Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

chubacca

I believe in the original Running Times article, one of the Hansons brothers said that they're to be run in the range of 5k-10k pace, but they tell people 10k because they're "probably going to run it faster anyway," or something like that. So, you're right, it's to emphasize the fact that they're not to be run too fast.

Rusk Runner

Chu - That is exactly what they said.  As soon as I read what you posted I remembered the quote.

IT is 4:48 in the morning and I am still hemming and hawing about tonights workout.  I have 8 miles w/ 5x800 @ 5K pace on schedule.  My knee feels fine, I have some minor soreness in the interior of my shins (I attribute this to trail shoes on more asphalt than snow), and other than that I feel pretty well.  Of course, I will have all day to ponder if I should just take it easy and see if my legs feel 100% by next week.  Or I will hit my first interval and say yay or nay from the resulting feeling I get from it ( and I will have less than 3 minutes to think about it then.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.  I did my first am run since last summer this morning: out the door at 5am (or, as indy would call it, the middle of the day  Smile).  6.7 @ 9:20.  This felt a lot harder than the pace shows.  I think it will just take time to adjust to running early in the day.

So I gave in and bought a copy of both the Hansons' and Pfitz's book, so after I dig into them this weekend, I might have more to contribute on the plan discussions.

indy: hope your knee feels better!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Hansons question. Okay, so you can do the Speed at 5k or 10k pace. Does anyone know when you're supposed to use the 10k pace? Is it just preference? Or are you supposed to use the 10k pace on the longer intervals? I looked in the book, and they don't say anything about it.

Nachos, am I getting faster? I dunno. This is the first real structured plan, with speed work, that I've done. I've never raced anything shorter than a half, so I'm not sure. I hope I'm getting faster! I'm shooting for 1:43 at my spring half, which would be a 3 min pr, but I'm kinda wondering if I'm capable of more. But, boy, you're on a shoe binge lately!

In the purchased plan that I'm using the only place 10k pace is ever used is on the progression runs that end up with 1 mile each at MP, 1/2MP, and 10k paces.

Ball of Fury

Since we are talking Hanson and interval paces, are you guys using your current 5K pace, your goal 5K pace, or your 5K pace from the big chart in the book that corresponds with your FM or HM goal time?  My 5K pr is 7:23/mile, but that is from last April.  I plugged in 7:15 for my 5K pace and have used that, but have only done one speed workout.  Just wondering what you guys are doing?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

My 5k pace from my PR (22:46) last Sept is 7:19 pace.  I did look in their book and for a 5k goal of 22:30, it lists a 7:20 pace for the intervals so I figured that seemed to match.  So I've been aiming for 7:19.  But I do try to do them a few seconds faster if I can.

Since we are talking Hanson and interval paces, are you guys using your current 5K pace, your goal 5K pace, or your 5K pace from the big chart in the book that corresponds with your FM or HM goal time?  My 5K pr is 7:23/mile, but that is from last April.  I plugged in 7:15 for my 5K pace and have used that, but have only done one speed workout.  Just wondering what you guys are doing?

Ball of Fury

Thanks One Mile!  That's pretty much was I was doing!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I'll check the book again but I thought they said something like since we know people tend to run faster than prescribed, we ask you to do these between 5k to 10k pace.  So I assume they want you to do it closer to 5k pace.  I'm doing all of mine at 5k pace anyway and I only have TWO LEFT!!!!

And you are definitely running the speedwork faster than me! I couldn't hit the paces you do.

cbus - ^This! I would do all of it at 5k or maybe last few weeks at 10k before strength starts. Another option is to do 5k or 10k depending how you feel that day. I think if this is first time you're really training for a race then you'll do lot better than 1;43. First time i did any kind of quality work few yrs back I took my HM PR from 1:53 to 1:41. A friend sent me advanced Hanson HM plan, but have not really looked at it yet. Set-up like marathon plan, but tempos at goal HMP.

ap - nice splits! Congratz again!

Morning Donuts! I was tired this morning and really did not feel like getting up, but knocked out 5.7 miles anyway. i was shooting for 7, but at least got bulk of the miles in. Miles were flowing too in my Pre13s so glad I got my run in afterall. Tempo day tomorrow.

Love all the Hanson talk in this group. It will have me well prepared when I start my plan in July.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Love the Hanson talk too!

9 miles with strides later tonight.  I was almost run over by the bus while crossing the street so my HR is already on overdrive, stupid drivers.

Damaris

Trail Monster

Interesting stuff on the Hansons intervals. I'm doing all my speed work at McMillan's paces based on my 5k PR. Most of the shorter intervals (800m or less) are faster than my actual 5k pace. So far it hasn't been an issue and I'm actually getting a little antsy to run a 5k again and see if I can't PR anew.

