Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Ball of Fury

Onemile:  Thanks...I must be stupid though because I can't figure out how to add options to my run type.

MDawg:  Yay....glad your recover is going well.  Have a great trip!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

It took me awhile to figure it out too.  Go to Settings and then Manage My Activities.  Then click on the Run activity type and there you can add the sub-types.

Onemile:  Thanks...I must be stupid though because I can't figure out how to add options to my run type.

MDawg:  Yay....glad your recover is going well.  Have a great trip!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 6 Tempo mi. on tap today. Gonna shoot for 8:08-8:12.

Ami, glad your ITBS didn't come back this morning! I take it that PT is working already? Good luck at today's appointment.

Zoe, good to see you finally on the mend. I know you'll come back stronger. A bunch of us will be using Hansons for a fall race.

Indi and Jedi, I'll be doing Hansons too for my fall marathon.

Onemile, I agree with you, when I see Intervals, I think Speed work. I guess the Strength run is just Cruise Intervals. In the Half plan, this is especially true, since the pace is just below HMP. But in the Full plan, the pace is so specific, it's kinda not like any other workout. Good luck on your Tempo today, and just remember, I'm gonna frown if you go faster than GMP. Evil

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

or label them as LT as Thursday tempos are more like AT.

Nice job on the 6! Glad you felt good and good luck at PT!

I had the strength runs coded as intervals (because they sort of are)  but then I saw cbus had his coded as strength.  So I thought, they I can add a new category too because intervals to me usually mean vo2max work which these are not!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Mdawg, you slipped in there while I was typing. But it's so great to see you healthy again! Awesome. You are now an official card carrying member of the Graston party.

Smashy!!!

Cbus - I checked out your log and saw you had the strength runs coded as such so I decided to steal that idea Smile  Hope you don't mind.

Homeland much? (Just kidding Big grin.)

onemile

That's a good idea because that will apply if/when I tackle Pfitz too.  Is AT Aerobic Threshold?  Or maybe I should add a MP category.

or label them as LT as Thursday tempos are more like AT.

Ball of Fury

Onemile:  Thanks!!  Figured it out!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Morning, everybody.  Busy day even though working from home.  I had a 3 hour meeting last night that ended up with me getting home at 7pm and only able to do 2 miles last night.  5 recovery miles tonight.

AmiK, good luck at PT.

Ena, hoping the recovery goes well and fast.  Take care of that leg.

Everybody, have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I have my log set-up for HMP and MP as well as intervals and tempo. Don't do much of HMP or MP with Daniels. It's all either Intervals or Tempo. I could broaden it to include cruise intervals I guess.

That's a good idea because that will apply if/when I tackle Pfitz too.  Is AT Aerobic Threshold?  Or maybe I should add a MP category.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Canuck

Morning all.  Dragged myself out of bed at 5:30 to go to 6:30 spin class this morning, plus some upper body weights and stretching.  Since I have to abandon my BQ goal for Vancouver, my new goals for this training cycle are to transition to morning workouts and lose some more weight.  The transition to morning workouts is really important if I'm going to run a fall marathon as I need to run in the mornings in the summer when it is cooler - my usual winter running time of 5:30 - 6:00 pm is the hottest time of the day in the summer and I really don't like running in anything above 65.  The mornings here in the summer usually stay around 60 or so even when it gets up into the 70s-80s during the day, so I need to run then.

mdawg - glad to hear you're on the mend with your calf.  Yes, lots of people doing a fall marathon.  I did want to BQ in the spring mainly so I could run Boston next year - Victoria isn't until October 13th, so Boston 2014 will likely be closed by then.  On the other hand, Boston 2015 will be my 40th birthday, so that might be the right time to do it.  There is a relatively local marathon in Washington State on September 8th, but it could be quite hot that time of year.

amiK - yes a 53 minute PR is a big jump, but you might surprise yourself with something pretty substantial. I went from 4:18 to 3:50, so almost 30 mins.  A BQ for me is an 11 min PR, so not as big a jump this time around.

jedi - nice run.

onemile - good luck with the MP miles today.

cbus - have a great tempo.

