Sub-4 Marathon Group

Gear and shoes (CBus' world) (Read 80 times)

It would be nice if they did that for the launch

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Just bought a new pair of Adidas Vanquish 6, inexpensive, very comfortable for my feet with just right arch support, reasonable cushioning but less than my Asicss or Mizunos Inspires. I feel the sole is stiffish, better for slower running than speedwork.

Weight 12.2 oz in mens' size 11 if that matters to you.

By the way, the weights of my shoes as measured on a digital postage meter are as follows:

New Balance Minimus....6.9oz

Mizuno Wave Elixir............10.9 oz

Mizuno Wave Inspire........12.2oz

Adidas Vanquish...............12.2oz

Asics 1160..........................13.2oz

and my son's Asics 2170 12.0oz

All shoes my size mens 10.5 or 11 depending on the shoe.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Cbus. Any insight regarding the Brooks Green Silence?

Smashy!!!

Cbus. Any insight regarding the Brooks Green Silence?

All I know is its being discontinued.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

RWH probably still has it on sale though.

All I know is its being discontinued.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

does anyone have experience with North Face shoes? What about Mizuno Ronin? How do they compare to Brooks Launch? Do the Ronins have a narrow heel cup like the Wave Rider15?

Smashy!!!

does anyone have experience with North Face shoes? What about Mizuno Ronin? How do they compare to Brooks Launch? Do the Ronins have a narrow heel cup like the Wave Rider15?

I don't know anything about North Face. but the Ronin is a flat. So it's a lot less shoe than the Launch. It will fit narrower in the heel than the Launch because it's a flat. But from what I've been told, for a flat, the Ronin fits loosely around the heel. My friend Becki has written a very good review of the Ronin, if you're interested: http://themiddlemiles.blogspot.com/2012/02/gear-review-mizuno-wave-ronin-4.html

I don't know anything about North Face. but the Ronin is a flat. So it's a lot less shoe than the Launch. It will fit narrower in the heel than the Launch because it's a flat. But from what I've been told, for a flat, the Ronin fits loosely around the heel. My friend Becki has written a very good review of the Ronin, if you're interested: http://themiddlemiles.blogspot.com/2012/02/gear-review-mizuno-wave-ronin-4.html

great article. The picture of her at the top while "posing the line" is awesome. That answers my questions. My transition to a lower stack went well with the Launch so i would like to further that into a flat. Slowly! Thanks Cbus

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

I've been comfortable in Ascis 2160 and Wave Rider 13 for the past year. Before that i used to wear the Nike Moto series.  Now I'm using Ascis 2170 (a bit tighter, but ok) and Wave Rider 15s.

I'm interested in moving towards 'racing flats' but am not sure which models would make a first step in the transition. I know going flater is hard on the feet/legs and would take the transition slow and use flatter/lighter shoes in limit. Current shoes are 11-12oz with significant heel-toe drop. Looking to get lighter...

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Strider,

I don't run in racing flats, and I don't really have a desire to. But one way to go about it is to run in "performance trainers" or "lightweight trainers," which are less shoe than the everyday trainers you're currently wearing and racing flats. Shoes like Mizuno Precision or Elixir, Brooks Launch or Pure Flow, Nike Zoom Elite...

I've been comfortable in Ascis 2160 and Wave Rider 13 for the past year. Before that i used to wear the Nike Moto series.  Now I'm using Ascis 2170 (a bit tighter, but ok) and Wave Rider 15s.

I'm interested in moving towards 'racing flats' but am not sure which models would make a first step in the transition. I know going flater is hard on the feet/legs and would take the transition slow and use flatter/lighter shoes in limit. Current shoes are 11-12oz with significant heel-toe drop. Looking to get lighter...

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Strider - I started the same process a month or so ago. The Brooks Launch are now my number 1s! Lightweight but still has enough shoe left to not tear your legs apart.

Canuck

Even though my older version 2s still have miles on them, the NB store was having a sale so I bought a new pair of 890v3s.  Really like them, the fit seems to be the same as the 2s, but they feel a bit lighter without having lost any cushioning.  Definitely becoming my favourite everyday trainer, I haven't worn my Vomeros for months.  They clock in at 7.9 oz for a women's size 8.  I wear a size 9, so I suspect they are just over 8 oz.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Strider,

I don't run in racing flats, and I don't really have a desire to. But one way to go about it is to run in "performance trainers" or "lightweight trainers," which are less shoe than the everyday trainers you're currently wearing and racing flats. Shoes like Mizuno Precision or Elixir, Brooks Launch or Pure Flow, Nike Zoom Elite...

Thank you Cbus; I've never heard of performance of lightweight trainers - will look into this.  Do you avoid flat shoes because of the associated risk of injury?

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Strider - I started the same process a month or so ago. The Brooks Launch are now my number 1s! Lightweight but still has enough shoe left to not tear your legs apart.

Thank you Roll, Zoe - your input is appreciated.

How did you go about finding brands/models based on what you've experienced?  Just guess?

I've searched RW's website for less weight/drop and as expected, a variety of choices come back.  It seems like the next step is to try a pair and see if it feels right after a few miles.  At least RW has a good return policy.

Zoe, I spoke to a RW rep a couple of weeks ago and she indicated the 809s, thanks for sharing your vote of confidence in those after using the 2160s.  I might try these next (have a mental block on some brands like NB, but probably should be more open-minded.  Smile

I found the Launch by asking here and then a LRS said the same so I tried them on. They are a bit narrow for me so I bumped up a 1/2 size. I went from 12MM to 10MM (Launch). Seems small but a slow transition is what I wanted. Of course now I have 5MM's (Brooks Pure Connect) but I am being cautious with them.