Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

White Lightning

Sprinkles - Also remember that even if you eat exactly what you burn during your workout, you're still going to burn at a higher rate later in the day than normal.  I've been slowly upping my calories as I feel it.  My downer days I look at my log and I totally messed up my nutrition, usually the day before.  Keep at it and great HM, Eat More!!

Indi - 30-40f is like that magic number where I really struggle trying to figure what to wear.  Today I started at 35f and finished at 45f and was very hot or very cold, wouldn't make up my mind.  Nice job on your 17

DTF - Congrats for signing up.  I carry a cheap 12 oz plastic bottle and only in my right hand, I try the left everyone once in a while and usually lasts for 10 seconds or so.  Maybe that;s the culprit of the ITB and hip issues, lol.  Lop-sided

Cbus - Good job pushing through your 12

Me - 16 miles w/ 10 at MP, total avg of 9:08.  The MP miles started at 9:00's, then 8:50's and finished the last at 8:36.  One tough mile in there that slowed a bit because of ice and sluch.  Started on what felt like dead legs but loosened up quickly and felt absolutely fantastic by the end, HR's dead center in Pfitz's range.  I have absolutely no idea what my MP is so I'm just going to continue pushing.  My half in 4 weeks should give me a good idea.  Week 5 finished with 46 miles and am very much looking forward to my step back week and SRD tomorrow

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job, everybody!  I decided to take an extra rest day.  I was not 100% after the migraine, so an extra day of rest won't hurt.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Indy - hope you got your 17 in! Oops, I see you did! Nice work!

Cbus - how was your 12? I see you killed it as well!

Sprinkles - nice run!

DTF - I love 5FDP! I also listen to In This Moment, Chevelle, etc.

Akalei - great job!

i did 3.8 miles super slow tonight just to stretch out and make it an even 40 miles for the week.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Got in 12 miles @ 8:57, and it was brutal. But that gives me 50 for the week. I'm kinda curious if I could run a marathon @ 9:08 pace on this plan. Even though my LR tops out at 12, I'm only 5 short of someone on Pfitz 55 for the week.

I was thinking about this, too. I've been in the mid-to-high 40s for the last month and this week I hit 50; my LRs to this point have been 13ish.  However, I felt the wheels start to come off at about 14-15 miles on yesterday's LR, which I was running at basically my MP from this fall.  However, I think I probably could maintain it for most of a full if I could run 3 or 4 16s and have ten days to two weeks to taper.  I think the psychological benefits of having a couple 16s in there, along with the single-run time-on-feet training you get with longer LRs is beneficial.

Also, nice run!

Josh, indy, akalei: nice LRs!

Sprinkles:  In my experience it is the physical tiredness and the additional sleep needs that gets to me when my mileage creeps up.  I have been increasing my mileage into the high 40s over the past six weeks, and have noticed that I am exhausted when I go to bed and sleep like a rock.  That, and my desire for sugar spikes.  Ice cream helps that, though. Smile  Also, nice race!

bago, docket, Ami, onemile and everyone else: Hi!

Me: I took a rest day today, mostly because I'm trying to be mindful of increasing my mileage at a safe rate.  I also had a work project to finish, so I spent my afternoon writing a memo.  Yippee.  My week was 51.9 miles over six runs and five days.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Donuts to all you running donuts. Lots of great runs, I'll be back to do some at tipping.

Sprinkles - running will always be here, seize career opportunities when you can. You perform, professionally, more effective when properly rested and fueled.

Its exciting to hear you guys' success with your marathon training in different plans. Mine doesn't start until August/September. Just managing 30-40 mpw at this point.

i managed 10 easy miles this evening. Slower paces intentionally. Looking forward to my first race of the year next weekend. (HM).

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

WAKE UP, DONUTS!

Morning!  6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Josh: Awesome run yesterday!!  I think you're race is going to be great!

Banshee:  Nice weekly total!

Flinders:  Remind me what race you are currently training for...HM?

Roll:  Nice 10 and great job base building!

Docket:  Morning!  Although I have been up so long it feels like afternoon by now!  Enjoy your 6.

Out the door by 4:30 AM for 5 slow miles on terribly dead legs!  Hopefully, they will feel better for speedwork tomorrow!  Followed that up with 100 push-ups, 50 pull-ups (assisted) and ab work.  PT this afternoon!  Have a great day donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

What akalei said!Smile 4 pages for me to catch-up on.

Hi everyone!  You guys get so talkative when I'm not around and I have trouble catching up!

