Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

mdawg87

Back from the sports doc and icing my leg.  Here are the highlights.

1.  Soreness to be expected as we are stressing the injury (but not too much) to get it back to normal use.  It should lessen each time with proper stretching, icing, and rest between runs.

2.  More ART to stretch it some more and relieve some more of the tightness

3.  I can run every other day for a max of an hour at a time.  I'm to use a 1 - 1.5 incline on the TM.

He didn't want to do anything with my shoes until I could run again, so we got into that today.  He had me walk barefoot, examined my shoes closely (Saucony Guide 6s), and then had me run on the TM.  He says I need a more neutral shoe and that I don't pronate hardly at all.  I've been wondering that myself ever since I tried on the Kinvaras and my pronation was very minimal in those.  He doesn't think a minimalist shoe like the Kinvara is a good idea, but that a basic neutral shoe would be.  Looks like I'll be doing some running shoe shopping this weekend.  I'm definitely willing to give neutral shoes a shot.  He said my current shoes are okay for now as the support is quite minimal, but it would be best to get rid of it.  I wonder if I was fitted improperly or if pronation can be corrected over time?  Hmmm...p

Shoe recommendations are welcome...cbus, anyone?

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Mdawg, I do think our running form changes over time, and as we pile up the miles we can find a more efficient running style.

I must say I am amazed by how much elite runners vary in their running form, just for a few examples you can see on YouTube if you are interested in the subject:

1) Priscah Jeptoo- heels fly out to the side on back kick.

2) Joan Benoit- toes turn out and both feet make a sort of semi circle motion before the foot plant.

3) Paula Radcliffe- head bobbing around all over the place.

4) Grete Waitz- fluid, light on her feet, just beautiful to watch.

RV sorry to hear about the injury, hope you recover soon!

Banshee, go for the 9:45, it's a race! Challenge yourself, you had a strong 21 miler.

Ran a 10 mile tempo yesterday, not much short of race pace, a good hard effort. Taking it easy today, reading about the discovery of the skeleton of Richard III in Leicester, England, where I was born.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ball of Fury

I posted this a couple hours ago, but don't see it so I will try again.  After work, I headed out for my easy 4-miler.  When I left, it was snowing but was actually quite pleasant because it was right around 32 and not windy at all.  Run started off good, but my legs just felt a bit tight, especially the calves.  By mile 2, it went from snowing to SNOWING!  I could barely see and it was accumulating pretty quickly.  I was running on the road in my neighborhood because the sidewalk isn't clear yet but thought maybe I could just hurry up and finish.  But, the road started to get pretty slick and the final straw came when the cars started sliding while trying avoid me!  I decided the last mile was not worth my life so I headed home.  Got in 3 miles @ 9:52 and then played in the snow with the family!  First day of real Hanson speed work tomorrow...I guess in the TM.

MDawg:  Try the Mizuno Wave Riders

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Was gonna do 6 but it was snowing pretty good, and by the time I got home, the sidewalks were a couple inches deep in snow. So I only got in 5.6. The schedule officially calls for only 5, so I'm okay mileage wise. But unless they work overnight on clearing the sidewalks and bike paths, tomorrow's Speed workout is in jeopardy. Kudos to CMB, Onemile, Indi, and anyone else who is marathon training in this snow. I could not imagine running 10-20 miles in this stuff. By the end of today's run I was feeling it, almost like the end of a race.

Mdawg, my suggestion would be to go to a good LRS with a wide selection, and try a bunch of neutral shoes and see what fits and feel best. But if you prefer Saucony, then try the Ride, which is the neutral counterpart to the Guide.

Josh, nice weather!

Regarding Super Bowl commercials, we don't have cable, so I didn't to see either.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

mdawg - glad you're getting some answers! I went from overpronating to neutral over time too. I ended up in Saucony Triumphs until I switched over to Altras at the end of last year.

Simon - nice run!

Ami - glad you made it home safely!

Cbus - nice work in the snow!

The treadmill guy came out and it turns out that DH and I have a TM that isn't up to par for our level of use. It's got 1,800+ miles and 284 hours of use in about 2 years. We're replacing a couple parts to keep it running for longer but soon we'll need a new one. Any recommendations?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Work was crazy after lunch, the nerve!  Meeting after meeting, bah!

Anyway, I did 4 easy miles and weights.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

braycon

Busy day.  Sounds like everyone's doing well.  Six miles on the treadmill tonight.

QOTD - I'm a former advertising major and I can't begin to tell you how much I detest Super Bowl commercials and the hype that surrounds them.  Blech.  I want to see the game, not the spectacle around it.  Smile  Having said that, the Dorito/Goat commercial was the only one that made me chuckle.  The Go Daddy commercial was wrong...not the super model/nerd image, but the turned-up volume kissing sounds.  I like anything with Kaley Cuoco, but I don't remember the product she was advertising (ah, but I remember that appalling Go Daddy ad...those clever marketers).  You guys are just kidding when you say you cried/teared up at that Budweiser commercial, right?  Right?

Docket_Rocket

No.  I also cry when I see the ASPCA commercials.

Busy day.  Sounds like everyone's doing well.  Six miles on the treadmill tonight.

