Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

Which is why I don't think it's static.  My runs usually look like the one you posted for you.  Maybe it's as you say (that it's too compressed since it's a 20 miler).  I just don't know what happened today because I was definitely not running at HMP and the HR corresponded to that.  The other option is that I could be getting sick but I don't think it's that either.  Bah!

Thanks for hearing my rambling.

It looks like you stopped (traffic light or water fountain?) a couple of times which let your heart rate drop (which corresponds to a 0 pace on the top chart), but other than that it does look a bit jumpy.  Remember that it is a bit compressed too because it is 20 miles in that small graph space as opposed to say, 5 miles.

Here is mine from a 15 this past Sunday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/253837873

I had one spike at about 2 miles, but the rest of it looks pretty normal.  Make sure the strap is snug, try spraying Static Guard on the inside of your shirt, and be sure there is some moisture (Bah Bump or at least water/saliva) between the electrodes and your skin.  (Once you start perspiring that last one won't matter.  -- it probably doesn't matter since you're in south Florida anyway.)

By the way Damaris, you shouldn't have much of a static electricity problem in southern Florida.  We get it farther north because of our real dry winters.  The problem is always worse in the dry weather than in humid weather.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Strider - Welcome back.  Kinda split between the middle on who's doing either Hansons or Pfitz.  Think one or two are doing a HH plan.  Many discussions on the pro's and con's.

Good discusion on the plans on the link below.

Hansons vs Pfitz

Here's the layout of the Hansons advanced plan.

Hansons Plan

Play the Game Hard!

vegefrog

Merry Christmas!!

I totally didn't get my run in yesterday...TOO many cookies to bake! I'm heading out for a 12 mile tempo run now though, so at least that's getting done Smile

Then it's time to start baking again! Smile

Hope yáll have great days and great runs!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I swear I posted here before I left.  5 miles with my running group this morning.  Now coughing up a storm from the stomach issues.  Bah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Happy Holiday's everyone.  Little brisk this morning at -17 F.  Tried a quick TM run before the craziness that is about to go on but after about 0.1 miles my body said no.  I'm not a morning runner.  So after I get the turkey and prime rib in I'll give it a shot later this afternoon after I assign someone the basting duties.

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Good morning and Merry Christmas to all!

DW has been with Fever since Sunday morning so.... had to do my eight miles on the dreadmill this morning after the presents and play.

8 miles @ 9:17 pace.  Super easy breathing, and I kept the incline at 1 deg with the exception of 2 deg for one mile.  Watched a good portion of Jerimiah Johnson while running.

Josh, I really miss having prime rib on Christmas.  I will fix a nice rare tri-tip roast tonight for me and my boy, and I am going to have Amish smoked turkey on New Years eve.  My wife bought me a beautful hand-made ceramic noodle bowl and chop sticks for Christmas.  I am eating some post run Soba as I write this.  Just enough wasabi in the broth to keep my sinuses free!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Merry Christmas Donuts! Just time for a quick hi and to say that I got in 6.3 miles, with 5 miles at 9:08/mile (GMP).  Really nice run today!  Oh and Banshee...thanks so much for the advice!  Hope everyone has a great holiday!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

sramaley

Merry Christmas donuts. 8.3 miles today in my new brooks ghost that Santa brought. Have   A happy and safe new year!

Smashy!!!

Merry Christmas,

Im feeling better today. Just in time--I've got Graston first thing in the morning. But another URD for me today.

Ami, 100% of the marathon is training. Pacing is the other 100%. I think your training has been fine, as long as you've been getting easy paced miles on the non-LR days. If everything has been a tempo-ish workout, like your LR, then you may lack endurance. But most important at this point is tapering well, and PACING. Think of the body like a car. Whether the car has a full tank of gas or one gallon, it will run the same. But the moment it runs out of gas, it shutsdown--with almost no warning signs or, if there are warning signs, they come when it's almost too late. Your body is that car, but without a gas meter. So you cannot go by feel, because whether you have one or ten gallons of gas you will feel great, and then shut down if you go faster than the gas in your tank allows. So, if it were me, I'd pick my cant live without goal, and stick to that pace until mile 20, even if that means leaving time on the field. If I felt great after 20, I'd take it up a notch. If I were really confident, I'd plan to pick it up after 18 and then 20.

