Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Cmb - wow! you sound way more upbeat than I would be in that situation. Take your mind off of it and get well asap. sorry about the misfortune.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

Indi, my boy gets plenty of junk food. He's a true donut. The last thing he needs to do is expand his junk food vocabulary. Great run. I take it the leg feels better.

Zoe, glad to see you running again. I hope it's clear sailing from here.

Onemile, no RR?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cbus - 2nd run with parallel lacing. Only 4 recovery miles but no sleepy foot issue. Progress? To early to tell but I'll count it as a win. Cool

P.S. we used to bite both ends off twizlers and use them as straws to drink our sprite at the movie theatre. Old school!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

White Lightning

onemile - great job!!

cmb - so very sorry, I hope you recover quickly

Me - 4 TM 1% incline recovery miles at 10:26.  Got the run in much later than normal and was tired, hard to work fairly hard for those 4.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

I read it in FB last night and I went oh, no!!!!  Sorry about your ankle.  That sucks.  Hope your recovery goes well and fast.

Well, no marathon for me.  I managed to hit a bad ice patch this morning, and I am now the owner of a broken ankle.

When I fell my foot flew back and my body kept going forward, so my leg bent underneath me and I landed on it with my full weight.  High ankle sprain on the outside, a secondary sprain on the inside, and a crack clear through the base of my fibula.

Well, at least I still get to have a vacation in New Orleans.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

All right, since you insisted cbus, I did post a quick RR Smile

Rollcast - hope the new lacing takes care of it.

Josh, nice recovery miles.

I'm planning on an easy 6 today. I'd like to do more but legs are pretty sore yet.

Smashy!!!

cbus - 2nd run with parallel lacing. Only 4 recovery miles but no sleepy foot issue. Progress? To early to tell but I'll count it as a win. Cool

P.S. we used to bite both ends off twizlers and use them as straws to drink our sprite at the movie theatre. Old school!

Roll, has this always happened? Or only since switching to the Launch? I've had issues with Brooks mainline trainers because of the wad of DNA in the forefoot. I'm not saying that's what's going on. But it can happen that something isnt fitting right with this particular shoe.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.  Rest day for me.  I'm trying to be sensible about rebuilding my mileage to acceptable levels.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I did only 11 this morning because the sun was brutal and it wanted to kill me.  More miles tonight.

Off to read onemile's RR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

CMB: NOOOOO.  That's a runner's worst nightmare.  You just inspired me to hit the treadmill.

Cbus- The story with your kid is great.  I'm going to file that away for some time when I have kids.

Rollcast- Glad to hear parallel lacing works for you- I did it for awhile when I used to run in Asics, and it helped a lot.

Flin & Docket- Nice running

Well, I have a cold.  Husband is sick too - he actually fainted last night in the movie theater because of whatever flu/cold he has.  I'm going to do my 15 on the treadmill - Central Park is ok, but its slick downtown where i live and I don't want to get hurt.  We'll see how far I get...at least I can bring a tissue box (and pretty much no one runs down there so I won't get anyone sick).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

Onemile:  Enjoy your 6...take it nice and easy after your speedy race yesterday!

Flinders:  Enjoy the SRD!

Docket:  Nice 11!  I seriously don't know how you do it....am much as I complain about the cold, its so much better than heat and humidity!

Sprinkles:  Yuck...I hope you and your DH feel better soon.  Good luck on the TM!

I had a fantastic long run today...well, if you count 8 miles as a long run but hey, we are training for a half not a full here!  Hanson says to do long runs at "moderately easy pace" and that is exactly what today felt like.  After a warm-up mile (9:44), the next 5 miles were all around 8:40-8:45, then mile 7 was 8:23 (whoops...but it was flat so felt really easy) and then a did a cool-down mile at 9:04 for an overall pace of 8:54/mile. After week 1, I am really enjoying this Hanson training plan.  I feel strong and even though some of the workouts are hard, it is nice that every run serves a purpose.  Before, I sometimes felt like I was just running, with no real goal but now I have a goal for every single run and it feels great!  Let's just hope I can keep it up!  Hope all you donuts have a fantastic day!!

