Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Morning guys.  I don't even know where to begin catching up with all these posts!

Amik - good luck at the chiro!

Indi - intervals after 21 miles? Wow!

Damaris - congrats again on the PR.

Mdawg - go get that 1:42!

Cbus - I try not to worry about the 10+mm runs as long as I can hit my pace on speedwork days.  I have to run as slow as I need to in order to be recovered for the next workout.  And sometimes that means SLOW.   I try to worry more about running fast enough those days and let the paces on the other days go.  (or am I misunderstanding and you're having a hard time keeping it slow?)

Anyway. Good running to everyone!

6 easy for me tonight.

Ball of Fury

CBus:  Is it your first strength workout?  I am anxious to hear how it goes!!  Target pace?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Cbus - I try not to worry about the 10+mm runs as long as I can hit my pace on speedwork days.  I have to run as slow as I need to in order to be recovered for the next workout.  And sometimes that means SLOW.   I try to worry more about running fast enough those days and let the paces on the other days go.  (or am I misunderstanding and you're having a hard time keeping it slow?)

I'm not worried. In fact, I loved today's recovery run. And I have no problem throwing in a recovery run whenever I need it. Nor do I have a hard time keeping it slow.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

CBus:  Is it your first strength workout?  I am anxious to hear how it goes!!  Target pace?

Yeah, tomorrow will be my first. I'm excited too. Target pace is 7:42, which is GHMP - :10. Based on how things are going with my Tempo runs, I might lower my goal pace to 7:48. I'm waiting to see how these Strength runs go before I decide. If they go well, then I'll adjust my Strength pace to 7:38.

onemile

Cool. Mine start next week.  Does the half program use the same as the full program's strength workouts?   I think the first is 6x1 mile?

Yeah, tomorrow will be my first. I'm excited too. Target pace is 7:42, which is GHMP - :10. Based on how things are going with my Tempo runs, I might lower my goal pace to 7:48. I'm waiting to see how these Strength runs go before I decide. If they go well, then I'll adjust my Strength pace to 7:38.

Docket_Rocket

I call it isn't it amazing what your body can do when your marathon is not at 1000F? Look, your body is not sweatig and cooling itself properly!

Good morning, all! Single-digit wind chills here this morning.  Glad I got that long run in yesterday.  SRD with yoga this evening.  I got an email receipt from Broad Street this morning so I'm in!  Yay! Although I won't be completely satisfied until I can check the confirmation page and see my name.

Docket: Awesome PR!! I briefly glanced at your RR before bed last night, need to read it better after I'm done here.  Amazing how hard you can push when you have your mind on other things, isn't it?

Indi: Right?! I've been a Brooks loyalist since I started running, except branching out to try Newtons only to come back to Brooks, so I feel like I should give something new a try.  I've been contemplating the Kinvara since the 3 came out, actually.  And shortly after saying that, I ordered a pair of original PureFlows last night since they're hard to come by, Dick's website had them in my size, and while my PF2's are decent and it may all be in my head, I feel like the toe box is way more snug on the PF2's than the original and I've been getting my blisters I haven't had in a while.   Time to go back to the original.  Vent over.  Sorry! Joking

Josh: Saw Scott Jurek's post too and realized it made my snow squall run seem insignificant! Kudos to you and Banshee for getting out and braving the weather!  DH and I joked about how it's a good thing he learned those survivor skills in his 3 whole years of cub scouts as a kid when we hit the snow... ha!

Sprinkles: Nice TM workout... I might have to snag that for when I'm stuck on the dreadmill, too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Cool. Mine start next week.  Does the half program use the same as the full program's strength workouts?   I think the first is 6x1 mile?

Yes. They are the same. So with WU/CD, it'll be like 11 mi. total! Yikes!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Just came out of a massage and now off to have a nice lunch and do some errands.  I have a headache and allergies so today's allergy shot will be interesting.

SRD today.  Pushups, situps and my other streak things later.

Cbus, good luck with the workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

I'm happy to be doing mine at 8:20 instead of 7:40!  I've been doing around 9 on interval days so it won't be a big jump for me to 11 (I wrote 10 on my schedule but I didn't really figure out how long they will actually be).

Yes. They are the same. So with WU/CD, it'll be like 11 mi. total! Yikes!

Smashy!!!

I'm happy to be doing mine at 8:20 instead of 7:40!  I've been doing around 9 on interval days so it won't be a big jump for me to 11 (I wrote 10 on my schedule but I didn't really figure out how long they will actually be).

Don't forget to count those 400m recoveries. They always get you with those recoveries. For the first workout, that adds 1.5 miles!

Yeah, the Half paces are killing me right now. I know this is going to sound sacrilegious, but I almost feel like the Half plan is tougher than the Full plan because of those paces. I don't know how you are feeling on your LR days, but because of the faster paces, I've been going into the LR on dead legs. Someone told me they call it "Hansons Legs." Hence today's recovery paced miles!

White Lightning

Morning everyone.

jedi - Thanks, hopefully i'm 1-2 years behind you if I can keep moving forward

indi - good luck if you try the intervals today

amik - great job getting out this morning and good luck with PT

mdawg - ski vacations are the best.  Sad that I live 45 minutes away from some world class ski resorts and I haven't been since I was a kid.

cbus - nice recovery miles.  I'm sold on recovery runs, i've nailed every workout the day after a recovery run

docket - killer job on the PR

Me - Coffee can't get hot enough this morning.  SRD with stretching later tonight.  Right ITB is very tight this morning but doesn't hurt, should be able to stretch it out

Play the Game Hard!

onemile

Yes, I believe you that it's harder because of the faster paces.  Although I am running more MPW than you Joking

Don't forget to count those 400m recoveries. They always get you with those recoveries. For the first workout, that adds 1.5 miles!

Yeah, the Half paces are killing me right now. I know this is going to sound sacrilegious, but I almost feel like the Half plan is tougher than the Full plan because of those paces. I don't know how you are feeling on your LR days, but because of the faster paces, I've been going into the LR on dead legs. Someone told me they call it "Hansons Legs." Hence today's recovery paced miles!

I too feel dead legged a lot for the LRs and wonder if I'll be able to hit my pace range (9:06-9:18) but I have been able to so far.  I am definitely feeling the cumulative fatigue.  I really wish I could take a few days off but it says right in the book that you shouldn't take off if you are just tired and that you can only take off for an injury.  And I'm sore and really beat but not injured.   *sigh*  9 more weeks to go Big grin

Smashy!!!

Yes, I believe you that it's harder because of the faster paces.  Although I am running more MPW than you Joking

I too feel dead legged a lot for the LRs and wonder if I'll be able to hit my pace range (9:06-9:18) but I have been able to so far.  I am definitely feeling the cumulative fatigue.  I really wish I could take a few days off but it says right in the book that you shouldn't take off if you are just tired and that you can only take off for an injury.  And I'm sore and really beat but not injured.   *sigh*  9 more weeks to go Big grin

You ran like 15 more miles than me this week! That is why I bow down to your greatness!

onemile

But I do get to do my LRs slower and my tempo runs slower and my strength runs slower Smile

You ran like 15 more miles than me this week! That is why I bow down to your greatness!

I think both are pretty tough plans and it will be fun to see how everyone does.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

That's how they want you to run the LR with the whole cumulative fatigue philosophy. jealous of all you guys doing Hanson plan right now. Thinking of switching to hanson HM for my May marathon, but not sure. Think better to finish off this Daniels plan.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???