Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Ap4 - congrats!  I would be thrilled with that time!!

indiana - nice job sticking it out to complete your 8.  hope the knee is okay.

mdawg - Not sure on shoe recs because I wear max stability shoes.  Hope you can find the right ones.

Amik and Jedi - nice intervals, both of you!

Banshee - we have a Pacemaster Silver treadmill. It's ok but I only use it a couple times  a year - I prefer to run outside whenever I can Smile

I have the dreaded 3x1600 at 5k pace tonight on my schedule.  And I didn't realize this until a few days ago but I actually have this workout TWICE on my plan.  UGH.

ap4 - enjoy the win!!!!!!!

mdawg - try the Launch (Brooks)

Ami - must feel good to take down that speed work. fear of the unknown creates its own fear.

jedi - do work get faster for sure!

Indi - advil and then light stretching

Sprinkles - ski jacket? what are you gonna do witht hat thing when you get warmed up?

Braycon - i agree about the GoDaddy and the Budweiser commercial. BTW, my wife was an advertising grad from UT.

Onemile - its doable and dont fear the workout, just the result of not doing the workout.

SRD for me yesterday. Test the tight pants theory tonight.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

SRD for me yesterday. Test the tight pants theory tonight.

Also a good motto...Wink

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Also a good motto...Wink

almost its own thread....Smile

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

cmb4314

SRD here.  Was supposed to be yesterday, but I did my 20 last night so now my rest day is today and I'm pushing around my other runs this week.  Officially into taper now, though the first week of Pfitz's taper is basically just pulling out the MLR and leaving everything else the same.

Ap4 - Congrats on the sub-4!

Sprinkles - Do not wear the ski jacket.  I say this as someone who wore a ski jacket for 4 recovery miles on Saturday morning (LOL) - it was 1F, "feels like" -15F, and even then I was getting a little bit too warm by the end of 4 easy, extremely low HR miles.  I was feeling wimpy that morning and didn't want to be cold, and I figured for such a short run if I got too hot, I'd just deal Joking.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Trail Monster

Congrats AP4! That's a great PR!

nice running all.

im scheduled for a 60 minute steady state run. I'm supposed to take it outside. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

ap4

Congratulations Ap4, smart race.

Your taper seems unusual, although it is mostly easy running, in that you did  a long(ish) run in the week before your race, and you did not reduce your mileage as much as some people do. Was this a conscious decision?

Thanks for the congrats guys.  It feels good to actually see the results of the weeks of work.  To answer the taper question.  I did Pfitz's 12 week intermarathon schedule pretty by the book for the first 10 weeks.  Then I hit a little taper panic since it had me running 47 miles the week before the last week.  That was pretty much close to one of the peak weeks of my last schedule (HH Interm 2).  So I took the taper a little more aggressive than the schedule called for actually, going with the thought that it takes 8-10 days for a run to impact your fitness and it's better to err on the side of doing less.  I actually think that a  3 week taper is a little long for me and would do this again.  I was a little worried that I was overtrained since my HR was close to 160 on a couple of the "easy" runs the week of the marathon, thus the extra day off 2 days before, but it ended up being ok for me.  I wouldn't say my legs were "fresh and rearing to go" the day of the marathon, but they were a lot stronger than they've been in the past.  I think the extra carb loading 3 days prior helped too.

5 mile recovery today.

Trail Monster

Interesting. I haven't discussed a plan for taper with my coach. I don't even know if we're going to do 2 weeks or 3 weeks or somewhere in the middle. I think I'll just go with the flow instead of worrying about it though. So far she hasn't led me astray and doing things the way I want to hasn't yielded such great results in the past. I know I'm going to doubt it all anyway during taper though. Is there anything that you think would have made you feel fresher? What was your carb loading schedule like in the 72 hours before the race?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indiana & Roll - I grew a pair and wore a fleece, but I did wear capris under my sweatpants - I hate it when my legs get cold and hurt.

Ap4- Nice time! your time is my goal time for poconos.  Post your splits!

Mdawg- I switched out of support shoes to the Wave Rider this year and I love it - I have a minimalist shoe as well (the Pure Flow) and I rotate them so that I don't overstress my calves.  Support shoes = death to calves.