QOTD:  I would like to add a 3rd pair of shoes to my rotation and I am not sure what to get.  I would like a light, neutral shoe with just a little bit more cushion than my Mizuno Wave Riders....any suggestions??

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

ami- I just walked the dog and its not icy out at all, so I'm going to head out for 9-15 miles depending how i feel.

Pfitz has me at 15, but I used Higdon Novice 1 last year and its only 9, so worst case, I run 9 miles and call it, best case, I finish all 15, compromise will be 12 miles to bring me to 40 mi for the week...ugh just eating something and sucking down a coffee.  I have no desire to eat carby things today for some reason, likely because I am sick and whatnot- we also don't have any decent pre-run food in the house so I'm going out there sans carbs.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - Dont you keep a carton of energy gels is the house?  When I have a cold, I generally feel better when I am running.  Others might be made miserable by the snot rockets, but during the run is when I can actually breathe.  Hope you get al 15 done, and please dress warm and dry.

Went out for 14 this morning and made a consious effort to stay slower than MP + 10% through the first half.  Accomplished that, was feeling good so I added another mile so I could get the full 3000 ft of ascent on the course (first I noticed there was that much, I always knew that 7.5  or so was the top of the hill though).  Brought it down to 9:05 or so avg pace on the back half and added .25 @ MP.  Fun run with a little rain and wind.

Happy Running All!  Will read the onemile RR after shower and coffee.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Looked at my log last night and it said 34.9, so I decided I needed 10.1 to give me a round 45 for the week. Avg. 8:43 because of a fast finish. Most of my miles were between 8:51-8:54, and then I did the last 1.1 @ my new GHMP of 7:43. First, I'll say I think the Hansons idea of the LR duplicating the last miles of the race is true, I think. I went into this run dead legged, and by about midrun, i was feeling it. But I felt strong, strangely. So I decided to try out 7:45. It was not easy, but it was not impossible either. I think at this point, 7:45 is aspirational, but I'll attack the rest of this cycle with that goal and see what happens.

Flinders, enjoy the rest.

Sprink, get well.

Ami, we're supposed to get some better weather this week in Central OH. Hopefully SW Ohio does too! The Hansons plan is great. I think you'll make a lot of progress with it.

Onemile, I just wanted to encourage you do dial it in on your Tempos, now. You've played your hand very well. That 15k was well timed. Now that you have data to support your goal, go into these Tempo with the mentality to memorize your GP with every fiber of your being. Maybe even start using the, as dress rehearsals. If your body gets really efficient at Gp, and you execute your actual race as you've trained, I think you'll surprise yourself even more than what you presently think.

DetroitTigerFan

cmb - i'm so sorry about your injury - yikes ! were you mid training cycle or close to race day? winter weather over here scares the heck out of me. We had some sun yesterday that started melting the snow but didnt get all the way, so my routes now have alot of black ice on them. Plus snow in the streets that looks soft is actually rock hard and crunchy. I wish there were indoor tracks around here.

docket - i'm a month behind everyones posts - lol - anyway, i was reading your las vegas race review - holy cow ! that must of been heck to run through all that sand with your condition and with a nasty wind too - is that normal for LV ? i cant imagine sand in the shoes too - would you run it again? how were conditions at the finish line - i'm assuming the race organizers did a better job than the debacle the year before? any drunk folks in the marathoner lane this year ? lol

as for me - 10 down today ran on effort to hold 10 min/mile.  I'm also doing alot of reading and thinking of my race planning this year (what plan, paces) and I admit i'm struggling. Alot of people have told me to just do the same plan i did last year and that will be enough to break 4:00 (Pfitz) with the hope that I get some carryover performance from training last year. I may just do this, but then i need to look at pace planning. Last year i did Pfitz using Mcmillian pace estimates as opposed to pure heart rate. However, as you all probably know McMillian sped up its paces online. I like Hansons but cant find time to run 6 days a week. I'm also watching all of you Hansons runners to see how your training translates into your spring races. So your feedback will be important in my final planning later this spring.

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/