Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Docket_Rocket

I'm sorry you're still dealing with this.  Hope you get back at it soon!

Docket - agree with most, that congratulations are in order for converting your hubby.  Tell him I said "good on you"!  I am hoping to be running (jogging?) the local 5K on July 4 weekend with my wife.  I have conceded that I cannot race it this year due to injury so my sub 20 plans are out the window.  But, I would carry alot more joy to say I ran a 5K with my wife on my 2nd running anniversary.

mdawg - You and jedi are the treadmill masters.

I am feeling that I should be able to start running this weekend.  If all goes well with a slow 3 to 5 miles I will bike in between running days till I and add running days accordingly.  Sure would like to run a half on September 1st even if I cant race it.

By the way........I really enjoy cycling.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Hey Donuts!  Just a quick second to say hi....crazy busy day in the OR!  I rested yesterday because after my 3-miler Sunday, I could definitely feel the hip, just with walking.  It feels better today but not good enough to run so I settled for Insanity Plyo Cardio Circuit and some stretching/strengthening.  I am seriously contemplating just doing a complete cycle of Insanity (63 days) and only occasional runs if my body allows.  I feel like that would keep my cardiovascular fitness up, build some strength, and also be good for my hips/legs.  Hopefully, at that point, my ITB would let me pick running back up with base building.  Not sure what that would do for my HM and FM that I already registered for (September 22 and Nov 2).  I could maybe complete the HM just as a run and then race the HM (dropping down from the full) in November, but who knows!  Any thoughts?

CBus:  Certainly none of us would blame you for making October your last marathon or last for a while.  It is very labor intensive and I think weighs on you mentally after a while as well...especially the "disappointments."

Indy:  I am so sorry you are still having the calf issue.  A 5K with your DW sounds great!  I am still trying to convince DH he should go ahead with the IMM and not worry about my injury but he is unsure.

Everyone else:  Hi and sorry I don't have time for a full post.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

cmb4314

Hey donuts!

I've been MIA for a while - very busy and emotionally draining weekend for a few reasons, so I haven't been on the computer much.

Ran for the first time on Friday, and it went pretty well.  Did intervals of 2 minutes run, 2 minutes walk - ultimately I ended up running a full mile in 6 2-minute segments.  Ran again yesterday and my wonderful husband came with me - I decided since it was nice out I'd run outside, and I increased my run intervals to 3 minutes and still felt really good, and actually ran for 4.5 minutes straight to finish off the run.  In all honesty, my cardio feels fine at this pace, but my leg and foot muscles are holding me back just as much as, if not more than, my ankle is.

Indy and AmiK - I hope your injuries heal up for you soon!

Cbus - I totally understand not wanting to jump right into another marathon training program - I usually need a while off after a cycle before I have the itch to do it again.  Usually, I get that itch when I see improvement in my running through shorter races - makes me want to see how it would translate up to the marathon, and gives me the motivation through the higher volume training.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Hi everyone!

Congratulations to Mr.Docket! Best wishes to all who are struggling with injuries.

Cbus, you can take a low-key approach to the 5k, stay in shape and enjoy yourself; or you can become obsessive about each second,

lifting weights, doing form drills and sprints and box jumps, and probably not enjoying yourself. It all depends on how competitive you want to be and what you make of it.

Short fartlek run for me today, less than 40 minutes.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Quick stop for the evening.  HI to simon, cmb, docket, and amik!

Went out for a 16 mile bike ride tonight.  I am getting close to having the fit of the bike tuned in pretty well.  Feeling pretty good at the moment about getting in a 3 to 5 mile run this Saturday.  If I didnt have the bike I would be going nuts.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  I've been so focused on other things, it totally slipped my mind that I'm flying out to FL on Sunday morning.  Guess I better think about packing at some point!

Indy:  Glad to hear the calf is improving.

Roll/cbus:  LA was tough at home as always.  Will be interested to see how Chicago responds in game 4.  Will also be interested to see if Richards makes it back into LA's line up.

Bago:  What prompted the move?

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Indi - youre gonna end up talking me into buying a bike Big grin

Mdawg - rough game. Keith in the box for 4 minutes and no goal? Bring on game 4.

Ran a couple of easy miles last night with the kiddos while they rode their bikes. I am trying the RW challenge. The challenge is to run everyday from Memorial Day until July 4th (minimum of 1 mile). So my run last night was short because its usually a rest day.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

Morning all!,

Yesterday, I ran 8, which ended up as a progression run of sorts. Today's a SRD.

Thanks everyone for sounding off on my marathon goals. All of this is predicated on having a good race in Oct. If I bomb out again, I'll probably do another, even if I don't enjoy it.

Indi, glad you're enjoying the bike!

Ami, sorry to hear about the hip. Have you tried taking some NSAIDs? I know it's not the long term solution, but sometimes you just need to knock out the inflammation.

Cmb, congrats on your first run!!! That's awesome. Here's hoping it all goes well from here.