Morning Donuts! Solid weekend of running for me. 10+ miles w/40min tempo @7:07 avg pace on Sat and long and steady 15+miles yesterday. Also ran 2m and 1.5m runs with my son this weekend. 2m was longest run for him and so proud of him. We only took one walk break too. He ran a total of 5.12m last week. Easy recovery 5.3m this morning. Really needed it after the miles I put up this weekend. 3 more days and start a 10-day taper for my HM next week. Good running all!

indi - feeling better? Solid LR!

cbus - nice job on your LR too.

akalei - you must be getting excited for Shamrock. Interested to hear how you like it as might be my BQ race next year if I don't take a stab at it this fall. Also I got some nice running loot for winning Runner Sole mileage contest for January including nice long sleev Mizuno tech. Did my LR with Rick who owns store yesterday.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Question.. our weather this week is supposed to suck majorly - starting tomorrow (23mph wind and snow). My schedule says 8 easy for tonight and tomorrow is my first strength run (11 miles with 6x1 mile at MP-10 seconds per mile). My last few days (starting with yesterday and working back) have been 10ez,10ez,6ez,14 w/ 8 at MP. Should I switch today's and tomorrow's runs so I can do the strength run when it's nice out or just do the strength run at the indoor track? (I sorta wanted to do these outside.)

cbus - that's how I feel about the long runs. I think running the distance is no big deal but the pace can make it more of a workout for sure. I have no problem running that pace on a good day but some days it's a little more of a struggle.  Nice weekly miles btw.

akalei - nice pace on the 14 - very speedy!

indi - good on the 17!  hope you enjoy the rest.

dtf - looks like I'm getting payback on the snow this week! ugh - in the forecast for three days this week. so ready to be done with winter.

flinders - great mileage this week!

Ball of Fury

Jedi:   Nice run!  I told DH yesterday we should look at Shamrock for 2014...he rolled his eyes Wink

Onemile:  I think the biggest drawback to doing the strength today is that you had a SOS (something of substance for non-Hanson folk) yesterday and he recommends not doing them back to back.  Having said that, I think if you feel up to it, it would be ok to go ahead and do it.  The deciding factor for me would be if I felt like my legs were in good enough shape to hit the paces without injuring myself or  having to work too hard.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - too far in advance to bring up to wife yet. Also considering ODM, NJM, and Glass City.

Jedi:   Nice run!  I told DH yesterday we should look at Shamrock for 2014...he rolled his eyes Wink 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - what about doing your strength workout on a TM just this week. All about getting the quality in the way it should with out dealing with the weather.

Question.. our weather this week is supposed to suck majorly - starting tomorrow (23mph wind and snow). My schedule says 8 easy for tonight and tomorrow is my first strength run (11 miles with 6x1 mile at MP-10 seconds per mile). My last few days (starting with yesterday and working back) have been 10ez,10ez,6ez,14 w/ 8 at MP. Should I switch today's and tomorrow's runs so I can do the strength run when it's nice out or just do the strength run at the indoor track? (I sorta wanted to do these outside.) 

Up Next:

???

onemile

No actually, this was my easy weekend and I haven't done a SOS since Thursday Smile

Onemile:  I think the biggest drawback to doing the strength today is that you had a SOS (something of substance for non-Hanson folk) yesterday and he recommends not doing them back to back.  Having said that, I think if you feel up to it, it would be ok to go ahead and do it.  The deciding factor for me would be if I felt like my legs were in good enough shape to hit the paces without injuring myself or  having to work too hard.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 5 easy on tap. I don't know how I'm gonna get them done as my legs are fried. Hope they come back in time for tomorrow's Strength run. Wed. can't get here soon enough.

Onemile, I'm kinda in the same dilemma. But I'm gonna stick with the schedule, since there's no way I'm going mile repeats feeling the way I do today. If you can do the Strength today, then I see no problem doing it. But if you can do them on an in door track, then no problem there too.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

I got to run at easy pace yesterday vs. you having to run at LR pace.  I don't think I would attempt it after my LR day.

Hey all,

Got 5 easy on tap. I don't know how I'm gonna get them done as my legs are fried. Hope they come back in time for tomorrow's Strength run. Wed. can't get here soon enough.

Onemile, I'm kinda in the same dilemma. But I'm gonna stick with the schedule, since there's no way I'm going mile repeats feeling the way I do today. If you can do the Strength today, then I see no problem doing it. But if you can do them on an in door track, then no problem there too.