Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Looking at that map, I actually did the longer section away from my house and back.  Well, down on my feet, back up in a car - it should be ~.5 miles, total, that I actually traveled.  Then, sitting completely stationary on the stairs in my house for the next 7.5 hours, my Garmin proceeded to rack up another mile of distance, with some of the points looking like they're across the street from my house.  I hadn't even noticed until today that this run was even uploaded, and the map amused me.

If you know how GPS works that is entirely to be expected.  There is always error in the triangulation when determining your exact position.  So, each measurement will have you in a slightly different place.  Those errors accumulate as distance.  This is part of the reason that GPS devices always measure a course long.

cmb4314

If you know how GPS works that is entirely to be expected.  There is always error in the triangulation when determining your exact position.  So, each measurement will have you in a slightly different place.  Those errors accumulate as distance.  This is part of the reason that GPS devices always measure a course long.

Yep - that's why it always amuses me when I see people thinking that a marathon course was measured wrong because they ran longer than 26.2.  Between tangents and inaccuracy, if I ran exactly 26.2 I would be likely to think that the course was short.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Me too and for every distance I would think the same.

Yep - that's why it always amuses me when I see people thinking that a marathon course was measured wrong because they ran longer than 26.2.  Between tangents and inaccuracy, if I ran exactly 26.2 I would be likely to think that the course was short.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

MA: Welcome back!

onemile: Welcome back, too!  I'm 18 out from my race, so I'll be a week behind you on the Hansons' plan.

indy: my butt is sore just thinking about 45 miles on a bike.

cmb: That is funny.  I'm also amazed that you can get a GPS signal inside your house.  I've never been able to.

Sprinkles, akalei: It was pouring here today, too, and we're supposed to get a bunch of nasty Tstorms later this evening.

Docket, RV, Cbus, Roll: Hi!

Hi to anyone else I missed.

I did about half an hour of core work today.  Lunch run and make-up post work run were both rained out; I'm fine with running in light rain, but  not in a deluge.  Marathon training starts this week.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

With respect to Garmins - my old one was so messed up for so long that I stopped finding them reliable. I have some gems in my log- including when I forgot to take my Garmin off and it measured my subway ride- it boomeranged all the way over to New Jersey. The 610 is more accurate than my old 305 for sure though.... Also, the rain - I'm over it. It was monsooning out today- so glad I didn't run in that. I'm hoping its not too atrocious tomorrow for the one hour I have 8 miles and strides.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - Wishing you good weather.

MArunner - Welcome back.  Its been some time now but you have alot to show for it.  How is motherhood and running getting along?

Doc scheduled me  for an MRI on Friday morning.  I will get out and ride before going in to get things warmed up.

Here I am up in the dark of the morning (evening for you cbus) having just finished my first pre work recovery ride.  Feels good to get up early and exercise again.  I would have enjoyed it more had I actually slept more last night.

Happy Running to all of you that can.  I look forward to sharing my running log with you after my injury and I come to terms with each other.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5-7 miles and weights tonight, some with hubby.

indiana, sorry you're still going through this.  Good luck with the MRI.

Have a great day, all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  I didn't mean to imply I was leaving, I just wasn't sure you guys would want to hear about my daily Insanity workouts!  But, if you are up for it, I will keep posting daily!  Today was day 2 of Insanity, Plyo Cardio Circuit.  It actually went really, really well...zero pain in the hip/knee, but some calf tightness on that side (I'm sure it's all related), so I wore my compression socks to work today to see if that would help.  We actually have a group of 11 people in our Facebook group doing Insanity on our same schedule so it's cool to see everyone encouraging one another!

Indy:  I hope your MRI goes well and you get good results!!

Nick:  Nice job on your half if I didn't say that.  As far as surgery, they can do an ITB release or a lengthening Z-plasty and also a bursectomy for the bursitis.  I am not quite prepared to go that far yet though.

Alkalei:  Tonia....she drives me nuts!  Those faces....just crack me up!  I hope your workout went well yesterday and your foot is better.  I remember the first time I did Insanity, I had a quite a bit of foot pain on the lateral sides of both feet...just the lateral movements and stress I think.  I got a good pair of "athletic performance shoes" with more lateral support and was good after that.

Docket:  I may go see another doctor in a couple weeks...right now, I just kinda want to let it go for a while...you know what I mean?  I feel like I am driving myself crazy thinking about it all the time.  Hope you enjoy your run and weights.

