbing mess during the Budweiser Clydesdale commercial.  That was the cutest thing ever.  The Go Daddy one was just uncomfortable.  That noise. EW.  I also liked the doritos one with the dad and his buddies dressing up.  And the E-trade baby is always a winner.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

I finally have something to contribute to the MP conversation! My coach and I went over my training so far last night and I gave her my thoughts on what I'd like to do on race day. She thinks I can go for 9:45 pace! Eek! This will be my first attempt at sub-10 minute miles in a marathon. I'm skerred! Big grin

Ha, I was going to try for a 4:20 finish, which meant a 9:55 pace which actually meant running at about 9:50 since one always runs more than 26.2 during the actual race.  But I damaged my left hamstring during an MP run Friday night, so now I'm not sure what to do.  I'll have to take several days off before I can even think about a slow treadmill run.  I have no idea when and by how much I can try to increase the intensity level.  This happens right in the middle of the meat portion of the Hanson program for the Shamrock.  Cry  So now I have no idea how to try to resume the Hansons' program or what kind of pace to target.