Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

Thanks!  I'll see how well I do in Chicago but I think 4:15 is not that far away from my current abilities (precluding asthma issues).  So, I am looking forward to seeing what my coach has in store and plan for there for my next season using Hanson.

He has a chapter about choosing your goal.  It can be from a current shorter race or a reasonable goal based on a previous marathon.  For example, if you ran a 1:56 half, a 4:05 would be a reasonable goal.  OR if you previously ran a 4:10-4:15 marathon, shooting for 4:05 on the next might make sense.  But you obviously want to pick something realistic.  It's not like you just pick any time out of your head and if you do the training you can run it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

DTF, hehe.  I lose 7lbs on 5 milers down here.  It's nice until you gain them back!

bagopux, I run insane amounts in the Summer.  100oz on a 20 miler once.  Instead of the heat, mine increases depending on humidity.  Most of the time, I have to change clothes during LRs because the pants are so soaked they are about to fall off by Mile 7.

cmb, hope the recovery continues.  Sorry you're going through all this.

mdawg, nice TM workout!

Rollcast, I'm not mdawg, but I use the stick for tight muscles (like a knot in my calf, etc.)  The roller for just soreness and tightness overall.

RVD, I can handle those paces in a 5K and 10K (my 5K PR from September is 8:05mm) but the longer the distance, the worst the lungs get so I always have to give it a few seconds more to make up for that.  So, for example, a 9:21mm might be OK with normal lungs, but maybe I could do a 9:30 instead for the whole race.  Very frustrating, lungs!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

akalei

Morning all!  So I went out this morning to try an easy run, went slow for the first mile and wound up walking the 2nd because it was starting to hurt.  Went to PT, he did Graston and manual therapy on my IT band (several "oh wow, do you feel how gritty that is?") and hip.  He also put me in the computerized gait analysis gear, where we figured out I don't put any presusre on my toes and actually tend to curl them... weird.  So that needs to be fixed.  Anyway, he said I should be feeling much better in 2-3 weeks, but no running for now.  I forgot to ask about Insanity, but I'm thinking he'll say no.

cbus: foam roller is my best friend--now.  I've had it all along but neglected it, and had I not, I probably would have not been in this position!

Sprinkles: I'm also on my 2nd bout of the ITBS, opposite leg this time.  I'm starting to think about deferring Wineglass and signing up for Philly in late November or Jacksonville in December instead... time is everything for my fall race, so I want to be on top of things.

Hope everyone else is healing nicely.  Sheesh, we're a sore bunch.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Hi everyone!

Sorry I have not dropped in for a few days, it seems you are all making good progress.

I got my first three runs in last week but dropped my scheduled 13 miles on Sunday because the temperature was well into the 90's- I am not going to run in that!  Had a very sweaty 10.5kms today at close to 80 degrees with high humidity.

On picking a marathon goal, I don't want to base mine on my recent half because that will lead to an unrealistic expectation- I slow down more than most people on longer distances.

Went down to Toronto on Sunday to see the tall ships, had lunch at a really good restaurant then coffee at the Jet Fuel coffee shop with DW and DS plus two friends.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Ran 8.25ish easy this morning. It felt pretty tough though, so I'm still recoverying from Sunday's LR.

Cmb, your tri training plan sounds great! Good luck!

Pux, like you, I seem to be drinking all my calories. I'm not really worried about weight loss, since I don't seem to be losing any.

Happy running everyone!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

MDawg - I was talking with my wife about that and mentioned how I cant believe they haven't made a movie about the actual cup itself and the places its been.

When do you use the stick vs using the foam roller? I bought a "stick" it seems to help.

Nice new avi!  Is that Shaw?

I use the stick when I want to be more aggressive.  It gets deeper than the foam roller.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

It is Shaw. I liked it because of the bleeding stitches while holding the cup.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei - sorry to hear about the 2-3 weeks off.  I'd probably defer Wineglass and sign up for a later marathon.  I dropped to the half at WG bc of my calf issues last year and ran philly.  This year it looks like Wineglass is sold out.  Philly was a great race. I hate ITBS.

Bago - conservative goals are good - I noticed my half time didn't quite predict my marathon pace either , but rather, the marathon pace I ran a good 6 months later, not the same training cycle.

Me - tonight I'm doing my 8 mi w/ strides with my team, only my strides will be the hill repeats we are doing.  I figure I will cool down an extra 2 miles after practice to get the mileage in.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Afternoon Everybody!

Simon - Ever think about running those miles in the morning wihen the sun is down?

Akalei - Yes, a sore bunch many of us are.  Oh well, I guess it comes with the hobby.

I packed the bike into work today and rode between 4 and 5:15 in the morning.  Nice roads with no traffic so I fairly well enjoyed myself.  Rode just a shade under 22 miles.  No upload for the log until I get home later tonight.  It is friggin hot and I need to get the lawn mowed when I get home which will be workout #2 for the day.  On the upside, I will be cooking a large salmon filet and basting it in teriyaki sauce.  Always, Yummy.  Hopefully I will start running again next week.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Just registered for a 5k on Sunday.  I was thinking I need a gauge on my fitness before I start training again.

Docket_Rocket

Of course!  Good luck!

Just registered for a 5k on Sunday.  I was thinking I need a gauge on my fitness before I start training again.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Roll:  33 miles is still a great number...especially in the summer.  Hockey....still got nothing!!!

Thanks lady!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

DetroitTigerFan

Bago - re: drinking - I can't stand water sloshing in the stomach while running so i always sip....yet I lose weight too.  I tried using those Hammer Endurolyte pills in the high heat of summer and that seems to help retain water/prevent cramps. However, at the same time - I used those pills during the marathon in cold weather and still lost a lot of weight. I'm wondering if the pills are only useful in summer months ? (should I not even use them on race day?)  After running I balance the drinking with eating and eventually get full though to answer your question

Docket - how do you do strides? I think you told me last year.  I've tried youtube to see exactly how to do them. I was supposed to do 10 of them on my 8 miler yesterday and just simply forgot to do them - lol

roll - nice avatar. I'm glad the wings lost to the cup winner !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

nachosgrande

Hey Donuts -  Long time, no talk. Hope everyone is well!  (injuries aside)

I finally started PT a few weeks ago.  My PT has me doing a lot ankle/calf strengthening exercises and stretching.  Good news is that she seems to think I'll eventually be able to get back to running.  Bad news is that I can't really tell if I'm making progress and I still have pretty bad achilles tendonitis to go with piriformis syndrome.  I've about had it with the stationary bike and elliptical.   I've been researching road bikes and hope to pick something up soon so I can start getting some exercise in the great outdoors again.  Not many things more depressing than riding a stationary bike in a gym that's two blocks away from the beach in the summer.  Cool

Keep up the good work, Donuts.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indiana - Nice bike ride at a really early hour! I have gotten up that early to pace a half marathon, and that is it.

Onemile- Curious to see how your 5k goes - I have no idea how mine would go on fresh legs at this point.

DTF - are you doing 18/55 (I had that stride workout today)

Nachos- Good to hear from you - that avatar looks tasty.  Sorry everything is slow going...but that's good the PT is so optimistic

Me - 7 miles instead of 8 tonight - I had an 8:30 pm call that made my run a mile short.  I went to team practice instead of running on my own, which was really nice and made the miles fly - I will do it again, even if it cuts my Piftz workout short or makes it a little slower or different than I expected.

Mile 1: Warmup

Mile 2: Hill repeats (instead of strides)

Mile 3-6: MP miles with teammates running around an 8:30-8:35 goal marathon

Mile 7: Cooldown mile

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55