With regard to the strength workouts, when I finally start them, I have them labelled as "cruise intervals" to distinguish them from the shorter, faster intervals.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

bagopux

The transition to morning workouts is really important if I'm going to run a fall marathon as I need to run in the mornings in the summer when it is cooler

I used to run in the afternoons after work during the summer all the time here in NC.  But last summer I switched to mornings, and I am *not* a morning person.  But after a while I got to liking it and it definitely helps to beat the heat.

Couple of questions for all:

1. I have a weird Hudson workout scheduled for this weekend.  It goes like this: 2 miles w/u; 4 miles alternating 1 minute at 10k pace and 1 minute easy; 2 miles easy; 2 miles hard; done.   Its kind of like a fartlek run but much longer.  Has anyone done something like this?  I'm thinking of setting my GPS to 1 minute laps just so I don't lose focus, but I'm also thinking that might be kind of annoying after a couple of miles.

2. I'm doing a stress test next week.  What are people's experiences with that?  Do you just go 3 minutes on a TM at 0% incline and then 3 at 1% and on and on until you barf or something like that?  Should I log it as a hill workout? Wink

thanks

I used to run in the afternoons after work during the summer all the time here in NC.  But last summer I switched to mornings, and I am *not* a morning person.  But after a while I got to liking it and it definitely helps to beat the heat.

1. I have a weird Hudson workout scheduled for this weekend.  It goes like this: 2 miles w/u; 4 miles alternating 1 minute at 10k pace and 1 minute easy; 2 miles easy; 2 miles hard; done.   Its kind of like a fartlek run but much longer.  Has anyone done something like this?  I'm thinking of setting my GPS to 1 minute laps just so I don't lose focus, but I'm also thinking that might be kind of annoying after a couple of miles.

2. I'm doing a stress test next week.  What are people's experiences with that?  Do you just go 3 minutes on a TM at 0% incline and then 3 at 1% and on and on until you barf or something like that?  Should I log it as a hill workout? Wink

thanks

I'm even getting used to running mornings in the winter.  I'll be switching from evenings to mornings this summer in the ATL.

Don't have a clue about your Hudson workout.  1 minute laps isn't enough for GPS errors to even out, so it doesn't seem to me that you'd ever get an accurate pace.

Depends what kind of stress test you are getting.  A hospital would probably use the Bruce Protocol which is a walking not a running stress test.  They just keep cranking the incline and keep the pace at a fast walk.  They have lots of electrodes taped to the body.

At Lifetime Fitness they would crank up the speed but also crank up the incline.   Drove me nuts.  I could handle the speed, but the incline caused me to max out much faster than I would have otherwise.   Namely I could have sustained a higher heart rate for a longer time just by going at a much faster pace, but didn't have the leg strength to handle the steep incline very well.  I wore an oxygen mask for this because they measure the carbon dioxide that is breathed out.  It annoyed me that I had to breathe both in and out through my mouth.  I never breath through my mouth when running.  They kept it going until the equipment indicated that I was in some proximity to max heart rate or some such for some period of time, or until I had been anaerobic for some period of time.  I don't remember now.

I didn't log it.

bagopux

RV, its being done by a doctor not a gym, and I vaguely recall him mentioning 3 minute segments, which coincides with the Bruce Protocol (or at least the wikipedia page).  So I'm guessing that's what I'm getting myself into.  Starts at 10% grade and goes up to 22%?  Yikes!

OK, here something I just learned:  Hudson's plans have hill sprints that are supposed to be on a 6%-8% grade.  I've been doing hill sprints on hills that I measured at about a 6 degree angle.  Had I thought about it for a second before now, I would have realized grade and angle are not the same.  A 100% percent grade (i.e., 100 foot rise over a 100 foot distance) is equivalent to a 45 degree angle.  A 6 degree angle is about a 11% grade.  So I should have been sprinting up about a 3.5 to 4.5 degree slope, not 6 degrees.  Oops.  Thankfully, my achilles and calves are still intact.

Docket_Rocket

The weather here is worse during the Summers in the mornings, so I will never become a morning runner unless I have no other choice.  85F and 100% humidity feels much worse than 100F and 50% humidity (afternoon weather).  At least to my lungs.

thanks

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page