Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Rusk Runner

Well, I still think your are great.

All of ya.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Docket: People suck!  Why would they say that?  Ugh.  I want to go look but at the same time I don't.  I've quit so many forums/blogging in my life because of crap like that. Hope you had a badass run.

Josh & Banshee: Thanks! It was a good day for racing...cold but good.

Indiana: No worries, I baked cookies and ate the dough - feeling fine today - must have been a mild stomach bug.

QOTD: I stretch after every run but not before.  My legs still get tight.

I ended up not doing the double.  So only 6 for me today.  I twisted my ankle three times this week and it feels a bit wonky.  Better to rest and have a better race tomorrow, no?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Well, I still think your are great.

All of ya.

Cool

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

QOTD:  As part of my PF management program, I stretch my calves and feet, and roll my calves and AT in the morning before I get dressed and again in the evening before I go to bed.  I static stretch before and after each run and after, and roll my calves and AT after each run if I'm running from home.  If I'm running at work during lunch, I do an abbreviated stretch routine that targets my calves and hamstrings.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Ball of Fury

QOTD:  I try to stretch after every run but am not as good about it as I should be...usually because it is early in the morning and I am running late for work.  I do not stretch before runs but will sometimes stop after 1-2 miles and do some dynamic warm-up/stretch stuff.  I will say I have lost quite a bit of flexibility in the last few months as I have increased my mileage.  I am not sure if it's due to the running or due to the fact that I used to do Insanity or Asylum at least 4x/week and that includes a lot of stretching.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Sprink, Indi, Josh, and anyone else: I guess that's my question. You think I should keep fighting through it, meaning continue running sans workouts. Or do you think I should take time off. I'd take time off if I knew it would help. But I developed the ITBS while resting after my marathon. But I guess that's not quite the same. Thoughts? 

Banshee, I roll,stretch, strength exercises, NSAId, and now yoga. You name it, I'm throwing it at it. 

Josh, I do dynamic warm ups, roll, and stretch before. Roll after. And then stretch/yoga at night. 

Flinders, this might sound like a weird question. But what do you think was easier--the sub 3:50 marathon or the sub 1:40 half? 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

Cbus - I'm sure we are all different, but when I took time off for mine earlier this year, it hurt the same as soon as i started again.  That's when I went to my PT and he explained about my hip problems and it had nothing to do with my knees.  Now as long as i run with my knee straps and do my stretching, its been "manageable".  I can never run two days in a row without my straps.  Even if its feeling good i still wear them because i know ill be sorry the next day, like today.  Stupid I didn't wear them yesterday and sure enough I struggled with it today.  But in general its gradually getting better.  I used to get sharp pain that stopped me in my tracks, now its just sore and tender when it starts to flare up.  I'll even wear my strap when i'm not running if its that bad.  I'm pretty messed up flexibility wise right now.  I can usually put my hands flat on the floor when bending over, thanks to yoga, but today my finger tips are about 3 inches from the floor.  I just can't get it stretched out today.  I've been VERY tight since my marathon.

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

cbus - if it wasn't for this strap, i wouldn't be running now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Itb-Strap-Black-Size/dp/B0027VKR8A

Play the Game Hard!

Dreamn

QOTD:  I'm one of those people that can just throw on their shoes and go.  I'm not sure if flexibility has anything to do with it, but I've been told my flexibility is not normal, lol.  I might stretch after a run, but not too often.  I should do it more often.

10.5 today @ 9:20.  I'm still not clear, should I be running slower on long runs?

Rusk Runner

cbus - IMO you should try a strap as Josh mentioned.  For me, alot of speed mixed in with alot of distance is what caused me the most problems.  Last cycle when I backed off of anything, it was speed, and then I would try again when I felt better.  After each cycle each problem has gone away and I believe this is due to my body adapting to the stress.  I really dont think you should stop running as I think you can beat this by strengthining your hips and legs.  Your body will adapt eventually IMO.

Dreamn - I can only offer what authors of most plans would tell you for people around our pace ranges.  Do your long runs a minute or more slower than your GMP.  For me it usually lands around a minute to a minute and 15 seconds.  Long runs are about developing endurance, adapting to the stress of time on your feet, etc.  I do short recovery runs slower than long runs under most circumstances. Lately, I have been doing recovery runs on the treadmill at 10:00 pace (1:45 to 1:50 slower than GMP).  I have run recovery runs slower than that without a moments thought.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Josh and Indi, I'm also thinking rest won't help. I'm also wondering if my hips are a little overworked. So I skipped yoga last night. We'll see if that helps. I thought about the strap, but I've been told it doesn't really help. In fact, Josh you're the first person I've seen to find it effective.

