Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, deep inside, I was not sorry I missed it, bahaha!

3.25 run/walk with hubby and weights.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

AmiK, deep inside, I was not sorry I missed it, bahaha!

3.25 run/walk with hubby and weights.

Ok CBus Wink

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Amik - Stay with it sister!  You are gonna be fine.

Cbus - Nice mileage!

Still not feeling like the calf is ready.  Went out for a 20.90 mile bike ride on the new bike today.  Wow, what a difference a good bike makes.  Anyway, I went ahead and use the garmin for the ride as I have not done that before.  I figured I would go ahead and start logging my cycling also.  I got a good light set and may well get out and ride for 10 or 15 miles in the morning.  Not sure yet, but I am glad to have found an alternate form of exercise that is also very pleasing for me.  I never would have thought that I could have ridden a bike up the hills like I have been doing (slowly, but I am getting over them).

Roll - What kind of bike are you looking to get?

Happy Running Everyone!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Ami, sucks about the ITBS. I'm considering doing 5ks after my fall marathon. But i don't really know how to train for one, hence my question to Jedi. But you might not like what I'm gonna say next. I think this fall marathon will be my last, if it's a good experience. That's why I'm thinking of doing 5ks.

Nick, get well. Don't underestimate illness. It made me less than half the runner.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Ami:  Thanks!    At least now you know what is wrong, so let's get you healthy. It is no fun having good chunks of the donut shop on the shelf with injury. And glad you had a fun trip to Chicago!

re: gun starts. I don't think I've heard anyone use an actual starter's pistol at a race. But DC has draconian gun laws, so they're probably illegal.  Most races use an air horn or a bullhorn.  The Marines get to use a howitzer to start their races, but they're different.

Indy: enjoy the bike!

Cbus, Docket, Roll, DTF, Nick, and  everyone else: Hi there!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Ami, sucks about the ITBS. I'm considering doing 5ks after my fall marathon. But i don't really know how to train for one, hence my question to Jedi. But you might not like what I'm gonna say next. I think this fall marathon will be my last, if it's a good experience. That's why I'm thinking of doing 5ks.

Nick, get well. Don't underestimate illness. It made me less than half the runner.

Cbus and 5Ks?  I'll believe it when I see it. Big grin

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Indi - just a light weight road bike. If I can find a carbon fiber that fits the budget than so be it. Probably an aluminum frame with upgrades. > $$

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ami - Get well first !

mdawg - kind of surprised that we are up 2-0 in the series.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

Good morning!  Abs and 3 easy TM miles at the gym.  Running all easy miles this week in preparation for my Saturday HM.  I'm taking Wednesday and Friday off of running this week too.  I would run 3 easy on Friday, but that entails getting up at my normal dark thirty time and I'd rather get some extra sleep.  I'm sure I won't sleep much Friday night.  Kind of anxious about this race as it's the first one since Chicago and I really have no idea how I'll perform.  Guess I should just not worry about it and enjoy racing again.

Roll:  I'm more shocked at how they got to Quick last night.  I guess everyone has an off night, or according to one of the analysts, he could be tired.  We'll see if LA can respond at home.  They play well there.

Indy:  Glad you are enjoying the bike.  DH's first love is cycling which he got into after becoming a runner so who knows!

cbus:  So what prompted a possible end to marathons for you?

AmiK:  At least you have a diagnosis and can move forward.  Heal up!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did an easy run this morning.  More tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bagopux

re: gun starts. I don't think I've heard anyone use an actual starter's pistol at a race. But DC has draconian gun laws, so they're probably illegal.  Most races use an air horn or a bullhorn.  The Marines get to use a howitzer to start their races, but they're different.

Cape Cod uses a cannon ... a genuine cannon ... a genuine, really flippin' *loud* cannon!

Did 16.5 on hills in heat on Saturday, cleaned the house from top to bottom, front to back and inside and out from dawn to dusk on Saturday and Sunday.... we're moving! ... and did 8 this morning (with Fartlek) and my legs were absolutely toast coming back up the last hill.

So, yes, we're moving in July (same city, new location), which means that right in the middle of marathon training I'll have to learn a whole bunch of new routes and I'll lose all my old routes.  All this is great for variety's sake.  It'll now take me about 5 minutes tops to get to the closest greenway which circles a lake and has spurs that go for miles and miles.   But it'll be a drag for data comparisons to the previous year's training.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Good morning all.  10K yesterday was terrible - it was 88 degrees by 8;45 AM and humid as hell, so I just did a long ish run pace for the whole thing.  I'm not heat adapted.  I found out that my migraine medication prevents heat adaptation / makes it so you don't sweat, so i'm not taking it anymore...hopefully a good diet will help kill that.  My friends and I are doing Whole 30, so i'm getting all the junk out of my diet anyway.

Hot yoga tonight and then laundry.  Marathon training starts tomorrow.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Hi, asthma appointment went well.  I'm not anywhere close to having a good lung capacity (62%) but it's the highest I've been in 2 years!

Some of my races use guns.  I think someone use a cannon sound although I don't think there was a cannon for real.

Reminds me of Harry Potter: "At the sound of the cannon," BAM!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Great job in tough conditions.  There is no acclimating to humidity and all you can do is survive.  Good luck with the medication.

Good morning all.  10K yesterday was terrible - it was 88 degrees by 8;45 AM and humid as hell, so I just did a long ish run pace for the whole thing.  I'm not heat adapted.  I found out that my migraine medication prevents heat adaptation / makes it so you don't sweat, so i'm not taking it anymore...hopefully a good diet will help kill that.  My friends and I are doing Whole 30, so i'm getting all the junk out of my diet anyway.

Hot yoga tonight and then laundry.  Marathon training starts tomorrow.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Roll - I just got a new bike this weekend.  I think it came from Walmart. It has two wheels, brakes and a seat.  That's about all I know about bikes.  But it worked great for riding around the neighborhood with my kids.  I love it.

mdawg - If you aren't going to get much sleep Friday night, you should try to get some extra Thursday before the night-before-nerves kick in.  A glass of wine or beer might help too.  Have fun on Saturday.

Sprinkles - What plan are you starting?  It seems that most people around here have been doing Hansons lately, but I thought you were looking at Pfitz.  Did you use Pfitz before?  What kind of pace are you shooting for?

me - Great weekend of running, friends and family.  Friday was my PB monthly miles for May - 210.  Saturday was no running to rest for Sunday's race.  Went biking with my boys.  Sunday was my fourth Mud Run (10K).  Did it with wife and some friends.  It was my first one as a "real" runner, so I had a PR and met my goal of not walking any of it.  Donated my first pair of running shoes - they had 580 miles on them - ouch.  This morning I broke in my 4th pair (the ones I'll wear for my upcoming marathon).  Amazing run.  7 miles at 7:58 pace.  I'd never broken 8m/m before.  It must have been the shoes.