1:45 easy run today. Woke up feeling exhausted. I had weird dreams and such but still not sure why I feel so tired when I got 9-10 hours of sleep. Going to chalk it up to peak training unless I start to feel like I'm coming down with something.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Loving all the traing plan discussion.

Onemile - are you growing to love those 5K pace workouts?Cool

Theory is theory because it often fails the testing of its hypothesis. Operation tight pants was a failure. Seems to be not as bad but not sure if that was beacuase i had to stop, briefly, a couple of times for dog management purposes before i took him back home (he peters out at around 1.5). On to the next possible solution.

4 miles last night, one hour spin at 5:30 this morning and would like 7 miles this evening.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Banshee, I think you are likely faster since your last 5k and as long as you can complete all the intervals at the faster pace, I say go for it Smile

Rollcast - No, I am most certainly NOT growing to love them.  I can't wait til I'm done with them. Only 2 weeks to go!  Sorry the tight pants theory proved wrong.  Do you have ideas for other possible causes?

cbus - I agree with Jedi. I'm expecting a big improvement from you!

Jedi - Nice job getting the run in this morning and good luck on the tempo tomorrow.

Another thought regarding the Hansons plan.  It seems to be a very smart program. They give you just enough recovery to hit the paces on the next workout. I am always wondering if I'll be ready for the next workout but when the time comes, I can do it.  It's starting to grow on me a little (and I hated it at first).

Much needed SRD for me today.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

AP4 - beautiful splits! That's what the second half of Philly looked like for me- I need to run less conservatively.  Based on recent time trials I should come out at around 3:45-3:47, so fingers crossed!

Hansons people-  I have no idea what you are talking about.

Me: 4 recovery miles today- my garmin wasn't synced properly somehow, because my phone came out to 4 miles on my usual course, but the garmin said 4.23...and I knew it was syncing up at one mile too early- oh well, not a big deal, just interesting.  I think pace was like 10:00...it was straight up black ice out there, so even if i wasn't trying a recovery pace, I would have had no choice but to run one.

Question: I'm aiming for a 3:45 - 3:49 marathon finish time, which puts goal marathon pace around 8:30-8:45 for me- I typically nail these paces easily.  The question I have is for recovery runs.  Is 10:00 too slow? Is 9;30 too slow for my General Aerobic runs.  I'm doing Pfitz 18/55.  Week 4 right now.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

Good morning!  6ish TM miles yesterday and abs, cycling, and stretching this morning at the gym.  Busy day in the ATL yesterday.  Had no time to post.

Weird thing happened to me at the end of my run yesterday.  I had the normal tightness, then toward the end, it started to hurt.  Not badly, but following my doc's direction, I stopped.  I stretched and it was tender so I knew I would be sore.  Mind you, this is a different area than where the tear was.  It's lower down in the soleus.  Anyway, I'm finishing my stretching and I feel this weird tug and "pop" like feeling in that area and up towards the injury.  It wasn't comfortable, but it didn't hurt, if that makes sense.  I was quite upset as I was afraid I'd pulled or torn it again, but it didn't feel like that at all.

Fast forward to my evening session with my trainer.  She works on it and tells me it's more pliable than it's been since the injury.  What she's doing is uncomfortable, but not painful.  She tells me that last week, I would've been off the table if she tried the same thing.  Also, the knotty hard tissue is significantly reduced.  Her opinion is that the "tug and pop" thing was some or all of the adhesions releasing.  I'm cautiously optimistic that's the case.  It's stiff today, but not really painful. I'm going to wait a few days until the stiffness is gone before I try to run again.

Also going to look for neutral shoes on Saturday and I want to be able to jog/run to test them out.

No time for shout outs since I wrote a novel.  Sorry!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

SRD, yahoo! Funny thing is, Hansons say if you want to add more miles to the plan, to do some easy miles on the SRD. Yeah right!

Ami, I've never run a 5k before, so I basically guessed. In the book, they say to run them hard, but not so hard that you cannot jog the recoveries. Based on my first Speed workout (12X400), I determined I could keep a 7:08 pace and still do a respectable jog during the recoveries. So that's what I've been using. I'm not sure that's the best way to choose your pace. If I had a recent 5k PR, I'd use that time.

I guess I'm still a little confused about the whole 5k and 10k thing. On one hand, it sounds like the 10k thing is there just to make you start slower, with the idea that you'll speed up to 5k anyways. On the other hand, it sounds like you might have an option to run them "slower." Whatever, I've got only 1 workout left, so I'll just stick with 7:08. If I can't maintain it, and I have to slow down, then no big deal.

Happy running everyone!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)