Ami- I love running in snow!

Me- 8 miles in the snow this morning- I didn't do the 10x100 m strides at the end because it was a bit slippery out and I had a hard time gripping the pavement as it was.  I figured I'd be better off not falling on my rear.  It was no problem going nice and slow on the snow though- it was pretty densely packed and slippery in places.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got my Speed workout done over lunch. 5X1K w/ 400 recovery + wu/cd = 7.75 mi. total. Workout was tough, especially with the longer intervals. But my pace was much more under control. Avg. 7:09. Tomorrow's a SRD, and it comes in the nick of time!

Cmb, I didn't realize you are entering taper. Congrats on getting through another cycle. Enjoy your taper, you earned it.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Too busy today, but here I am.  I have 10-14 miles tonight.  Most likely 10 since I have no time lately.

ap4, congrats!  Awesome race!

Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Canuck

Afternoon all.  Sorry I've been MIA, but work continues to be busy - probably will be for the next two weeks and I've also been unable to run.  My shins are better, but I had a weird trigger point/knot in my right lateral gastroc that was really bothering me.  I managed to massage the worst of it out, but it was still bothering me when I walk, so I went to chiro again today and he worked on it some more and also taped me up with Rock Tape.  I'm hoping to try a run tomorrow finally and see how it feels.  I did a spin class on the weekend and it was fine, so if running still bothers me, I might just deliberately take the rest of the week off and do several spin classes.  Definitely can't race the HM on the weekend, although, depending on how I feel, I may be able to just run it as a long run.  Fortunately they allow transfers, so I should get my money back.

Anyway, I've only skimmed the last 8! pages, but just wanted to say congratulations to ap4 on a great marathon!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

onemile

Nice job. The 1k intervals was where I thought it started feeling harder.  And I feel the exact same way about my rest day, every Wednesday!

Hey all,

Got my Speed workout done over lunch. 5X1K w/ 400 recovery + wu/cd = 7.75 mi. total. Workout was tough, especially with the longer intervals. But my pace was much more under control. Avg. 7:09. Tomorrow's a SRD, and it comes in the nick of time!

Ball of Fury

I am super excited about rest day tomorrow...and it's only my first week!  Of course, we have an upper body workout on the schedule but I may skip it...depending on how sore I still am in the morning.

Nice job. The 1k intervals was where I thought it started feeling harder.  And I feel the exact same way about my rest day, every Wednesday!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

White Lightning

ap4 - great job.  Would love to hit that time in the next year or so, great job

Banshee - I just picked up a Freemotion from Costco for $549 this summer.  Opened it up to calibrate it and its the same guts as a Nautilus.  Nothing fancy but has a 3.0 chp motor, big deck, lifetime on the motor and I think 15 years on the deck.  I just saw it at the Costco in Vegas for $449 this November.  Worst case, it gets replaced in a couple of years and its still cheaper than buying a big fancy one.  Does all of that ifit stuff but i don't know how to use it

amik - I'm on week 3 of P90X but i'm taking it easy for that reason.  Be real careful on the legs & back, learned my lesson on that one last weekend.  Skipped Plyo last night to give the legs a rest as well

Sprinkles - Glad you made it out

cbus - nice intervals

QOTD - Doing intervals and tempo on the TM, what incline do you run at?  My regular runs I play with my incline  between 1-3%.  Any advice?  Just keep it flat?  Too much ice out there for any fast running right now

Me - Had a rough start today.  Felt great and went out for my 10 GA and I had really bad right hip pain, like something is pinching.  I've had this hip pain for 4 weeks and for a few months before my last marathon, that's why I keep going to my chiro.  She twists and it goes away.  So finally made it back to my car after 5.2 gruelling miles @ 10:10.  Got home and I felt fine, zero pain.  I get on the TM and bang out 5 miles @ 9:27 and 2% incline, zero pain, got my 10 for the day.  Put my tights and jacket back on and go outside for a test and the pain is back.  I pulled my tights away from my hip as i'm running, pain goes away.  Think i'm getting fatter.  Anyways, chest & back later tonight, chiro first thing in the morning, get this hip thing sorted

Play the Game Hard!