Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  I had my follow-up with the ortho Friday and yeah, he is pretty much at a loss for what to do right now.  We discussed surgery but I am not really ready for that at this point, so we just agreed that I would do a full cycle of Insanity for the next 2 months with zero running to see if we can just reset the whole system.  At that point, I would then try to start running again, almost as if I was starting for the first time.  Hopefully, that will work.  I am pretty disappointed about the whole thing, although I do love Insanity and I feel like it's much better for overall, total body fitness than running.  Anyway, I will check in from time to time but probably won't post daily for the next couple months.  Good luck to all of you starting fall marathon training!!  Kick ass!

MDawg and DTF:  Great job on your races!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Extreme first half pacing failure, 1:46:29.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

A nice time nonetheless Nick.  From your message it seems you learned something to help in the full marathon later this year.  Congrats!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Still a good race Nick!  Way to go!

Amik - I hope you will post more often than not.  Your presence will be missed.  If your hip would cooperate, I think cycling will offer you an endurance fix. In the grand scheme of things, if you can do it, it will probably make you a better runner when you get back at it.  I will be going to see my doc sometime this week I hope.  I am hoping the surgery word doesnt come up either.

Got out and put in 45.4 miles on the bike today.  I was tiring during the last 10 miles but I had a good time, learned a few things, and definately got an endurance fix.  Using muscles that I am not used to using with the change in sport.  I set up the kids pool yesterday and was it was about 1/2 full of very cold water when I got home from the ride.  I showered, made a smoothie, and dipped my lower half into that nice cold water for about a 1/2 hour.  Felt good.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

So, I went into the race pretty confident that I wasn't in shape to run faster than a 7:45 pace by my watch on the flater/downhill part if I wanted to have something left for the hills at the end. I also know that it is ok for my HR to get into the 150's on the hills and at the end of the race, but I have to recover into the low 140's or 130's even on the down hill - in other words, I can't run a strong race if my HR is in the 150's for the whole thing. Well, for some reason I have the ability to always convince myself that it is ok to sleep in just a little longer, and run just a little faster. It just seemed so easy... until after mile 8. Dumb!!! (But I did have a fun day, and hopefully I will learn my lesson eventually.)

Mile Dist Time Pace Ave HR Total
            1 1.01 07:39 7:36 128 0:07:39
            2 1.02 07:40 7:33 146 0:15:19
            3 1.00 07:18 7:18 146 0:22:37
            4 1.01 07:27 7:20 150 0:30:04
            5 1.01 07:41 7:36 151 0:37:45
            6 1.00 07:37 7:36 153 0:45:22
            7 1.00 07:44 7:43 154 0:53:06
            8 1.00 07:43 7:42 156 1:00:49
            9 1.00 08:24 8:22 156 1:09:13
            10 1.00 08:43 8:42 154 1:17:55
            11 1.01 09:24 9:19 155 1:27:20
            12 1.01 09:29 9:25 156 1:36:49
            13 1.01 08:53 8:46 156 1:45:42
            13.1 0.10 00:47 8:08 160 1:46:29

Docket_Rocket

Still a good job, Nick!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

akalei

Hey everyone... getting some work done (on a Sunday evening... booo!!) so I thought I'd swing by.  Ran 6 today (was supposed to do 12, but my first since the foot issue the other day so I wanted to take it easy) and had no pain!  A little bit of "feeling it"--mainly feeling tightness--after, but nothing concerning.  I think it's tendonitis from not stretching properly... or at all half the time.   I think my plan this week will be to complete all the miles Pfitz dictates without being too concerned with speed, then re-integrate that next week.  So my 5K Saturday will not be shooting for a PR.  Probably.

Mdawg: Congrats on an awesome race!

Ami: So sorry you're still having the problems Sad  Kudos to you for keeping your head up... you're an awesome chick!  And by the time you get through Insanity, you'll be Tonya-jacked! haha

Nick: Nice race nonetheless!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Ami - you mentioned surgery as a possibility, what would you be fixing if someone were to go that route? Can ITBS be helped somehow that way? Or would it be for possible bursitis?

Thanks everyone for the congrats.

Docket_Rocket

Frustrating!  Hope you can find an answer.

Maybe checking with another doctor that can give you a fresh take on it?

