Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

CMB, I totally missed that it's your birthday! Happy birthday!

Docket, it's not a rumor. The Precision WILL BE discontinued after the 13, and replaced with the Wave Sayonara. But why would that prevent you from buying the Precision? I think it's a good shoe, and it doesn't become any less a good shoe just because it's being discontinued. In fact, I will probably pick up another pair when my current pair dies. Hopefully its being discontinued will lead to good deals.

I agree but I have a few friends that were considering switching their current shoes for Precisions and that's a consideration to have because they won't be making them anymore and the stock available will dwindle and die.  And what I've heard of the Sayonaras is good.  I cannot wait to try them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I think the only answer could be that she did die, but somehow came back to life.

Now I cannot get Night at The Museum 2 out of my mind. "I was dead, but now I'M BACK TO LIFE."

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Cbus - nice 8!

Cmb - happy birthday!

Nick - for marathon training 2 - 6 minutes is optimal for intervals. However longer and shorter both have benefits. Shorter is more speed and turnover focused while longer is purely endurance. I'm doing some intervals up to 15 minutes for BR100 to help me sustain a faster pace for a longer time. 

Indiana - have a good run!

Zoe - hope you had a nice 12!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Cbus....help me too. I have always run in neutral (with the excpetion of a brief trial period of some Ravenna). The Pegasus (perfect fit) stopped with the 28 and started making the 29s and i do not like them. I tried the WaveRider 15 but the heel cup seems to cause pain in my foot, after the mid foot but before the feel. Brooks' toe boxs are to narrow, new balance felt like my toes were on the cement, Asics used to mess with my arches (may need to re-visit), havent tried the Bostons from Adidas. it may be a couple of weeks before i buy again, still on the mend.

I am going nuts being without my runs or cycling!!!!!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Canuck

For those of you trying Mizunos, they generally run a half size small, so keep that in mind.  I have always worn size 9 in basically every shoe I've ever tried, including dress and casual shoes, but in Mizunos, I wear 9.5.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Ball of Fury

CBus:  I have considered it but we haven't done it yet because 1) my DH says its too damn hilly and 2) it is usually the same weekend as the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon and we do that instead (although last year I had a crazy friend who did the mini Saturday and the Pig full Sunday...talk about a Goofy Challenge!).  I do have lots of friends who run the Pig and they love it!

Zoe:  Yes on the bigger size.  I wear an 8 and I bought an 8.5 in the Wave Rider.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Cbus....help me too. I have always run in neutral (with the excpetion of a brief trial period of some Ravenna). The Pegasus (perfect fit) stopped with the 28 and started making the 29s and i do not like them. I tried the WaveRider 15 but the heel cup seems to cause pain in my foot, after the mid foot but before the feel. Brooks' toe boxs are to narrow, new balance felt like my toes were on the cement, Asics used to mess with my arches (may need to re-visit), havent tried the Bostons from Adidas. it may be a couple of weeks before i buy again, still on the mend.

I am going nuts being without my runs or cycling!!!!!

Roll, I have a hunch that the pain you are feeling in the rear of the foot is not due to the heel cup but from the torsional rigidity of the shoe. The Wave plate is very flexible from toe to heel, but it is very rigid side to side (think corrogated cardboard). The Pegasus is very neutral and very flexible not only heel to toe but side to side. The simple solution is to loosen up the lacing. If you still have the Rider 15s try loosening up the laces or switching to a parallel lacing configuration. That will take the pressures off the midfoot. You could also try the Precision. It is softer than the Rider, and therefore more similar to the Pegasus in feel (although much lower to the ground). But the Wave plate on the Precision is diagonally cut, so it's also much more flexible side to side than the Rider. But other than that, I think you are stuck, because you've basically crossed every maker off the list. But I'm actually surprised you hate the 29, since it's basically the same shoe with a different upper. Oh, you might try the Nike Zoom Elite--firmer and stiffer than the Pegasus, but it might be worth a try.

As far as whether Mizuno is true to size or not. I've always found them to be true to size. But I would just encourage anyone to try on any shoe first before purchasing.  

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Thanks all for the b-day wishes Smile 

I think the only answer could be that she did die, but somehow came back to life.

LOL.  My husband had to do it too, and I got to run on a treadmill next to him and chat for a good chunk of the run.  I watched Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy (well, sort of...the TVs are kind of far away, so I was doing my best to read them, haha).  Listened to some music.  Switched treadmills twice, so I was doing a lot of mental math for the mileage.  They kicked me off one for some personal training group, then I ended up on one that felt like I was running up a crooked hill for two miles (I thought I was losing my mind), then the one next to DH opened up so I moved again, and thank heavens this third one felt normal.  Overall, it was just kind of a surreal experience.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Nick, I am no expert, but have read some books!

