Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Smashy!!!

I would do option 2 or 3. Probably 3. I also like Onemile's suggestion.

Quick donut question !  13 miles with 8 at MP

Where in the run would you do the MP miles ? and would it matter if it were raining lightly ?

• 2 warm up + 8 MP + 3 cool down
    • 5 warm up + 8 MP (finish at MP)
    • 4 warm up + 8 MP + 1 cool down

What say all ye Pfitz runners ????? lol

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Right. So why don't you run that 5k?  Wink

Now you've hurt my feelings... Cry.

onemile

Now you've hurt my feelings... Cry.

Ooh take out all that angst during the race.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

DTF:  I'd probably split the wu/cd in half equally, or do what onemile suggested.  This is just me, but I'm finding that I need more warmup in order to hit paces than I'll need cooldown at the end.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

I would do 4-5 warmup and the 8@MP with any difference as the cool down.  Just because it takes me at least 4 miles for my asthma to clear up and for my legs to warm up.  But either one of the choices is correct, according to Pfitz.

Quick donut question !  13 miles with 8 at MP

Where in the run would you do the MP miles ? and would it matter if it were raining lightly ?

• 2 warm up + 8 MP + 3 cool down
            • 5 warm up + 8 MP (finish at MP)
            • 4 warm up + 8 MP + 1 cool down

What say all ye Pfitz runners ????? lol

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I plan to join hubby on his long run (of 3) and do weights.

Hope everybody is having a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

6 easy at a local park this morning.  Off to the pool shortly.  I know you're all surprised that's how I'm spending my day.  DH comes home from his CO bike race tomorrow.  They end up back in Denver today.  I think it's supposed to be warmer there than here in Atlanta today.  That'll be a shock for him after having been in the mountains all week.

Docket:  your DH definitely has the running bug.  That's awesome!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Heh everyone - thanks for all your run thoughts. Just got back. In the past years, I did 3 warm up + 8 MP + 2 cool down. However due to the mileage being around 13, I decided to challenge myself to the 5 warm up + 8 at MP.  The last 8 I averaged 9:04 with 9:09 as my target (4hr)

It was a little tougher than expected, I think partially due to my 5 recovery the day before and some misc stomach issues and other excuses of mine - lol.  I tried my best to hold 9:09 but kept swinging over and under. I'm trying to get in the mode of hitting 9:09 since last years marathon, I was too fast by at least 10 sec/mile for a good chunk of the race. I really need to keep working my long runs to smooth out my wavy pace and stay at 9:09. I'm wondering if for the next MP long run I do the same approach to finish strong or do more MP miles in the middle and add in a cool down (since the mileage is higher than 13- i.e - the next MP run in a few weeks is 16 miles with 10 at MP)

Now for the Pfitz nap ! they need to add that on the schedule......   Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

cmb4314

Heh everyone - thanks for all your run thoughts. Just got back. In the past years, I did 3 warm up + 8 MP + 2 cool down. However due to the mileage being around 13, I decided to challenge myself to the 5 warm up + 8 at MP.  The last 8 I averaged 9:04 with 9:09 as my target (4hr)

It was a little tougher than expected, I think partially due to my 5 recovery the day before and some misc stomach issues and other excuses of mine - lol.  I tried my best to hold 9:09 but kept swinging over and under. I'm trying to get in the mode of hitting 9:09 since last years marathon, I was too fast by at least 10 sec/mile for a good chunk of the race. I really need to keep working my long runs to smooth out my wavy pace and stay at 9:09. I'm wondering if for the next MP long run I do the same approach to finish strong or do more MP miles in the middle and add in a cool down (since the mileage is higher than 13- i.e - the next MP run in a few weeks is 16 miles with 10 at MP)

Now for the Pfitz nap ! they need to add that on the schedule......   Smile

I believe somewhere in the Pfitz book, he says to do the easy miles all at the start, and then finish the run with the MP miles.  It is possible that i'm making this up, but I know I ran my 16 w/10 @ MP with the middle part at MP and a warm up/cool down, then was reading the book later and noticed that it said to do it with the MP all at the end.  

I was trying to figure out why I didn't remember the MP run you did today, but I think I skipped it because I ran an all out HM on the first weekend of my training and futzed around with the first few long runs because of it.  

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Just finished 9.7 easy @ 8:52.  Got started a bit late and the heat was getting to me by the end.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DetroitTigerFan

cmb - thanks for the info. I reread the chapter and you're correct - slowly pick up the pace and do the last miles at MP.  One of my goals this year is to be more true to the Pfitz plan as best I can. As an example - I looked and last year I actually did today's 13mile workout faster last year at 8:58 BUT I also did NOT do the 5 mile recovery run the night before. I did it 2 days before and was more rested last year. I'm still bummed I was faster last year, but i'm hoping that there is a reason for that - that my performance today (that hit my goal) was more in line with the plan - since I did run those 5 miles yesterday night, unlike last year,etc

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

onemile

It was a little tougher than expected, I think partially due to my 5 recovery the day before and some misc stomach issues and other excuses of mine - lol.  I tried my best to hold 9:09 but kept swinging over and under. I'm trying to get in the mode of hitting 9:09 since last years marathon, I was too fast by at least 10 sec/mile for a good chunk of the race.

Nicely done DTF. I think it took me a few of these MP runs to get into a groove at MP without having to be constantly speeding up / slowing down.

onemile

I ran 7 this morning and it was sorta rough.  But after my 13 last night I kind of expected that.  Hopefully I'll feel alright for my race tomorrow - I think having 24 hours recovery should help.

Flinders this is for you. I was driving 107 while it was 0 degrees...or ...wait...what

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

Roll, you STILL need washer fluid? Dude, get it done, already!

Flinders this is for you. I was driving 107 while it was 0 degrees...or ...wait...what