Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Smashy!!!

Just a comment for everyone who is dealing with ITBS: if you don't have one already, invest in a good foam roller, and roll out your IT bands consistently. I feel like that's the best home remedy.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Just a comment for everyone who is dealing with ITBS: if you don't have one already, invest in a good foam roller, and roll out your IT bands consistently. I feel like that's the best home remedy.

This thing was not cheap but it is a huge helper: http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Performance-Myofascial-Quadballer/dp/B000LCC780

The things I did to kill my ITBS:

1. foam roll

2. antiinflammatories for 5 days + rest during this time

3. ice after each run

4. PT

5. when it came back on the other side (ugh) Graston

6. start running flat and slow, uphills but never downhills

7. get a trigger point kit and work out the knots with that

8. switch from supportive shoes (mizuno inspire/nirvana) to neutral shoes (mizuno wave rider/pureflow) [this is the opposite of most people who end up needing more support]

I still get prophylactic graston after big races or if things feel tight

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

BLACKHAWKS BABBBBBYYYYY!!!

Drinketh from the cup-eth!!!!!!

Cool

"We Kane, we Shaw, we....Crawford"

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

Congrats to the Hawks! Kane is the man.

BLACKHAWKS BABBBBBYYYYY!!!

Drinketh from the cup-eth!!!!!!

Cool

"We Kane, we Shaw, we....Crawford"

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Insanity Plyo Cardio Circuit this morning...you know it's a great workout when you are still sweating AFTER you take a shower!!  Hip still feels great when working out, but a little achy.  Still thinking of trying to run next week...July 1 was supposed to be my start of MRT so would love to get at least a short run in that day.

Sprinkles:  Great job on the HM this weekend!  Your marathon paced training run was faster than my PR!  I may have to look into that myofascial ball....my ortho told me to get a rumble roller but I haven't yet.  I do really like the stick though.

Onemile:  52 miles...great job!!  You ready for next week?

Akalei:  Yay to no pain on the steps!!  I hope you continue to improve quickly.

Docket:  That's a hell of a cutback week!  If anyone deserves it, you do though.  I tried to tagged you in an Ink n Burn photo add on facebook this morning, but not sure if it worked...they were asking people to tag people they knew.

Cmb:  Glad your swimming is going well....that seems to be the hardest part of a tri for most people!

Indy:  You seem to be really enjoying your cycling...which is fantastic!  Hope you get to start running a bit soon.

Dtf:  5 lbs...that's a LOT of sweat!

MDawg:  I hope your appointment went well!

Roll:  33 miles is still a great number...especially in the summer.  Hockey....still got nothing!!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 with strides tonight.

AmiK, I tagged myself, no biggie!  Thanks!  Hope you enjoy the plyo/cardio workout.

For those injured, feel better!  have a great day, all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Question.  For the Hanson paces, you choose based on your current fitness and the tables he provided no?  Or if I want to train for a 4:05 I look that there and use those?  I don't recall.  I'm not using it this time around but I'm curious.

He has a chapter about choosing your goal.  It can be from a current shorter race or a reasonable goal based on a previous marathon.  For example, if you ran a 1:56 half, a 4:05 would be a reasonable goal.  OR if you previously ran a 4:10-4:15 marathon, shooting for 4:05 on the next might make sense.  But you obviously want to pick something realistic.  It's not like you just pick any time out of your head and if you do the training you can run it.

onemile

Sprinkles - It sounds like we had the same 2011 / early 2012.  And I also have been getting graston when things don't feel right. I think it's helping me stay uninjured.

cbus - I agree. I have the best "foam" roller...it's more like a pvc pipe though. It's really hard and so painful.  Big grin

Amik - I am ready. Getting bored with the easy stuff by now.  I think a short test run sounds like a good idea.  When my ITBS was bad, I did a test run every so often to see if it was improving and it didn't seem to hurt my progress.  My chiro and PT both thought doing short runs was helpful during recovery. The key is to stop before it gets painful.

bagopux

me - found a great way to lose 5 lbs !! run 8 miles at easy pace in 88 degrees. I'm sure it's all water weight and i'll be back up a few lbs tomorrow. Docket - do Miami runners have this phenomenon - do you like pound water after all workouts ? how many gatorades do you go through for each hot weather run? it seems like I go through 1 to 1.5 of the 32 oz gatorades for each really really warm run. I'm sure 88 feels cool to you though Smile

This actually brings up an interesting issue that I've been wrestling with.  I go out for a long run in the heat.  I can only drink so much during the run and invariably end up losing weight.  A few pounds.  I drink a lot when I'm done -- chocolate (soy) milk, cytomax & water -- because I just plain need it..  But that fills me up with so much liquid I feel like I'm not eating enough.  I can't seem to find a balance where I drink enough and eat enough after a long run in the heat ... say, 15+ miles with temp of 80+ and high humidity.  Anybody else have this issue?

cmb4314

Foam rolling has been a life saver for me.  The one that I have at home is so hard that it is agonizing to roll on, but it feels SO good afterwards.