Mdawg/Roll, the series is going the way I thought it would so far. I fully expect the Kings to win Game 4--because if they don't, it's over. But they'll need to win Game 5 too to have any shot. I saw some of the rough play from the Chicago players, which I like, because when they try to play physical, they just play into the Kings' strength. Chicago is much better trying to play a speed/skill game. The more physical this series gets, the more I like the Kings' chances. As far as Richards: concussion like symptoms probably means he's out for the rest of the series, which is tough, since he's our second line center, and was playing great this postseason.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did a morning run and boy was it humid.  75 dewpoint and 86F and it was not even 7am.  Fortunately (and unfortunately) we have not seen the sun in 4 days since we're getting a tropical storm/some other shit coming in from the gulf.  Fortunately, because if it was sunny, the weather would be at 100F heat index already (forecast for today is 97F), but unfortunately, because the dewpoint is through the roof.  Frizzy hair?  I have it.

More miles and weights tonight.

CBus, nice 8.  Enjoy the SRD today.

Rollcast, hope the streak goes well.

mdawg, enjoy the rest!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

The Big Board is all updated. It looks like not everyone has updated their info for the Big Board. If you have a recent race result, please remember to post it in the thread so that I can put it into the chart.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

So, today I figured out that I can run from my house, all the way across St. Paul, and hit 21 miles right as I cross the river into Minneapolis.  And I'd be on asphalt path the entire way, other than ~.2 miles in my actual neighborhood - I mean, I'd have to cross a bunch of streets, but I'd never have to run on the shoulder of the road, or even on concrete sidewalks.

It is the sign of a) a runner and b) a crazy person that I really want to do this now Big grin

This would also dump me out in a really nice park with a good seafood stand in it (well.....good by Minnesota standards), so I would be rewarded for my efforts with some fish tacos and a beer.  Yes, once the legs are back in shape, I shall have to try this some time.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

So, today I figured out that I can run from my house, all the way across St. Paul, and hit 21 miles right as I cross the river into Minneapolis.  And I'd be on asphalt path the entire way, other than ~.2 miles in my actual neighborhood - I mean, I'd have to cross a bunch of streets, but I'd never have to run on the shoulder of the road, or even on concrete sidewalks.

It is the sign of a) a runner and b) a crazy person that I really want to do this now Big grin

This would also dump me out in a really nice park with a good seafood stand in it (well.....good by Minnesota standards), so I would be rewarded for my efforts with some fish tacos and a beer.  Yes, once the legs are back in shape, I shall have to try this some time.

I'd do something like this in a heartbeat!  This spring I started taking the subway to places out away from the center of DC and using the many trails that crisscross the area to run back home.  It was a lot of fun, and I got to run in places that I don't normally get to.  (Of course, I can do this in reverse and run from home out to the suburbs, but I don't necessarily want to be the sweaty/stinky/vile guy on the train riding home).

Hi everyone!

My legs still feel like lead.  Calves, mostly, at about 1.5 miles into a run.  I'm taking tomorrow off, and will try to run Friday to see where things stand.  Yesterday I did 3.5 @ high 9s at lunch and 2000 yards in the pool after work.  Today was 3.5 @ low 9s and 3000 yards in the pool.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Flinders and cmb - I look for routes like that all the time as I drive but never act on it. Chicken.

5.5 miles at a easy pace. Didn't watch mpm, just ran. I like doing that as long as I get my goal miles in. 9 days into RW challenge. Feel great.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Morning Donuts!  I wish I had alot of the opportunities to even go out to different running routes.

18.2 on the bike last night.  Fun.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

akalei

Morning all, it's been a while.  Wineglass training officially started Tuesday, and I'm resting as of yesterday.  First run on Tuesday went horribly--had to stop 3 times because I was sick to my stomach and not sure why.  Yesterday was an off day, so I did Insanity.  Got through Pure Cardio (about 40 minutes) without issue, then I went to start the 16 minute Cardio Abs video and as I was jogging in place, got a horrible shooting pain in the inside of my foot, a little above the arch.  Initially panicked and thought there might be a stress fracture, but I can hop on it several times without pain and I don't feel anything until I start the jogging in place again, so I'm thinking tendonitis.  It's near where I had the issues from the PF2's before, too.  Going to rest a few days and lift/ride bike if anything.  Anyone have experience with these issues?  Any good suggestions for cross training or a lifting program to recommend?

Blah. I feel so discouraged.

Ami: Insanity will likely help your ITB a lot... the bulk of what I did in PT for my ITB issues was plyometrics.

cmb: that sounds like a nice run. and a delicious finish.

Haven't been following the Kings/Blackhawks series too closely, but as a Flyers fan, MAN was I happy to see the Bruins win last night.  The refs couldn't have possibly tried harder to hand that game to the Pens, and NBC Networks' love affair with Crosby makes me want to puke.  Just sayin'.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com