Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

Glad to hear your calf is OK.

Hi guys. Sorry I've been MIA the past few weeks.  Went on vacation and then came back and injured my calf (calf strain I believe).  Took 6 days off and got some Graston done on it and it's almost back to normal.  I missed the first couple runs on my schedule (Hansons Advanced) but now I am back on track.

Trying to catch up with what's been going on here while I was gone.  WOW!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Glad to hear your calf is OK.

Thanks D!  How's your knee?

Cbus Runner - I am glad to see you're getting Graston on your ITB! It helped me like nothing else for my ITBS.  And for my recent calf issue! I didn't realize how tight and messed up both my calves were until my chiro Grastoned them.  They feel so normal now.  It's painful but it works and works quickly.

Docket_Rocket

Bruised and scratched but painless.  Hopefully it will remain that way.

Thanks D!  How's your knee?

Cbus Runner - I am glad to see you're getting Graston on your ITB! It helped me like nothing else for my ITBS.  And for my recent calf issue! I didn't realize how tight and messed up both my calves were until my chiro Grastoned them.  They feel so normal now.  It's painful but it works and works quickly.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dreamn

AmiK, I'm doing the half at Shamrock. 8 miles today. The sleet hurts on the bare face but glad I finished before it got too icy outside.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Wow, a lot of folks getting nicked up. I hope everyone gets over their injuries and illness quickly! And if you don't get better, there's always Graston. Ithink it works on respiratory infections too Nachos! (Go Bruins on tomorrow!)

Docket, bruising? Yes. Yes there is. Did I also mention there were tears...and terror sweats.

Dreamn, why is the confidence down? WTG with that sleet faced run!

Ami, I don't know what's worse: 8 on the treadmill or 160 laps on that circle of death. I'd just go out in the snow. On a serious note, I'd be careful about running in the dark while the conditions are icy.

Strider, I just read your bio, and I didn't know you were from Columbus!

Onemile, welcome back. Yeah, the Graston hurts like hell. He did a lot of work around the bony parts of the knee, and that is where he had me writhing. I hope you are right about it working, and fast. I was able to get 24 miles in after my first session. I still felt a few twinges, but much better than where I was before Graston. Glad to hear you are back on track!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Terror sweats and tears, lol. yeah Graston is intense.  I usually end up laughing because it's so ridiculous how painful it is.  And my chiro always says "This hurts me more than it hurts you" and I say "Yeah Right!"  Shocked  But I have had it done on my ITB's, Hamstring, piriformis, behind my knee and calves and it works so well.

akalei

Hi Donuts!  I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

By the time DH and I got back into town this morning, the snow had already started, so we went to the gym and lifted legs.... I'm already sore, so tomorrow should be a real treat!  Now I'm sitting on my butt and finishing some cookies while I play with my new Forerunner 10.  I'm finally up with the times!

I know there's a sticky for goals and such, but for the sake of conversation, what are people shooting for in 2013, running/fitness wise?  I'm hoping to do a race every month, whether it's a 5K or a full.  I know lots of people do it already, but I haven't yet, in my 2 years of running.  January and February are the only ones that seem challenging to find a race in Central PA... I should have signed up for Disney!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Smashy!!!

Terror sweats and tears, lol. yeah Graston is intense.  I usually end up laughing because it's so ridiculous how painful it is.  And my chiro always says "This hurts me more than it hurts you" and I say "Yeah Right!"  Shocked  But I have had it done on my ITB's, Hamstring, piriformis, behind my knee and calves and it works so well.

Today, when the chiro was working around the knee, the pain was so intense my leg was stiffening up. At one point, he looks behind and sees my leg sticking straight up in the air, and he says something like, "Um, I'll switch tools while I let you relax." Yes, intense...to say the least.

Dreamn

Cbus, I just have no confidence in setting a goal time and trying to meet it.  I don't think I've met one time goal yet.  I know you don't always see the benefits of a training cycle during your goal race, but it would be nice to set a goal and actually achieve it, just once :-).  If I can just have one great race, I might feel a little bit more confident.  Unfortunately, I'm not really racing until March, so this self doubt will be lingering for a while.  I feel fitter and I am faster, but yet I still suck in races.