Definitely more sore today than I was yesterday, but nowhere near as sore as I was when I first got the injury last week.  I'll just have to keep doing my strengthening and keep treating it carefully, and see how it goes.  It's so frustrating that my more crooked leg, already prone to running injury because of how it is structured, is the leg that I also happen to have all the traumatic injuries on.  I don't think a surgically repaired knee, and now a surgically repaired ankle, are helping my case in keeping that leg strong enough that all of the stress doesn't just fall on my IT band.  Combine that with whatever strength I lost from not using that leg between February and May, and I can't even run/walk short distances now without my ITBS flaring up.  It is going to be a long time and an extremely slow buildup before I'm running any real distance, I think.

Cmb:  Glad your swimming is going well....that seems to be the hardest part of a tri for most people!

I used to swim competitively - I was not fantastic, but I have a relatively efficient stroke so I can hop in the pool after not swimming laps for years and knock out a pretty decent distance without any trouble.  I will have to work on open water swimming, for sure.  I wish there was a good way to get used to swimming in a dense crowd and getting kicked in the face, though :P

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

mdawg87

7 TM miles this morning...1 w/u, 6x800s w/400 recoveries, 1.5 c/d.  Strength training tonight.  Good sports doc visit yesterday.  Everything looks and feels good.  Got a little Graston on the calves and one hamstring.  I'll go back in about 6 weeks for another check in.

Roll:  Stayed up through the first part of the 3rd period when it was still 1-1.  Wow, what a finish!  Saw the highlights on Sportscenter at the gym.  I bet some of those players are just now going to bed.  Others (Toews, Kane, etc.) are probably on their way to media appearances.  I'm sure they'll find a way to tough it out on very little sleep!

AmiK:  I agree that a test run next week is a good idea.  Excellent news that the hip is only a little achy.

cbus:  The foam roller and The Stick are my best friends.  Can't emphasize enough how helpful they are.

bago:  I find that the heat inhibits my appetite whether it's from running or just being out in it...say at the pool.  I make sure I drink enough and worry about the food second.  It may be later in the day when the hunger kicks back in, but I've had enough prior to that to still feed my body and recover from workouts.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Roll:  Stayed up through the first part of the 3rd period when it was still 1-1.  Wow, what a finish!  Saw the highlights on Sportscenter at the gym.  I bet some of those players are just now going to bed.  Others (Toews, Kane, etc.) are probably on their way to media appearances.  I'm sure they'll find a way to tough it out on very little sleep!

cbus:  The foam roller and The Stick are my best friends.  Can't emphasize enough how helpful they are.

MDawg - I was talking with my wife about that and mentioned how I cant believe they haven't made a movie about the actual cup itself and the places its been.

When do you use the stick vs using the foam roller? I bought a "stick" it seems to help.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

For the Hanson paces, you choose based on your current fitness and the tables he provided no?  Or if I want to train for a 4:05 I look that there and use those?  I don't recall.  I'm not using it this time around but I'm curious.

They provide a table that indicates the required paces.  So, if you want a 4:05:00 marathon, you would need a 9:21 MP pace (actually a bit less than that if you actually want to hit 4:05:00.)  From the table, that indicates a HM pace of 8:58, 10k pace of 8:34 and 5k pace of 8:13.  So, if you can handle these paces in training then you should be good to go for a 4:05.

The first time I used Hansons I found that I was having no problem with the various training paces, so I would decrease them a bit each workout (which in turn decreased my anticipated marathon time.)   I kept decreasing them until I hit a plateau, and then took that associated MP as the target for the marathon.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

He has a chapter about choosing your goal.  It can be from a current shorter race or a reasonable goal based on a previous marathon.  For example, if you ran a 1:56 half, a 4:05 would be a reasonable goal.  OR if you previously ran a 4:10-4:15 marathon, shooting for 4:05 on the next might make sense.  But you obviously want to pick something realistic.  It's not like you just pick any time out of your head and if you do the training you can run it.

My team coach, who is using canova right now, said that you should use current paces for anything shorter than a full marathon, but run marathon pace runs at goal pace.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

My team coach, who is using canova right now, said that you should use current paces for anything shorter than a full marathon, but run marathon pace runs at goal pace.

Does he have suggestions for determining goal pace?