Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

White Lightning

Well, said screw it and went out to brave the conditions, been couped up for way too long.  The suns out and makes it look so much nicer than it really is.  Two pairs of long johns, one pair of running pants, two thermal shirts, one cotton long sleeve shirt, Nike Racing Elements Jacket and my LRS winter running jacket with hood, Baklava and a toque   Two pairs of running gloves and thermal socks that went up to my knees.  Keep in mind this takes me 30 minutes to get ready but that's okay, the car needs time to warm up anyway.   Went out for an easy 6, paths were cleared of snow and ice but -5 F and a light wind made it feel who knows how cold.

Started very optimistic but felt sick from the get go, like my lunch was in my throat the whole time and couldn't breath out of my nose because it wouldn't stop running.  So the easy turned into a recovery very quickly which by about mile three turned into a survival run.  Yep, I was having winter survival training flashbacks from when I was in camp as a kid.  Two miles back to my car, never thought I was going to make it.  Was trying to figure out a nice place to lay down and die.  Then realized that I run with my cell phone and it would be pretty stupid to freeze to death outside with a charged cell phone in my pocket.  So slapped myself in the head and death marched to the car.  Looked at my watch when i got back (i've been running by feel on the easy runs, flip it upside down on my rist) and finished avg of 11:06.  So wasn't as "Dramatic" as I thought it was.  I actually wasn't that cold, just felt very heavy and couldn't get a deep breath in.

Anyways, i'll catch up the three days i'm behind after a very long very hot shower to thaw out

Play the Game Hard!

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Happy birthday Banshee!

Cbus, got it.  Hope you run Columbus in the fall.

Josh, glad you’re OK.  That’s darn cold temps you’re in.

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I hope we're still considering the shirts.

I understand what you mean Docket and agree; probably best to stick with what works (both in terms of building the needed fitness and being workable with my schedule).  I admit, I’m intrigued by the challenge the 18/55 Piftz would bring and the mystery around the Hanson plan.   Hope you’re feeling better!

I appreciate the support Indi – you guys are the best!  I hope to offer support in return also.

Ami, I haven’t kept up to know the details of what’s up, but from the recent replies I see you might be worried about bad training runs and pacing.  I had exactly those issues in my first MRT.  The thing that helped me the most was to realize that each and every run is bit of a mystery until its run.  Rather than fret about the possibilities, I accepted that the experience is the most important element to focus on.  The taper weeks were all about healing and mentally relaxing.  I agree with the others, pace easy until late and then go.  My issue was that I didn’t keep an eye on my total time at around mile 20 to implement a strategy (probably due to mental fatigue at the time).  Good luck as you progress!

Cbus, glad you’re better from the virus; you’ve been dealing with some injuries – I hope things straighten out soon and you get the training consistency you want.  Graston is a new word in my world, going to check it out.  Yep, born in India, but lived most of my life in Columbus before the world tour started.  BTW, I want to hit 1:45 for my next half and remember your last half was 1:46 – did you follow a plan designed for a half?  I haven’t looked hard enough but want to build one to get me focused.  I know part of the plan includes sucking life forces from little kids, but miles/paces would help.  Smile

Nachos, I hear ya on the weight gain!  Josh, the temperatures you mention are making me shiver in my warm house.

Did we give up on the Donut shirts or did I just miss it during my absence?  And did we lose Snow during the transition from RW to RA?  I haven’t seen a post from her.

My annual total is 1,000 miles (exactly, not by chance, I turned off the treadmill when I reached it) and I’m somehow motivated to keep it at the round number with the few days left this year.  How deeply unmotivated am I to restart?  Yikes!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

akalei

Happy birthday, Banshee!

Decided on hot vinyasa tonight in lieu of running in the cold and wind.  I'll deal with the cold in the morning, and I'm really excited for yoga.

I'm up for shirts!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

Had to edit my schedule due to all the sick people in my house.  Took DW, DD, and DS to doctor today and then off to WalMart to buy drugs for all.   Its laughable really, but I am just dealing with it and playing servant to all. Took awhile to dig a path through the snow for the van to get out.  We got about 10 inches here during the blizzard.   So as far as the rescheduling;

moved today's 10 mile to Friday, Saturdays 4 to today, and I will probably run a short recovery Saturday morning just because I cant stand not to run on Saturday morning.  Sunday's 15 stands as scheduled.

Did 6 miles on the mill tonight, 9:11 pace, 1 deg incline w/ 1600@4 deg incline, 800@5 deg incline, 400@6 deg incline, and 400@7 deg incline.

Banshee -  Happy Birthday!!!!

Josh - I am sorry Buddy, but you had me LOL with your dressing and running description!  Glad you got outside though.  One of the reasons I had to change my schedule was because I knew there was no friggin way I was doing 10 miles on the dreadmill tonight.  13 was enough and I added 6 tonight.  I have got to get outside buddy!

Strider - You have to get out on New Years day and get some miles in.  Start the year off on the run!

I havent seen Snow do any posts on RWOL or anywhere else.  Will miss her personality.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

Amik - Plus 1 to what Cbus says.  Missing a run in taper aint no biggy at all.  No mileage you can do in taper is going to help your race.  Get healthy and keep your stress levels down.  Take some of the down time to visualize yourself maintaining your planned pace in the beginning miles, and how strong you are going to finish in the last 10K.  Honestly, the visualization is very important!  Run the race over and over in your head, and run it right, everytime.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Bought the Launch

And want to give them a spin but.....

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Canuck

Evening all. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Indiana, sorry to hear about the sick family - hopefully it won't get you.

I've been doing holiday stuff, so haven't done much running the last week and a half and also haven't been on the Internet much either. Did get in 9 miles today though, plus some personal training.

Happy Birthday Banshee.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Docket_Rocket

I said it in FB but now again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BANSHEE!

Rollcast, I heard the Launch was discontinued and so many people protested they brought it back.  I just bought a pair for cheap and I was surprised when I liked them.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

Banshee - I just looked on the grastontechnique.com website. And then picked the one that was covered by my insurance.  I had read about the magic of Graston on the internet and was desperate for something to help my ITBS so I tried it.

Cbusrunner- I know in the book they do make it sound like you should use their pace and then adjust as needed.  For me, my shorter races would give me around 8:30 for MP which I know is too optimistic.  I am thinking 8:45-8:50 sounds better.  But I wonder if I'm better off training with the 8:30?  And yes, I'm a girl Blush

I got more graston on both calves tonight and had him do my left ITB too, which was surprisingly not bad.  Everything felt good on my run tonight... 8 miles done

onemile

Oh and happy birthday Banshee!!

And love the shoes Rollcast!

Thanks lady onemile.

Drocket- the guy at LRS explained that same thing to me. Maybe a running sign.

Banshee - happy birthday

josh- bro, you get tons off extra credit for the effort alone not to mention to actual run. I can't help but picture the little brother from the movie "Christmas Story" when he has to many clothes on and gets stuck in the snow.

indi- taking care of people is good soul

Alkaei- is hot vinyasa like bikram? Guess I could google it

despite the rainy pic, I couldn't not run again tonight so I busted a quick 5.23 but in an old pair of Pegasus. Felt great, toe was a non issue.

Dreamn

Happy birthday, Banshee!

-21F makes me stop complaining about 26F.  But I'm still counting down the days until spring!

8.5 today, I was hoping to make it 10 but the wind had other plans, so I called it quits a little early.

Happy birthday, Banshee!

-21F makes me stop complaining about 26F.  But I'm still counting down the days until spring!

8.5 today, I was hoping to make it 10 but the wind had other plans, so I called it quits a little early.

Wind should be outlawed while we run. ; )