Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

White Lightning

Flinders - Yeah, no kidding, great pace for 16 miles.

5.6 Recovery miles finished at 9:51, felt fantastic despite the bloody cold wind.  GT-2000's felt really good but I definitely felt the extra heal drop, especially on my uphills.  Looking forward to MP miles tomorrow

Play the Game Hard!

DetroitTigerFan

Good afternoon !

Deep question of the afternoon - lol - when you run with your gps or normal watch , do any of you ever feel like you need something on your other arm to "balance" the weight out ? i know it sounds dumb but was just curious

my last race I started with 2 watches by accident - i had a normal watch to tell the time and my gps watch on the other saving battery life before the race. Well, i forgot to take it off and ended up running with watches on both arms - lol.  I was going to drop on off to a friend during the course but forgot i was wearing it then too. Anyway, i had this wierd sense that i was in better balance running with it on. One of those crazy things !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Ball of Fury

Hi Donuts!  I am on my phone so no personals but just wanted to pop in and say hi!  After much debate, we decided to DNS the race (my first....boo!), because I was afraid the uneven terrain would not be good for the ITB!  I hated to miss it but felt like my other races and training are more important.  We did get out for our 10-miler though.  Since I skipped the tempo Thursday to run the race, I decided to try a progression run this morning, depending on how I felt.  Ended up doing 2 mile warm-up, 2 miles @ 8:45, 2 miles @ 8:30, 2 miles @ 8:15, and  was supposed to do the last 2 @ 8, but got a little carried away and ran a 7:50 and a 7:28....whoops.  Felt really good the entire time so hopefully no harm done!  Will catch up with you all tomorrow!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Flinders and AmiK, you guys are tearing it up!

Detroit I never feel off balance from the watch, don't even notice it. I am sensitive to road camber and the different loading it puts on my calf muscles. Also, have had to lean into strong cross winds sometimes recently.

Glad you had a good run, Onemile.

Josh, shoe fit is so important it is worth going to the trouble you are going to in order to be sure. Good luck!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 easy today. Tomorrows a 12 miler.

Flinders, nice run! I've been meaning to ask you: do you have a shower at work? Or do you just go back to work sweaty?

Indi, nice run!

Josh, hope you get to the bottom of it.

Dtf, nope, don't feel the need.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

DTF: I'm like Simon, I don't notice the watch, but I am sensitive to road camber and surface.

Cbus: Nice 6; and thanks!  As for my lunch runs, yes, my building has a small locker room that has showers.  I think the original reason for its being there was a small but vocal cohort of bike commuters asked for it and they were doing renovations anyways, so they put one in.  I'm a sweat-ball, so I wouldn't run if I couldn't take a shower afterwards.  I have  my own office with a door, but even still, me post-run sans shower might be considered creating a hostile work environment.

Ami: Nice run!  To DNS isn't fun, but better to DNS than aggravate an injury.

Indy, Josh, Simon: Thanks!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I really hope I'm not overtraining and just tired from work - I only managed 7 of 9 miles and didn't wind up going to spin - instead, I fell asleep for two hours this afternoon and am still exhausted. I took an iron supplement.  I also recently started a new migraine prevention medicine that can dehydrate, but I'm not dehydrated...so maybe its just being overworked this week - I'm losing motivation for work as well as training the past few days.  Since I work a very demanding job and the weather is just miserable, plus, my career is kind of moving in the right direction right now, I might have to reevaluate the 40-55 miles per week and reduce at least some of the long runs, maybe drop down to Higdon Intermediate 2.  I just don't think I should feel THIS exhausted unless I am sick (of course that is a possibility).  I've been working 12-14 hour days (7 am-9pm) and not missing workouts, so that might explain some of it.  Sorry fr the debbie downer!  I hope Im not overtraining- hopefully its just loss of motivation.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Trail Monster

I'm too beat to catch up on the 4 pages I'm behind. But thanks to Cbus and the rest of you for the encouragement. Short story: Ran my 20+ miler in 3:10:22 Garmin time/ 3:10:50 gun time and set a new unofficial HM PR of 2:01Tight lippedx. The whole report is on my blog or in the beginners forum. I promise to catch up tomorrow.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Banshee, nice run! And congrats on PRing your HM during a training run. That's always a good feeling.

Sprink, it might be all of the above. But when I get that drowsy feeling, and I'm not sick, then I'm usually lacking calories. What plan are you on right now? Is it Pfitz?

Ami, +1 to Flinders, better to DNS than get injured.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - I dont think you are overtraining.  I think you are working alot and have alot of other stressors going on right now.  That doesnt mean that you shouldnt think about changing your plan to a plan that better meets the needs of your every day life.

DTF - Cant say that has ever been a problem.  Personally, I look to cut out any weight possible.  I dont like running a race with my phone in my race belt, but I do for the sake of contacting someone in the event of an emergency.  And because DW told me to.