Morning Donuts!  I had my follow-up with the ortho Friday and yeah, he is pretty much at a loss for what to do right now.  We discussed surgery but I am not really ready for that at this point, so we just agreed that I would do a full cycle of Insanity for the next 2 months with zero running to see if we can just reset the whole system.  At that point, I would then try to start running again, almost as if I was starting for the first time.  Hopefully, that will work.  I am pretty disappointed about the whole thing, although I do love Insanity and I feel like it's much better for overall, total body fitness than running.  Anyway, I will check in from time to time but probably won't post daily for the next couple months.  Good luck to all of you starting fall marathon training!!  Kick ass!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Nick - congrats on the race - wow - that was a fast mile 3 & 4 - you were getting close to 6's. How was the race itself? sounds pretty hilly ? good event ?

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

mdawg87

Evening all!  Why am I still up?

Docket:  I'm in Ormond Beach (visiting my sister) so I'm about 3 hours north of you.  DH and I keep talking about a weekend in Miami worked around one of his business trips.  Definitely need to make a FE happen if he and I can get our work schedules aligned.

Nick:  Good job hanging on at the end.  Still a great time even with pacing issues.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Keep me posted!  I'll be in SF after Thursday; otherwise, I could've think of something on a Sunday since hubby works that day and I'm pretty much here alone.

Evening all!  Why am I still up?

Docket:  I'm in Ormond Beach (visiting my sister) so I'm about 3 hours north of you.  DH and I keep talking about a weekend in Miami worked around one of his business trips.  Definitely need to make a FE happen if he and I can get our work schedules aligned.

Nick:  Good job hanging on at the end.  Still a great time even with pacing issues.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Nick - I ran a similar first half to my PR half marathon (1:45) - I went out in the low 8's/7's to make sure I'd hit that 1:45 mark, and even ran the hills in the race at that pace.  The end was all about just hanging on for dear life.  No idea what my heartrate was because it was so cold...but it sounds like you got the job done!  Nice one.

Akalei - sounds like a good plan.  Hope it stays away!  We have BQ's to chase (even though I doubt myself very much and need to stalk logs of sub 3:35 Pfitzers to see how my paces match up).

Me - 12 yesterday - avg 9:0x something pace, posted it in my running ahead log.  I'm actually using that this time.  Spin tonight, mostly because I forgot to cancel my class and go to Bikram instead (I have a month new student pass).  I'm thinking of doing the Fairfield Half Marathon not this Sunday, but the one after, to get a training run in in the suburbs - it can be kind of difficult to run there sans sidewalks.

I need to go stalk the NC forum to see if someone can give me tips on where to run in Charlotte, since I will be there for a week in July

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Took the kids to the zoo yesterday, which zapped me. That and trying to teach DS to ride a bike, and my back was killing me, so I took the day off. Last week was a cut back week anyway, and with MRT still a few weeks off, I saw no need to kill myself. It was a struggle not to run nonetheless, but I forced myself to rest anyway, since I thought it was the right thing to do. So finished up with 34 miles for the week. This week is back to normal.

Ami, sorry about the frustrating injury. +1 to Indi's comment: hope you stick around and post updates on your progress with Insanity. I seriously considered buying the Insanity DVDs, not to do the workouts, but just to have it play and hear Shaun T.'s encouragements. Love that guy.

Akalei, maybe I missed it, but injury are you dealing with? A little AT? Hope the job hunt is going well, btw.

Indi, are you able to get your chiro to look at your calf yet? S/he seemed to have fixed your other injury. Maybe they can fix the calf too.

Roll, thanks for the shout out. It's great to get regular miles in. Good luck to your Hawks!

Mdawg, enjoy the vacation, and the flatland running!

Nick, Mdawg, and DTF, congrats on great races! Be sure to post your results on the Big Board.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

You might want to try a physiatrist. The quick definition "Physiatrists, or rehabilitation physicians, are nerve, muscle, and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move."

Both my daughter and another friend of mine are experiencing undiagnosed hip pain.  They've both been to doctors, tried physical therapy and still have the issue.  Both are also cyclists.  Daughter has an appointment with a physiatrist (as recommended by another doctor) to see if they can find the root cause of her hip pain issue. One doctor asked her if her bike was properly fitted.