Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

Well, I don't stretch.  Forgive me father.... Joking

AmiK, if you stay with the pace group until mile 20 and that is too fast of a pace, you might end up with a 4:22 or thereabouts.  Is there another race (HM preferably) that you can do closer to the race to finalize and tune up your goal pace?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Merry Xmas donuts!  Heading out to the parents house in a bit.  Will spend today and tomorrow with the family there.  Hope everyone has a great holiday and great holiday runs.

Amik:  i would not try for faster than 3:59:59 until mile 20-22.  Until you've been at that point in the marathon, you're not going to have any idea how your body will feel.  Not trying to sound negative, it's just best to be a little conservative in your first one.  I think you need to really try hard to not go out too fast.  If you do, the suck-o-meter could run high pretty quickly.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Damaris:  There are only 5Ks and trail races up here for the next few weeks.

MDawg:  Not taking it negatively at all...I am well aware that I have made many mistakes in races in the past and if I do that again, I am going to have a miserable race.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Had a real rough night last night. The most pain and discomfort ive felt in a while. And now I'm just recovering in bed all day. I'll catch up on personals later. URD for me.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indy- Thanks and I LOVE the ten commandments - #5 is my motto- cough_negative split_cough

Amik- thanks and good luck on the 24 hr shift- my worst run was the one right before I PR'ed at the philly marathon- I ran 12 miles in OVER a 10 minute pace and wanted to die.  You did better than me!  Rest up and don't get freaked out…and go out slower! I tend to go out TOO slow though.  Your training sounds good  - you run a lot more miles than I do.  I would just REST Up and eat carbs and get sleep and let the race take care of itself.   I agree with mDawg and Docket re: miles 20-22…I realized in my first marathon that I started to feel kind of crappy at those miles and changed my pacing strategy for Philly and PR'ed by 11 minutes.

Banshee- Thanks! I'm resting now!

Cbus- Oh no!  Sleep and rest, that does not sound good.

Me- 6 miles recovery pace this morning- had my left piriformis muscle seize up on me a little bit- its been twangy since my massage last week- a little concerning.  I'm taking tomorrow off and hopefully it will improve. 33 miles for the week total- I'm counting Monday as actually Sunday because Christmas being my rest day.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Oh no!  Hope you feel better.

Hey all,

Had a real rough night last night. The most pain and discomfort ive felt in a while. And now I'm just recovering in bed all day. I'll catch up on personals later. URD for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Static Guard?  What is that, what you iron shirts with?  I'm having the same problem.  It was telling me my LR was at 160HR when I felt I was going at 140.  Average ended up at 145 but the last half was supposedly close to 160 with a 169 as the high.  I would've felt it had I ran at that HR.   wonder what my problem is.

If you look at the graph of your HR and it looks like a seismograph from a San Francisco earthquake then you are probably having static electricity issues or connectivity issues.  Namely static electricity will show up as large spikes on the graph, much higher than the graph line on either side of the spike.   If however, it looks fairly smooth, then it is probably believable.

Docket_Rocket

This is my garmin entry.  My HR usually looks like the one shown here.  And it was a 20, even though it says 19.97.  The Garmin was weird at the beginning of the run and a route that I've always used and measured many times showed off by 0.03.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/254058622

Damaris

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Indi - I bought jeans that were a size too small in April.  Wore shorts all summer and go to put them on this fall and way too big.  So I've become very frugal with my clothes purchasing

Banshee - I'm up in Canada.  Everything but wood is more expensive up here and a lot significantly more.  I bought a gallon of 2% milk at Costco today for $5.20.  A good Tech running shirt at the LRS costs $59.95.  I buy as much of my stuff from runningwarehouse but wait until my parents or brothers fly up.  I have three new pairs of running shoes sitting down in Vegas right now and i'm patiently waiting for the next person to fly up so I can get them.  My adrenaline's cost my $159 up here and I get them for $110 in the states.

RVDowning - Thanks, will give that a shot tomorrow and see if it helps

Cbus - Get some rest!!

Static - I ran with my shirt off today on the TM and HR was crazy steady.  But, I attached my bose sport headphones to the strap so they weren't flying around and I kept getting shocks in my ears about every 60 seconds.  I un-clipped them and it went away.  Freaked me out.