Amik and Banshee - Nice runs!

Got in 3.25 @ 10:00 pace on the treadmill this evening to finish a double.  Its gonna be a very slow and methodical 17 miles tomorrow.  Hopefully next week will see me with more pep.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys. I'm still super dehydrated and with a headache from the race.  I finished but I had to walk a lot.  If I was not doing it for a friend I wouldn't have finished.  Stomach started bothering me at Mile 4 and by the time I finished it was 82F.  Tough day for me.  I have barely eaten today.

Still, I earn a medal for my friend!

I read every post and I'm glad everybody is doing well.  AmiK, I read that you decided to skip the race and I think it was a wise decision.  First time I did a trail race, I twisted my ankle 7 times and I thought I had broken something.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- I did an inventory and I definitely am undereating for my training level again- if I don't count calories,  I undereat- I seem to have the opposite problem of most of the continental United States of America.  I also had some stomach upset the last few days.   Felt better after dinner and some "Imagine Whirled Peace" Ice cream. mmmm.  I am doing Pfitz 18/55 and am on the 47 mile week- previous training peaked at 40 mpw and averaged 35, so this is an increase for me.

Indiana - I think its just life meets running collision time.  I'm planning on the race tomorrow, just going to bed earlier tonight and then letting myself nap early if I want- 10 mi at goal marathon pace + 6 (3 as part of the half marathon and 3 cooldown/warmup).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

MDawg:  Hope you are having a great ski trip!

Docket:  I am sorry your race was so rough....kudos to you for finishing.  I honestly don't know how you do it down there!

Indy:  Nice double yesterday.  Hope your 17 is good today!

Josh:  Glad you like the new shoes and I hope they continue to work well for you.  Enjoy your MP miles today!

Flinders:  That was an awesome 16-miler...way to beat out the inner chicken!

DTF:  I don't feel the need to have 2 watches but sometimes my right arm actually gets sore from wearing my I-phone during long runs.  I have tried to switch to the left, but it just feels awkward!

Simon:  Thanks!

CBus:  Enjoy your 12-miler today!  Remind me when your goal HM is?

Sprinkles:  I am sorry you are feeling so run down.  Do not underestimate how much working all those hours affects your running...I know how hard it is to balance 60-70 hours of work with running and I think you are doing a great job!  Good luck with the race today!!

Banshee:  Awesome job on the 20-miler and congrats for breaking your HM pr!!

Hung out with some friends last night and even though I went home at a very reasonable 9:15 PM (they think I act like an old lady), the last thing I wanted to do was get up at 4:30 and run this morning before work.  But, I kept thinking about you guys and how I would have to come on here and admit that I missed a run because I was tired and a bit hungover, so that motivated me to get my ass out of bed!  So.....thanks!  Got in 5.14 miles @ 9:58/mile.  Started out kinda rough but by mile 3 I felt pretty good.  Kept it on the slow end of easy pace because my legs definitely needed the recovery after yesterday.  Now at work for 12 hours...boo hoo!  Hope you all have a great day!

ETA:  Thank you guys for confirming I made the right decision by DNS yesterday...it was a tough choice for me.  Then, I felt really bad because for the first time ever, some friends of ours showed up at the race to surprise us and cheer us on...they even brought their 4 kids with cowbells!  Usually, our friends just shake their heads and tell us we are crazy!  I felt pretty guilty when they text to ask where we were!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Indi - ugh, I hate coming down with a cold during training. Hope it goes away quickly.  I definitely have been tired so it was nice to have a couple good runs.

josh - I really like the Adrenaline 13's. sorry they aren't working for you! The 2000s sound like the have potential.

Flinders - super nice pace on the 16!  Impressive.

DTF -  I have never felt like I need to balance my GPS out with something on the other wrist. I like to wear as little as possible though.

Amik - sounds like a wise decision about your race and glad you had a good run anyway!

Cbus - good luck on the 12-miler. What do you think of having to run the long runs on the faster side?

Sprinkles - I have been feeling pretty exhausted myself lately. I started trying to go to bed a little earlier and that seems to help a little.  I think marathon training is just tiring and then everything else in life on top of it.

Banshee - nice job on the 20 miler. You really need to race a half (by itself) and see what you can do! You will smoke it.

I had another great run yesterday - 10 easy and I ran 9mm.  Cbus will probably scold me for running it too fast but I don't care. I felt good for once (or twice if we're counting Friday).  Anyway, another 10 easy planned for this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Well, I now know what happened.  I had a big migraine from 2pm on.  I slept 11 hours and now feel more human.  So, I guess the nausea was related to that.  8 miles planned for tonight.

AmiK, nice run today.

onemile, so long as you don't do that every day....  But my guess is that if you can continue with your quality days and do the easy runs at 9mm, your fitness has improved.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page