Strider, you've got a great racing schedule there! As far as training plans, I'd say if the last plan worked well for you, both physically and schedule-wise, then why not just stick to it? Maybe add an additional day of running? If you are choosing between Pfitz and Hasons, I'd say the advantage of Hansons is that they don't have you run a lot per run. But the advantage of Pfitz is he doesn't have you run 6 days a week. If you can manage 6 days a week, then you might find Hansons works well for a busy work schedule, since you'd be doing a lot of runs under 2 hours. If you need days of for work, etc., then Pfitz might be better.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Merry Christmas Donuts!

Nothing to get the heart rate up today but I did get a super awesome Christmas present!

Custom drop bags for Burning River! I can't fail now can I?!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Thank you RVDowning, Josh, and Cbus on the links and your thoughts on the training plans!  I'm much more clear on the pros and cons of each.

Cbus, you raise good logic about sticking with what felt comfortable and tweaking it a bit.  I'll read a bit more and arrange a plan and get my lazy butt moving again.  Going to have to hit the dreadmill for a few months.

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 and weights tonight.

Sara, awesome Christmas present!

Striders, I am one voting for stick to what works, but for the tweaking part I would say that if you have not followed X plan the first time, I would do the plan without tweaking and then tweak for the next time around.  Too much tweaking can render a plan useless, IMO.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Good Morning Donuts!  Called in sick so I could take care of DW.  Ends up we are in the middle of a blizzard anyway.  Snow is blowing in every direction this morning and there is already a pretty good amount on the ground in most of southern Indiana.

Striders - Welcome back.  Sorry to hear that you will need to build-up again.  We are definately here for you, so get on that dreadmill and start cranking out some miles.

Banshee -  I wonder if those bags are starting to get popular.  Last September I ran an innagural half marathon in Jasper, IN and got a running hat, tech shirt, and a really nice bag w/logo like the one in your photo.  And hey...you are going to kick butt in that  race!

Sram - are the ghost 5's more plush than the 4's?  I got gift certificates for LRS and will be looking forward to a new pair of Flow 2 as soon as possible.

Will get 5 or 6 recovery miles on the mill later today.  I am dreaming of running outside after yesterday's 8 on the belt.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

I must've missed it.  Is your wife sick?  Hope she feels better.  I'm sure she appreciates you staying with her.

Good Morning Donuts!  Called in sick so I could take care of DW.  Ends up we are in the middle of a blizzard anyway.  Snow is blowing in every direction this morning and there is already a pretty good amount on the ground in most of southern Indiana.

Striders - Welcome back.  Sorry to hear that you will need to build-up again.  We are definately here for you, so get on that dreadmill and start cranking out some miles.

Banshee -  I wonder if those bags are starting to get popular.  Last September I ran an innagural half marathon in Jasper, IN and got a running hat, tech shirt, and a really nice bag w/logo like the one in your photo.  And hey...you are going to kick butt in that  race!

Sram - are the ghost 5's more plush than the 4's?  I got gift certificates for LRS and will be looking forward to a new pair of Flow 2 as soon as possible.

Will get 5 or 6 recovery miles on the mill later today.  I am dreaming of running outside after yesterday's 8 on the belt.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and I hope you did not eat as much as I did, or drink as much wine!

I got a wonderful new pair of Ron Hill tights with ventilation panels behind the knees, very comfortable to run in, but alsao LARGE amounts of chocolate and fudge. I am thinking of doing more long runs and using the candy as Gu- otherwise it won't be good!

Ami, I think you got great advice from Docket, Indi and Banshee. I have never run a marathon myself, so anything I can add is based on observation of my son's marathons and ultras.

You have done plenty of mileage to have a successful race, trust your training.

Pacing seems to be your weakness, run at a pace which seems easy for the first 20 miles. ( How many times have you read that?)

You have great speed- 2 miles in 12:20- wow! Track star! Based on this your 5k time should be much quicker, and with proper execution you should be able to break 4:00 easily.

Don't worry about a bad training run or even several, you had a good 6.3 miler since then. Make sure you taper properly and you will have a great race.

The more I hear about people having problems with HRM the less I am inclined to spend money on one. I am sure I need to train in a more organised way- but I don't think this is the right direction.

No run for me today, but December has been my best month for mileage, so that is satisfying.

Hope you are all enjoying some time off.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.