Sub-4 Marathon Group

Hanson & Pfitz Discussion (Read 403 times)

DetroitTigerFan

Bago and Cmb - thanks for the advice - I agree on the 16 miler.  My only issue is a logistical one.  That 16 miler will have to be after work on a Wed.  Talking outloud here - If i'm doing a MP run, I'll need to find a place where i can run uninterrupted (usually after work due to logistics I have to run near my house and this means running in subdivisions with sidewalks that have stoplights at intersections every mile)  The weekend is different since I can drive to a park, but perhaps...and i'm going to have to get creative here....maybe I can find a park and leave work a little early and then drive home after that run,etc   My other worry is that this long run is on  a Wed pm after work - normally I do all my long runs in the am, especially those at MP.  Anyway thanks for helping me think through this !

Question - how many of you do your marathon pace long runs in the evening ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

bagopux

Except if there's some bad weather or other problem, I do all of my running in the morning.  We also have air quality issues here sometimes and the air quality is always better in the morning than in the afternoon (except when a storm moves through and washes it out).

I agree that an MP run where you'd have to stop for traffic lights a lot is a problem.   But if the traffic lights are only every mile, can't you double back between lights and at least get three miles between lights?  That would be a major improvement.

onemile

I did all of the MP runs in the evenings.  Luckily I don't have intersections where you have to wait more than a few seconds on my route though.  Fitting in a 16 miler in the evening sort of sucks but I do think it helped to have that mid-week longer run.

Bago and Cmb - thanks for the advice - I agree on the 16 miler.  My only issue is a logistical one.  That 16 miler will have to be after work on a Wed.  Talking outloud here - If i'm doing a MP run, I'll need to find a place where i can run uninterrupted (usually after work due to logistics I have to run near my house and this means running in subdivisions with sidewalks that have stoplights at intersections every mile)  The weekend is different since I can drive to a park, but perhaps...and i'm going to have to get creative here....maybe I can find a park and leave work a little early and then drive home after that run,etc   My other worry is that this long run is on  a Wed pm after work - normally I do all my long runs in the am, especially those at MP.  Anyway thanks for helping me think through this !

Question - how many of you do your marathon pace long runs in the evening ?

DetroitTigerFan

I agree that an MP run where you'd have to stop for traffic lights a lot is a problem.   But if the traffic lights are only every mile, can't you double back between lights and at least get three miles between lights?  That would be a major improvement.

Doubling back is an option, but I just need to keep my eyes wide open - cars backing down driveways and residential streets,etc. I guess the other option is that I do have a nice track nearby and a little park that has loops for 0.3 mile. Maybe I could go to both of those places for a few miles of the run too. I do my tempo/lac thresh run right now over an 8 mile course and seem to have no problem with 4 at MP - it's just fitting in 12 at MP. Maybe I can do the same 8 mile route, but for the last 4 MP miles turn back for 4 and then reverse for 4 on my way to finish (4x3=12) Now this is getting creative - lol

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I'm not sure about my MP runs. Currently looking for some good routes for them. Might do the shorter one on track, but we shall see. I only have a few at 5m and then go straight to 8-10m.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

DetroitTigerFan

Almost that time of year again - planning for Pfitz tune up races !

Any of you in Pfitz, what is your plan for tune up races :

1) are your doing 10K's, HM's, other ?

2) how many tune up races?

3) when are they compared to your marathon?

All the tune up races I can find are on Saturdays, which means I can't do a 20 mile long runs on Saturdays - i literally have to do them on Sunday, the day after the race.  It worked out fine, but i did have to run them slow. I debate this year after year - which is better the tune up or the 20 mile long run ?

My biggest issue - The week 5, 18 miler with 10+ at MP workout was conflicting with a tune up race.  Last year I did a HM at full steam race pace. Is this a reasonable substitution ?  again it worked out fine last year, but I want to make sure i'm being true to the plan. I feel like a HM is  a great tune up since i can compare to last year

Docket_Rocket

I would just do the 20 miler easy on week 9 and 10 make it as a 6 miles with 4 @ MP and just call it that way.  You won't be worse off by not doing the MP run or the 20 miler, but I think the 20 miler will help with your confidence more than a missed MP workout.

If you feel the MP miles are more important, do as the others have suggested.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page