CBus:  Nice cutback week!!  I love, love, love Shaun T.  He is very motivating...in fact, I often hear him "yelling" at me in my head when I am running.  We are thinking of coming up to Columbus over 4th of July for the fireworks, zoo, and COSI.

RV:  I hadn't thought of seeing a physiatrist.  As I told Docket, I just want to relax about it for a few weeks and then maybe I will see if I can find a good one in the area.

MDawg:  Nice 4...hope your trip is great!!]

Onemile:  Welcome back!  Your pics are fantastic....I bet it was an amazing experience.  Now, get your butt out there and starting running Big grin

MA:  Welcome back.  Your son is adorable.

Roll:  Not leaving!!  Glad your challenge is going well!

Cmb:  Thanks!  I do think that is the most challenging part...it's not a definite injury with a definite course of action or recovery time, so it can drive one a little nuts.  I am glad your recovery and return to running is going well.  I am sure it is slower than you would like, but you are doing great.  I remember when DH ruptured his achilles, it was seriously a full year before he was back to "normal."

Flinders:  Don't blame for not running in the deluge!  I hope the start to your marathon cycle goes well!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

akalei

Morning, all!  Got 8 in this morning @ 8:35/mi with no pain... woohoo!  It was supposed to have 10x100m strides, I did 4 of them and as I started the 5th I could feel some "tweak" to the trouble spot in my foot (not pain, just "tweak," if that makes sense), so I decided to take it easy for the finish.  Also, yoga felt wonderful last night... tons of hip flexor stuff, like she knew I was coming.

Ami: Everytime Tonia tells me to "work it out," I want to punch her!  However, I love the one girl--Ariel or something, that when he asks her during the one first month video how she's feeling during tricep dips, she says, "I feel like sh*t!"...because I'm always thinking the exact same thing.  She's my favorite.  Also, I need to get some cross training shoes for Insanity... you know, like Shaun tells you to wear in the first place! ha... ooops!  I'll have to check up on the facebook group, but since i'm only doing it like twice a week, I won't really be following along!

Re: GPS accuracy... I remember reading an article on the GPS accuracy, or lack thereof, before.  I'll have to see if I can find it... it was an interesting read.  I like my Forerunner 10 thus far, but I'm still in the market for a HRM and keep thinking maybe I should just get a GPS that has one.  Just got mine for Christmas though, so I'd be sad to get rid of it.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, I understand.  Hope things get better for you.

akalei, nice run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Alkalei:  I invited you to our group, in case you would like to check it out!  I love both Ariels....although sometimes I think the red-headed one is a robot.  She doesn't even sweat!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Good morning!  8 miles with 12 x 400s, 400 recoveries, and 1 mile each w/u and c/d.  Ready for a little beach time and retail therapy shortly.  Have a great day!

Welcome back onemile and MA!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Akalei - Get the GPS with an HRM.  In the long run it is going to do more for you (no pun intended). I have been using a Garmin 405 w HRM that I purchased for 120 and it hasnt failed me in over 1 1/2 years of constant use.  I have a back-up 405 that I purchased for 120 and it is new and in the box if I ever need it.  Having all of the info available to you in one unit, and being able to analyze all of the data in one program is a plus.  If I purchase the bike cadence/speed adapter, I can use the 405 as a full function bike computer also.  It just makes sense to have it all available in one package IMO.

Amik - I am as interested to see how you overcome your injury as I am interested in what you will do post recovery.  Same as mdawg, cmb, myself (you get the picture).  Besides, this has become a bit more than a sub 4 advice group hasnt it?  Its almost a running, health, and fitness social IMO.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

cmb4314

Morning!

I won some CEP compression running socks (short, ankle support ones) from a RunningWarehouse Facebook contest.  Sweet.

I think it wasn't random - they asked you to write a little blurb about why you wanted them - so I think my broken ankle sob story just won me a free pair of socks.  Heh.

I also think I may finally, after 3.5 years of being unemployed/underemployed, have finally scored a permanent job.  I almost can't process it because I was starting to think it was never going to happen.  Though, the HR woman has me worried that they're going to lowball me with the salary offer, and I don't know that I want to take it if it's stupidly low.

But I am so excited for paid vacation and paid holidays.   And paid sick days.  And real health insurance.  And no more hourly wages.

I'm going to have to do something to celebrateBig grin

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, cmb!

Damaris

Fundraising Page