Me - wanted 5 but ended up doing 8 very easy miles on the TM at 10:34.  HR was low and steady and I felt great so kept going for a bit, knowing I've eaten a ridiculous amount of candy the last two days.  Feeling nice and strong

Play the Game Hard!

This is my garmin entry.  My HR usually looks like the one shown here.  And it was a 20, even though it says 19.97.  The Garmin was weird at the beginning of the run and a route that I've always used and measured many times showed off by 0.03.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/254058622

It looks like you stopped (traffic light or water fountain?) a couple of times which let your heart rate drop (which corresponds to a 0 pace on the top chart), but other than that it does look a bit jumpy.  Remember that it is a bit compressed too because it is 20 miles in that small graph space as opposed to say, 5 miles.

Here is mine from a 15 this past Sunday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/253837873

I had one spike at about 2 miles, but the rest of it looks pretty normal.  Make sure the strap is snug, try spraying Static Guard on the inside of your shirt, and be sure there is some moisture (Bah Bump or at least water/saliva) between the electrodes and your skin.  (Once you start perspiring that last one won't matter.  -- it probably doesn't matter since you're in south Florida anyway.)

By the way Damaris, you shouldn't have much of a static electricity problem in southern Florida.  We get it farther north because of our real dry winters.  The problem is always worse in the dry weather than in humid weather.

Trail Monster

Ami, I forget where I read it but somehow I learned that your pace should not vary more than +/- 8 seconds from goal pace during the marathon. I picked that up after my 4:36 blow up at Baltimore where I ran a 10 minute positive split (2:13 first half, 2:23 second half). Five weeks and 6 more races later (so not in better shape and worn out completely) I ran a 4:33 PR race at Marshall by running a slower first half and aiming to even split. I ended up with a 3 minute positive split: 2:15 and then 2:18 for the halves. Knowing that I was worn out and had run way too many races in October I went out slow and purposely held back just trying to be comfortable and finish. By the time I hit miles 18-22 I really couldn't believe how good I was feeling still and finished the strongest I ever have.

Lesson: GO SLOW! It might feel like a slog or like you'll screw up your goals by going out too slow but the truth is the exact opposite!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Hi guys,

Just getting back into the flow and see I've missed tons of posts, people, and situations.  I'll try to keep up from here.  Hope each of you is healthy and happy!

I haven't run much since the marathon but did make it to the 1,000 mile mark overall.  I haven't moved an inch since and as a result have lost the fitness gained during MRT.  Time to start over!

Planning to run Columbus (full) in the fall, Pittsburgh (half) in the spring, and another half some other time.  I'm researching training plans and used the Running World "break 4-hour plan" which work well (although I missed by a couple of minutes).  I remember talk about the Hanson plan that several of you guys know well and many of you have used Pfitz 18/55.  I'm torn between the three.  I understand Pfitz to have long mid-week runs which may be hard for me to do given work schedules.  Anyone know of a web link that shows the Hanson plan that I could review?  I'm also looking for a solid HM training plan if you know of one or may take the FM plan and build my own.

Thank you in advance!

Merry Christmas!

PS - Cbus, hope you feel better with a little rest!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

One more question - how do you guys keep up with the group updates?

Do you just come to the site on a regular basis to keep up?

The 'Subscribe to this topic' sends an email, but just one.  I'd prefer the group content came to me (email, RSS), but can't seem to find a way to do that.  I'm wondering if I'm simply missing something.

Thanks again!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

This is the Hansons' plan I'm following for the Shamrock.

One more question - how do you guys keep up with the group updates?

Do you just come to the site on a regular basis to keep up?

The 'Subscribe to this topic' sends an email, but just one.  I'd prefer the group content came to me (email, RSS), but can't seem to find a way to do that.  I'm wondering if I'm simply missing something.

Thanks again!

I just click on the link in the email.  You'll only get one email until you visit the site again.  So, when you have time, click on the link and it will take you to the first such email.  You can then read to the end of the thread and you'll be caught up.   It doesn't send a journal of all unread entries since your last visit.