Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Trail Monster

OneMile and Cbus, I'm not exactly the best one to give advice but training for my 6th marathon has given me the ability to know that I have no idea what I'm actually capable of running. I went from 5:49 to 4:49 (WOAH!) to 4:33 over 18 months. I expect its going to get harder to get better now but I also haven't ever had higher mileage or routine speedwork. I figure higher mileage plus speed work over the next few months means I'm going to have to run a tune up half to know what to target at Shamrock. It really is okay to guesstimate your MP for the first part of your cycle and then refine your plan based on how well your training goes.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!

Happy Birthday Banshee!

Yesterday was a rest day.  I plan on running 4 or 5 today during lunch.

Cbus - Not sure if you caught last night's game (I hope not) but it was a miserable experience.  We got destroyed in all phases of the game.  Plus it was cold and the beers were $11.  Ended up leaving at the end of the 3rd quarter.  Came home to a bit of a surprise.  Opened the door and my wife's asleep on the couch next to a positive pregnancy test.  Looks like number 2 for us is on the way.  Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Well, Donuts...I am guessing my body has decided that taper means to just stop running!  I tried to run this afternoon, but couldn't get more than 1/4 mile...my right hip and knee are just too painful.  So, I guess today is another URD...ugh!  I am starting to panic a little bit!  I know it will be ok but seriously, I haven't taken 2 days off in a row in months!

Nachos:  Congratulations!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Congratulations Nachos!

Strider, you're from India? then you must know Bob Smith- short guy, plays guitar?  Kidding you- this often happens to me when I mention I lived in Africa until the age of 20. Like India, Africa is a big place, and nearly a billion people live there- oh well!

Ami, rest up, getting healthy is way more important than more miles. WAY more.

Cbus thanks for the insight into various training plans, I always like to know why I am supposed to do something as well as what I am supposed to do.

I may hit 200kms for December, which is not important but would be nice.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Nachos - Congratulations!

Everyone - Thanks for the well-wishes re: back issues.

Cbus- It hurts all the time, but the one-leg stance is the worst for the SI joint, so spinning is a better option.

Me - I'm annoyed.  My AST levels were up after the marathon and as expected, I had an MRI and everything came back negative.  Unfortunately the AST levels are still elevated, my K+ is low, Iron is low, and the like, meaning...I am supposed to take off until January 11 and then have my blood re-drawn.  And by "off" he means...no exercise at all.  Basically, I do not think I am capable of following this suggestion.  Something tells me I would be stuck on a novice plan if I quit base building this early in the game...I was only at 35 again.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

nachosgrande

Thanks for the kind wishes, guys!

Sprinkles - sorry to hear about the injury issues.  If you take the next couple of weeks off, I doubt you'd lose much fitness.  Hope you're healed up soon.

Ami - Like Simon says, just get healthy - that's what the taper's for.

Simon - Nice month of running you put in there.  I've probably barely run 50km in Dec.

Banshee - That really is great improvement in 18 months.

I snuck in another 5.3 mi during lunch in a little under 39 mins.  I've been seeing a big improvement in my heart rate over the last two weeks during these tempoish runs.  Going to continue these shorter runs for the next couple of weeks and then start rebuilding base in mid-January.

Docket_Rocket

The only important thing is to get you healthy to Disney.  You've done your work and all you need is that.  So rest!

Well, Donuts...I am guessing my body has decided that taper means to just stop running!  I tried to run this afternoon, but couldn't get more than 1/4 mile...my right hip and knee are just too painful.  So, I guess today is another URD...ugh!  I am starting to panic a little bit!  I know it will be ok but seriously, I haven't taken 2 days off in a row in months!

Nachos:  Congratulations!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear that.  :-(

Nachos - Congratulations!

Everyone - Thanks for the well-wishes re: back issues.

Cbus- It hurts all the time, but the one-leg stance is the worst for the SI joint, so spinning is a better option.

