Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Ball of Fury

REST!  And I wonder whether the Pure Flows had something to do with the ITB. When I used to run in the Pure Cadence, my IT was always sore.

I hope not because I really like them.  I have only been running in them once or twice a week for short runs.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

The weather down here is not cold (hot and humid still) and humidity is my second worst trigger.  I have both allergy induced and exercise induced asthma.  The allergy induced took a year to work itself out and I think I'm not as bad as I used to.  But there is nothing you can do about exercise induced but work through it, no?

I ended my year at about 865 miles, second lowest total ever,  but at least December was a good month.

13.5 miles yesterday around 9:30 pace, main roads clear but sideroads covered with packed snow.

Nachos I also like the Pure Connect- almost bought a pair yesterday but chose the New Balance Minimus as I wanted something really light for running intervals and 5k races. I am not used to no padding and no drop so will take it very easy. They are INCREDIBLY light and comfortable, but may not be durable for a somewhat heavier runner like me, we will see.

Docket, I don't know if your asthma is partially exercise induced, my wife has problems with cold weather, any exertion in cold air and she must use her puffer. No long term solution I guess. Glad to hear you had a good run.

Sprinkles, Ami and Indi, take care of yourselves!

Josh, that looks like a wonderful course, (Banff I mean), we certainly don't get that kind of scenery in Ontario- or your winters!

I spoke to my daughter over the holiday break, she lives in Zimbabwe in Africa, on a 130,000 acre game reserve. She said the temperature was 110 degrees F and the swimming pool as warm as pee. She used to be a top level cyclist but now does a bit of running in the gym, both the heat and leopards and lions make it unwise to run outside. Quite a different way of life!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Don't know why but I double post...Twice today!  I need coffee.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Morning donuts! 5k at 3PM today. It's heavily German-immigrant descendent populated around here so this 5k ends right around 11PM in Germany and then at the end of the awards ceremony they do a ball drop and big celebration if the new year arriving in Germany. After that all the bars open up and serve German beer and food. Lots of fun! Also going to be 32 degrees with 20MPH winds so my PR chances may not be good.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

akalei

Hi Donuts!

I'm with CBus on starting the new year fresh.  Of course, for me, it's more of eating everything I know I'll feel bad about come Jan. 1. Smile Johnson's popcorn (if you've ever been to OCNJ, you should know what this stuff is.. UH-MAZING), Mack and Manco's pizza, and Chinese food... my body hates me.  Although in retrospect, that's really been the extent of it.  Maybe not that awful after all.  Makes you wonder how the other half lives--or maybe I should say the other 2/3 of America.  Blah.

Josh-I hope you're feeling better.  The TM has messed me up on occasion, too.  So don't fret just yet.

Heading out for 6 miles today, hopefully... as long as my trail is cleared of snow for the most part.  DH and I decided that, since we couldn't do our long run yesterday, we're going to start the new year with 12 miles tomorrow.  Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Also, I just signed up for Wineglass in October... woohoo!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

That sounds like a great race!  Enjoy.

Morning donuts! 5k at 3PM today. It's heavily German-immigrant descendent populated around here so this 5k ends right around 11PM in Germany and then at the end of the awards ceremony they do a ball drop and big celebration if the new year arriving in Germany. After that all the bars open up and serve German beer and food. Lots of fun! Also going to be 32 degrees with 20MPH winds so my PR chances may not be good.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

nachosgrande

Good luck,  Banshee!  Sounds fun!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 4.95 this morning at around a 10:21 pace. The roads are still icy, so it was hard to get any rhythm going. On the bright side, I think the Graston has totally healed the ITBS on the left side. I've had it on the right for much longer, so even though it's much better, I think it's slow coming. The true test will be this week, as I'm going to try and get 40 in. Josh, I might be nagging you to get Graston done very soon...

If Chuck is so tough, I wonder if he's done Graston? DTF, can you look that one up?

Ami, I'm almost certain the ankle had to do with the tights. I think by the time you loosened them up, the damage was already done. I'm pretty sure by next run, it'll be totally gone--just make sure you keep the tights loose around the ankle. As for the taper madness? I'm afraid your case is full blown, so there's not much that can be done at this point, except to hang in there!