Dreamn, it all depends on your fitness and goals. If 9:20 feels easy, and you are shooting for a 8:20-:30 GP, then that is fine. If either is no, then you should slow it down. Unless it was a workout, like a tempo or something. But I also believe it is beneficial to run at different paces. So one run at a fast ish easy pace is good. Just make sure you get other work in that easy pace range--9:45-10:15, 10:30 range. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Dreamn: I agree with Cbus and Indy.  Run your LRs at about GMP +1 to 1:30.

Cbus: On which was easier?  It depends on what you mean by "easier."  Short answer would be the sub-3:50 marathon.  However, with respect to my two PR races this fall, the conditions were such that I don't know if you can compare them directly.

I say the marathon was easier because I ran significantly below where my fitness was, thus my perceived effort was lower throughout and I was physically comfortable for most of the race.  Plus, as a city marathon, there were tons of crowds through a lot of the course that helped with general energy. As mentioned elsewhere, I had the injury in mid-July that threw off my training, so I was worried about pressing too much because I didn't know what my endurance would be. Also, my cycle mpw averaged just over 30.   I did a bunch of 16 milers, but two 20s, and both of them were meh runs.  On the plus side of the ledger, I had run the course before, which I think was invaluable, because Baltimore is a tougher course, so knowing where the hills were, and how to attack them, probably was worth a couple of minutes in the end, and the weather was perfect racing weather.  All told, I probably was in 3:35-3:40 shape, thus running a 3:46 was physically much easier.

Conversely, the half I ran was hilly (I have a single hill on most of my routes because I live on the top of it and have to run up it to get home):  there was only about a mile or two that were completely flat.  Conditions were not  ideal, either:  it was foggy and cold.  Visibility was about 50 feet, so it was difficult to judge pace or distance, and the mile markers were like traffic signals in Italy -- merely suggestions -- so I couldn't rely on my watch for pace.  Given the hills, I was hurting after two or three miles, and I was still nursing the PF, thus the run was generally unpleasant.  I also hadn't run more than 20 miles in a week since the marathon, so I probably was rusty.

If I run a flatter half, I might revise my opinion.

7.9@ 8:58 this morning.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  8 miles including the 5 mile race.  I PRd but not as big as I wanted to, but it hot, humid, and hilly.  Still, no albuterol and a 2+minute PR is great!

I agree with Cbus and indi.  And actually, I would do LRs at 1-2mm slower than MP.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

sramaley

Hello Donuts.

ind - ordered that book. Also looking to do a double weekend of October 27. run greenville sphinx marathon sat and atl marathon sun. We shall see.

QOTD - I do most of my stretching post run or bike. Use the foam roller here to. Also add in compression as well, tights or CEP socks.

cbus - yes - the running thing is recent. Really since 2011.

Docket - sorry to hear on the forum bs. We love you.

Dreamn - IMOP, depends on your effort and what you feel like the next week. If you feel ok at that pace meaning it is a conversational pace for you and you can sustain your runs the next week, then stay at that pace. If not, slow down. I like to run long runs at 9:30 to 10:00 pace with the last couple of miles at MP.

Here's my week:

M - SRD

T - 3 miles on the TM (10, 9, and 8 min paces)

W - 4 miles on the TM (10, 9, 9, 9 min paces)

Th - Upper Body Weights and core

Fri - Spin

Sat - 7.4 miles at 9:10 average pace

Sun - upper body weights and core

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus - Mostly here to answer your question... I developed ITBS in both knees in October of 2011.  It lasted through January.  I did months of PT, minimal running, I ran through it, I didn't run...nothing helped.  I found a chiropractor to do Graston and it was gone within a week - literally, no more ITBS.  I have not had an issue since.  Periodically I will go and get tuned up at the chiropractor, who also does ART, but that is it.  It was an insured treatment.  It avoided a cortisone shot, it avoided all the other drama that can go with ITBS.  My week in January where I did not run at all was during the week that I first got graston - bascially I just let it rest for three days after the treatment and then slowly started back up with running. 

I'm running late to leave the house right now so not much of an update - 5.5 miles this morning at a 10:20 pace (total recovery run).  Feeling way less sore than before I went out there.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55