Akalei, I wanted to do Disney Princess this year, but I have too many other races to travel to, so I decided to put it off until next year.  I'm racing once a month January through May and it already feels overwhelming Big grin.  Aside from meeting a specific finish time, I'm going to try to race a 5k.  I don't think I've ever done one officially.

onemile

Today, when the chiro was working around the knee, the pain was so intense my leg was stiffening up. At one point, he looks behind and sees my leg sticking straight up in the air, and he says something like, "Um, I'll switch tools while I let you relax." Yes, intense...to say the least.

Hehe yes, my chiro tells me not to tense up. But how can you not when it's so painful??  I have another appt tomorrow to finish up on my calf and I'm thinking to ask him to do some on my left ITB too because it tends to get tight but I need to psych myself up for it.

Docket_Rocket

Note to self.  Never get ITBS.  Thank you.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Cbus, I just have no confidence in setting a goal time and trying to meet it.  I don't think I've met one time goal yet.  I know you don't always see the benefits of a training cycle during your goal race, but it would be nice to set a goal and actually achieve it, just once :-).  If I can just have one great race, I might feel a little bit more confident.  Unfortunately, I'm not really racing until March, so this self doubt will be lingering for a while.  I feel fitter and I am faster, but yet I still suck in races.

Akalei, I wanted to do Disney Princess this year, but I have too many other races to travel to, so I decided to put it off until next year.  I'm racing once a month January through May and it already feels overwhelming Big grin.  Aside from meeting a specific finish time, I'm going to try to race a 5k.  I don't think I've ever done one officially.

Dreamn, two things. 1) Shalane Flanagan has a quote that I like. She said, "if you hit all your goals, then you aren't aiming high enough." I love that. 2) try focusing not on a specific goal but on a well executed race, and let the time be a result of that execution. When I ran my PR half, I really wanted 1:45, but I knew right away that wasn't going to happen. But I also wanted to finish strong (or at least stronger than I've had in the past). Even though I came almost two minutes over my time goal, executing the race the way I wanted made it a very gratifying experience. More gratifying I think than if I had made 1:45 in a poorly executed fashion. Actually, that's my beef with my full. Not just that I missed my goal by, oh, 40 minutes. But because it was just a poorly executed race. In any case, try focus more on execution than a time--because you can control the first, but not the second.

Dreamn

Cbus, you have a never-ending arsenal of quotes Big grin! Thanks!  I agree and I need to do better on just running a good race and letting everything else come as a result.

akalei

Dreamn, +1 to what cbus said.  I ran my best 5K when a friend and I were going to "take it kind of easy."  He was timing us and we ran the first mile in 8 minutes, so we looked at each other and knew we were thinking the same thing and really kicked it in from there.  Anytime I've gotten myself worked up over an actual time goal, I've started basically hyperventilating as soon as the gun went off and never got my breathing right, thus ruining my performance.  And I want to do Princess one day SO BAD!  Maybe next year Smile

cbus, if my husband finds out I'm agreeing with a man as much as I've been agreeing with you, I'm in trouble once he finds out it's mostly just him that I nag Joking

Docket, you're right.  Never ever ever get ITBS.  Although if I had to deal with it, the end of bar prep was the best time, because stopping my study routine to run wasn't even a question.  Ugh, I shudder just thinking back to those 16 hour days.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

mdawg87

Good morning donuts!  Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday.  1 hour of stepmill intervals and stretching at the gym this morning.  Didn't do anything on the 25th (family obligations) nor on the 26th (shopping).  Felt good to get back at it this morning.  Test jog tonight with my trainer to see how the calf is.  Keep your fingers crossed.  I can still feel it a little bit so I'm thinking maybe another week.  I refuse to start running again until it's fully healed.

Onemile:  What kind of calf issue did you have?  How did the Graston help?  Was your achilles involved at all?  My achilles/soleus is still a little tight.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)