QOTD - I'm a former advertising major and I can't begin to tell you how much I detest Super Bowl commercials and the hype that surrounds them.  Blech.  I want to see the game, not the spectacle around it.  Smile  Having said that, the Dorito/Goat commercial was the only one that made me chuckle.  The Go Daddy commercial was wrong...not the super model/nerd image, but the turned-up volume kissing sounds.  I like anything with Kaley Cuoco, but I don't remember the product she was advertising (ah, but I remember that appalling Go Daddy ad...those clever marketers).  You guys are just kidding when you say you cried/teared up at that Budweiser commercial, right?  Right?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

QOTD forgot to answer: Didn't pay attention to any commercials, saw the part with the horse and went "aw"  and then went back to ignoring the superbowl entirely and talked about running.

tomorrow's 8  miles in the cold.  I'm such a chicken shit i might wear my little ski jacket.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

ap4

Hi Donuts,

Finally got the 4:00 monkey off my back.  This was my third marathon.  I crashed and burned hard in my second marathon and actually ran 10 minutes slower than my first with higher mileage and more "experience."  Finally got it through my head that I can't just run really fast and keep it up for all 26.2.  Little sore in the quads today, but not as bad as it's been, we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Sorry guys for not doing a formal race report, but here's the nitty gritty:  Surf City Marathon.  3:46:15 chip time, 15:45 PR for me.  8:38 pace overall.  The first marathon where I didn't fade hard in the second half from going out too fast.  Actually had a -4 minute split between halfs.   Kept the first half conservative, tested some boundaries in the second, and finished a lot stronger than I've been able to in the past.  Went through my past race data and was shooting for a 8:50 pace (3:50 marathon) time at the outset, but wanted to keep my HR under 170 because of my past history of flaming out.  (Past race records show me starting at 175-185 bpm from the get go, then a fade at  miles 18-22).  Flat race with awesome crowd and aid support.  Pretty much Vitalyte, water and some form of gel, shot blocks, or bananas and fig newtons every mile.  Some complained about it being too warm, with it being near 60 degrees at the start and in the 70's by the end, but I didn't really have any issues with it.  Next up, a fall marathon in October.

QOTD:  Was out to dinner and caught the Budweiser Clydesdale commercial and have to admit it did tug at my heartstrings a little.

Rusk Runner

ap4 - Congrats!  Sounds like a every well executed race!  Cant wait to see what you pull off this October.

Simon - Nice running!

Mdawg - Good luck and good shopping.  Try as many as you possibly can without looking at labels.

Amik and Cbus - Stay safe!

Sprinkles - Ruck Up Soldier!  Whats outside doesnt control whats inside!

Me - Started a treadmill run at 3:30 this morning as the road is absolutely in no condition to be run on.  Got my scheduled 8 miles done at a nice easy pace (9:41) while trying to convince myself of any reason I could to just quit running and go back to bed.  Thought about quitting every single mile, but went through the next one till I was done.

My right knee was a little tweaked this morning post run.  Never felt a sharp quick pain like that before, but it seems okay at the moment.  I will evaluate this tomorrow evening and swap easy miles for scheduled intervals if I have to.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! 9.3m for me with a warm-up/cooldown to/from gym and 4x200/200/800 w/200/400/400 recoveries on mill at gym. Last 800 really hurt at end as legs were a bit wobbly afterwards. Pretty good workout then.Smile #doworkgetfaster

mdawg - hope you get thru the leg issues. Can't go wrong with the Mizuno Wave Riders or precisions.

ap4 - nice job on the PR. Congratz!

Simon - nice job on the tempo

AmiK - snow was peaceful here last nite too.

banshee - mill repairs suck, but wish i had my own mill.

indi - nice job on the mill. All about getting miles in by hook or crook.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

CBus:  I agree with the snow...it's a special challenge to run at a certain pace while trying not to slip and fall.  Way to get your 5.6 done!  Hopefully, they are right and it's gonna get warmer this week!

Banshee:  That is a lot of miles on the TM!  Sorry I don't have any recs.

Docket:  Nice 4 with weights.  Hope your work day is better today.

Sprinkles:  Enjoy the cold 8 miles today Big grin

Ap:  Awesome job with the sub 4!!

Indy:  Way to get your 8 miles done on the TM...it's just torture isn't it?

Jedi:  Nice interval workout!!

Ok, so today was our first Hanson speed workout.  I was a bit concerned about getting it done because my run yesterday was just blah and only 3 miles but it actually went really well.  Had to hit the TM since the track is snow covered, but at least I knew my paces would be consistent.  I did a 1 mile warm-up @ 9:45/mile, then did 10 x 400 @ 7:19/mile (I had a choice between 7:19 and 7:13 and figured since it was my first speed workout and I really wanted to be able to finish, I should be conservative) and then did the last 2 x 400 @ 7:13.  I tried to do 400 m recoveries between @ 9:40/mile but had to cut a few short because I was running out of time before work.  I did make sure I had at least 1-1.5 minute recoveries though.  Then did 0.5 mile cool-down (was totally out of time at this point) for a total of 7 miles.  The first 4 intervals were pretty hard, but it seemed to get easier after that.  Honestly, the thing that hurt the most was my arms because they are so sore from doing Chest and Back yesterday...lol!  Hope everyone has a great day!  Oh, and I tried to use my HRM with my Garmin yesterday but I couldn't get it to pick-up?  I followed the directions and what not, but never got anything...suggestions??

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Congratulations Ap4, smart race.

Your taper seems unusual, although it is mostly easy running, in that you did  a long(ish) run in the week before your race, and you did not reduce your mileage as much as some people do. Was this a conscious decision?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

I'm waiting to run during lunch, hoping that the snow will melt enough for me to get my Speed workout in. We'll see.

AP, congrats and donuts! That's an awesome race. Way to show discipline and get a pretty nice negative split. Like Indi said, I'm interested to see what you can do in the fall!

Banshee, don't have any TM suggestions. But nice mileage though.

Indi, hope the knee turns out to be just a niggle.

Jedi, I like the motto. Do work, bro!

Ami, nice Speed workout. Don't have any suggestions on the HR monitor because I don't use mine, nor do I think will I ever.

Happy and safe miles to everyone else!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)