The objective of running intervals is to improve VO2 max. 

(Tempos are to improve lactate threshold- stop me if I'm explaining stuff you already know, which is quite likely!)

A trained runner can sustain VO2 max pace for maybe 6-8 minutes, so the idea is to run at close to that pace for as long as reasonably possible during a session in order to provide the best stimulus for improvement. Pfitz says most marathoners will try to run for periods of 2-6 minutes, as Banshee said, then run slow jog recoveries but not long enough to let the heart rate settle too low.

So if you can run a mile in 6 minutes you would probably run 400M to 1000M sessions, with a total of 4000-6000M. (Pfitz says 5000-10000M, but he is talking about people who run 5x1200M in 3-4 minutes each, not me or you I suspect!)

French physiologist Veronique Billat recommends 30-30 and 60-60 sessions. This means take the distance you can run in 6 minutes at max effort- say 1500M, (do a time trial), then run at that pace for 30 seconds, which would be only 125 meters. This is followed by a 30 second jog at about half that pace. Since your oxygen consumption remains high for 20 seconds after the run nearly all the rest period is also contributing to the training stimulus. This is repeated until you can no longer hold the pace- you don't have to go crazy and run to the point of collapse, but don't think this is going to be a fun workout!

This is done for 4-6 weeks before switching to the  60-60 workout.

Experts like Nobby, Spaniel, Mikeymike, Tchuck etc. could give you more info.

About 8 miles at easy pace today, no crazy stuff...

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Happy birthday Cmb!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks Cbus. The 29s rubbed one of my arches really bad. Maybe it was just a random one off. Do the Adidas Boston's match up in neutral's for distance well?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus - you're the mizuno guru around here. 

Zoe/Rollcast- FWIW, I wear the same size in the Mizunos as I do in the Brooks pureflows, and the Brooks are supposed to run BIG.  For me its all about the fit in the heel.

Docket- I love that movie.

Simon- Ugh intervals.  I hate the pain that comes with them (lungs exploding) but love the sense of accomplishment.  Oh I'm gonna have to do them soon.

Me- Converting dailymile data to Garmin connect all the livelong day ICK. Tomorrow morning spin and weights, tomorrow night 4 miles outside.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Thanks Cbus. The 29s rubbed one of my arches really bad. Maybe it was just a random one off. Do the Adidas Boston's match up in neutral's for distance well?

Roll, I don't have any experience with the Boston. But Zoe has. From what I understand it's comparable to the Rider, so I'd assume it'd be suitable as an everyday trainer. 

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

cmb:  Happy birthday!

Ami:  I run in Mizuno RIders, too.  So glad you've started the process to become a convert.  Smile  I generally have found they run to size, but perhaps a men's/women's difference?  I have a pair of Precisions, too, but have only run once in them (that's because of a rough spot on one of the shoes I need to figure out a way to get rid of, not because of anything with the general model).

Sprinkles: I have all of my 2011 running log in a notebook.  As in paper.  I'm debating whether it is worth it to plug in 1100 miles of runs (all run without a watch) into the log.

Lurkers, I agree with Zoe!  Join in!

Hi to everyone else!

I did 3.5 @ 9:02 today at lunch.  At least I'm able to get something in.

Cbus:  the PF is getting better.  I'm liking the insoles.  I am using the Powersteps for now.  I have moderately high arches, so the support really helps.  I've been wearing them in normal shoes for a week, and the PF is down to a level that is present only if I've been on my feet for a long time.  I'm a bit stiff, but not painfully so, after runs.  I didn't have pain after the race I ran on Sunday, though my feet were sore (as opposed to painful) later that afternoon.  So they're helping me make progress. The PF is still tender if I poke it, but doesn't hurt if I'm just sitting there.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

Flinders, I was talking to a woman at the LRS, and she described all her past woes with PF. But she said the turning point was when her PT got her stretching and lengthening her calves. Apparently, tight calves were pulling on her plantar facia. It reminds me a lot ITBs where the cause begins higher up than the pain. But in any case, have you looked at your calves yer? Does her experience resonate with yours? She also visited a massage therapist who worked out knots in her calf, which brought immediate relief (but it was the daily work on the calves that finally got her over).