Me - I'm annoyed.  My AST levels were up after the marathon and as expected, I had an MRI and everything came back negative.  Unfortunately the AST levels are still elevated, my K+ is low, Iron is low, and the like, meaning...I am supposed to take off until January 11 and then have my blood re-drawn.  And by "off" he means...no exercise at all.  Basically, I do not think I am capable of following this suggestion.  Something tells me I would be stuck on a novice plan if I quit base building this early in the game...I was only at 35 again.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Cbus - That more or less clears it up i guess.  So in theory, if you can successfully hit all paces during 18 weeks of training you should be able to hit that particular MP goal?

Me - 7 TM miles with 4 @ 9:09.  Bit more effort on this run compared to the same workout last week.  What a roller coaster this running thing is.

Has anyone heard about or run the Santa Barbara marathon?  Seems flat enough, decent price, lots of water stops and 1350 ran it last year.  I'm looking at my Fall options for something that is driving distance from Las Vegas so I only need one hotel night and a couple tanks of fuel.  I leave for Hawaii November 15th and I have work until November 1st so leaves very few choices in between.  I was thinking of maybe flying to Toronto for Oct 20th but by the time I pay for plane tickets, transportation and hotel room, turns out to be a very expensive marathon.  Think i'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on that one

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like a nice destination for a marathon.  I've never heard of anybody that has run it, though.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Nice new kix Roll.  I would like to hear a good review from you after you get them on the road for a few miles (if it ever stops raining). 

Well my plan was to put 7 or 8 miles on them tonight but my bride was in major need of a bikram yoga session after being with a 5, 7, and a 9 yr old for the past week and half. So, if I can't go for distance I sometimes trade for time (fast miles). After 2 miles at 7:30 I can tell you that I am impressed so far. Stay tuned for the more measurable 6 to 9 mile distances. I do like the way they feel. Maybe my imagination but they seem to turnover quicker than the Pegasus. I figured out the toe box issue by stepping up a half size (duh, right?). The upper seems even a little more sock like than the uppers that I am used to with the Pegasus. Early to tell but at least one thumb is up right now (get your mind outta the gutter people).

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Josh - I have heard fun stuff about Santa Barbara as a place but nothing about the race. Google top 20 marathons in the USA and see if its on there. I thought I read about it somewhere.

ap4

I would skip it.  I ran it last year and it was hillier than advertised.  The hill at mile 23 is absolutely brutal.  More importantly, it is still a very small marathon with organizational difficulties.  This past year I heard of ppl arriving on time for the shuttle, and then being dropped off a couple of miles from  the start line, running out of water at the aid stations.  The expo was pretty small and unimpressive as was the end of race treats and festivities.  On the bright side, the weather was really nice.  Cold start about 40 degrees warming to the low 60's by finish.  I could see running it if it were local, but definitely not a destination marathon.  If it's not too early, you can look at Long Beach on Oct 13.  It's a bigger marathon, but much better organized.

Has anyone heard about or run the Santa Barbara marathon?  Seems flat enough, decent price, lots of water stops and 1350 ran it last year.  I'm looking at my Fall options for something that is driving distance from Las Vegas so I only need one hotel night and a couple tanks of fuel.  I leave for Hawaii November 15th and I have work until November 1st so leaves very few choices in between.  I was thinking of maybe flying to Toronto for Oct 20th but by the time I pay for plane tickets, transportation and hotel room, turns out to be a very expensive marathon.  Think i'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on that one

Smashy!!!

Ami, the madness has set in. Just remember, its all normal. Focus on getting healthy.

Sprinkles, that sucks! I hope it turns out to be nothing. Focus on getting this resolved, then tackle MRT later.

Nachos, it's really good to see you getting miles in and healthy.

Josh, you got it, regarding Hansons. As for Santa Barbara. Flat? No way. It's wine country for goodness sake. Almost nothing but hills. Even the parts on the coast are fairly hilly, if memory serves.

Welcome Ap4.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Dreamm - here's our wind again