Banshee,have fun!

Akalei, I think it's about time you get an avatar, New Year and all...

Speaking of avatars, I've been meaning to ask: Ami, are you kneeling by a tombstone in a cemetery in you avatar?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I second the request, akelei.

Hey all,

Got in 4.95 this morning at around a 10:21 pace. The roads are still icy, so it was hard to get any rhythm going. On the bright side, I think the Graston has totally healed the ITBS on the left side. I've had it on the right for much longer, so even though it's much better, I think it's slow coming. The true test will be this week, as I'm going to try and get 40 in. Josh, I might be nagging you to get Graston done very soon...

If Chuck is so tough, I wonder if he's done Graston? DTF, can you look that one up?

Ami, I'm almost certain the ankle had to do with the tights. I think by the time you loosened them up, the damage was already done. I'm pretty sure by next run, it'll be totally gone--just make sure you keep the tights loose around the ankle. As for the taper madness? I'm afraid your case is full blown, so there's not much that can be done at this point, except to hang in there!

Banshee,have fun!

Akalei, I think it's about time you get an avatar, New Year and all...

Damaris

Fundraising Page

akalei

Done! Smile

I second the request, akelei.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Happy New Years Eve donuts!

I have enjoyed the conversations and info (Cbus is the shoe guru) and am excited about seeing 2013 from running shoes. Still no sign of Sram?

PLEASE BE SAFE. I am a huge believer in a DD. You dont want to start the year off with a vehicular murder charge.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

Rollcast:  I read somewhere that AAA is offering everyone (don't even have to be a member) a free ride AND a tow for your car tonight...there is NO reason anyone should be driving drunk tonight!

CBus:  You know, you might be right about the tights...that is what it felt like but when I adjusted, it still hurt.  But, maybe you are right and the damage was done...it feels perfectly normal today.  In my avatar, I am in the backyard and that is a Spartan Head carved into a log.  That is the award I received for placing 3rd for females in the Indiana Spartan Race this year!  As far as my taper madness, um yeah....it's not good Smile

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Congratulations Nachos!

Sprinkles, Indi, Docket, AmiK, hope you’re better soon.

Simon, late reply, but so true!  Smile

Hi AP4 and the regular crew.

Admire the dedication you guys put into running year around.  Now that 2012 is about over, I’m getting ready to start jogging and getting back in shape.

Happy new year to each of you!  2013 will be full of fun and healthy steps!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei : Yay Wineglass!

Ami: Sometimes the IT band just decides to hurt- I have tried to find endless explanations for why mine was awful last year at this time and is fine this year, and I find none.  Chiro / Graston was the only thing that worked for me.

Docket: Hope the asthma stays as bay- I have EIA and AIA as well - going thru allergy shots now but hating the idea of spring.  The EIA has been, knock on wood, much better.

Me: 90 minutes of spin this morning; 4 mile recovery run yesterday- clearly I don't know how to listen to doctors- I feel physically fine and my GP agrees that this is much ado about nothing.  The low potassium levels are actually more concerning than my strange liver values (which have apparently always been high).  I'l take a few days off before the next blood test, but I'm not going to be a couch potato in the interim.

Training starts on 1/13.  I'm still deciding between Intermediate 2 and Pfitz.  I want to do Pfitz but I'm a bit worried that I can' thandle it.  Note that the back injury was not overuse- it was caused by stepping funny.  It's much better now.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Cbus- I'm pretty sure that Chuck Norris is so tough that when he gets Graston, it tickles.  hehe.  Glad that it's helping you.  It's done wonders for me!

Amik - hope it's just taper madness!!

Banshee - how did the 5k go?

Rollcast - Happy NY to you too!

Strider - don't you run year round?

Sprinkles - graston/chiro is the only thing that helped my ITBS too.  Picking a plan is tough.  I did Intermediate II with some added mileage and it was fine. I like that Pfitz has speedwork. I haven't tried him yet though. Opted for Hansons this time around.

Got in 7.22 miles to get to exactly 2000 for the year.  Cold and miserable but I got it done.  Whew.  First speedwork of marathon training is on my schedule for tomorrow. Wish me luck.