Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Canuck

Morning all. 

Banshee, I can see you.  I don't always get to everyone on shout-outs though, since I post in PST and there are usually lots of posts when I get here.  Sorry!

9 miles for me last night in the rain.  Something between 6 and 9 tonight depending on how much time I have. 

Welcome Simon.  I'm also Canadian, from Vancouver.  As you'll see by my PRs, a 1:45 half is definitely enough for a sub-4 marathon.  With that time and a solid training cycle, you'll probably be able to shoot for something in the 3:45 - 3:50 range. 

One Mile - no need to run much this week then!  Your team will be fine without your miles. Big grin

Cbus - definitely stretch your glutes and hips, tightness there is the cause of so many problems.  I like the pigeon pose from yoga, that really gets a nice deep stretch.  Also, roll your glutes with a ball - I use a trigger point ball, but a tennis ball will do as well.  You'll be amazed at the knots that the larger grid roller cannot find.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

onemile

Mdawg!  You're starting Hansons 2 weeks before I start.  Glad to hear the first workout went well! Do you use RA for a log?  If so, you should switch it to open so I can stalk your progress Smile  Oh and I only run in the evenings.  It sucks now that it's dark but I leave for work at 6:30am as it is so I don't care to get up at 4am to run.

Rollcast - It's a tough decision to make to defer a race. I've had to do it before Sad

Nick - nice job on the 4! And awesome temps!

Banshee - nice speedwork, are you using a schedule?

Belrunner - I usually take a vacation from running when I travel.  So no help there.

cmb - hi - sounds like sub-4 is a good possibility for you!

Trail Monster

Thanks all! I understand we don't all get to every personal! I just wondered if I accidentally clicked a hide box or something!

zoe - nice miles! I'm only averaging like 6 per day right now. Getting up to your range on a daily basis is a little scary!

onemile - I'm working with another ultra runner and my CrossFit coach to plan each week out. I'm doing shorter repeats, longer steady state runs, and trail runs or roads with lots of hills for my long runs so I can get ready for 2013's schedule. It's weird trying to improve speed and endurance at the same time but I need to do both to PR at Shamrock plus be ready for 100 miles in July.

I can't see the last page so I'll have to add another post for the rest of the personals!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

cbus - thanks!

cmb - welcome! When is NO marathon? Sounds like a great plan with the overall mileage so far!

pux - Some days I wish for invisibility. However, I would prefer it not be here since no one else wants to hear about all the running drivel!

Off to work second shift now all! Hope you have a great evening!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

SimonR - the 10k was the last tune up race of the Pfitz schedule 2 weeks before the Marathon, and the Half Marathon was the first half of the Full. (which obviously indicates I went out too fast, resulting in that 12 min positive split)

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

sramaley

Afternoon Donuts. Welcome to the new Donuts.

Way to hang in there Docket. Tough race.

Sorry to hear Roll. Turf toe is a bugger to deal with.

Just weights today. May jog later with my son in the stroller.

For running while traveling, I use gyms or look up runs in the area on mapmyrun to see what others have done. Never run on roads without sidewalks....just to many crazies. Also use cross training to substitute for running. Good suggestion to call running stores.

Rusk Runner

Good lord, I had forgotten there was such a thing as a sidewalk.  I have run one exactly one sidewalk during training and it can only be done on days that I run more than 20 miles.  On my road I run right square in the middle and listen for cars.  I am mostly still worried about getting hit at two or three in the morning. Or shot for that matter.

Hey cbus, take a look at the map of my 15 mile run last week and you will see why I dont mind the occasional hill here and there.  When I run some longer runs you will laugh at the elevation profiles. 

Update:  I used the map a couarse feature and saved my running courses (that is so cool we can do that).

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

welcome aboard cmb

Banshee, all good.

Travel runs are a challenge for me as well. X2 on what Sram said and add that some universities have easy and free parks/trails to run.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I signed up for Wineglass yesterday.  I was choosing between Wineglass and Steamtown.  My understanding is that Steamtown is a bigger quad pounding, but really I made the choice entirely based on the fact that I have a wedding the day of Steamtown that I was just invited to.  I enjoyed the half this past year and think that although the course is somewhat boring, they treat the runners really well, its good temps that time of year on average, and I have no complaints at all.

Roll- hope your toe gets better...I googled that...does not look fun.

me - 4 miles of hills on my lunch break, somewhere between a 9:50-8:50 pace.  Calves are a little sore lately, probably from lack of training.  Spin and weights yesterday.  Needless to say, i am not exactly one of those ppl who can work out at lunchtime and come back looking "cute."  hot mess is more my style. 

Here's me running Philly - I'm in the blue singlet.  I think this is Mile 25.

Philly

philly

I wish that clock was accurate, but I started way back. - 22 minutes back actually.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Sprinkles you look pretty cheerful for mile 25! Most people look awful by that stage.

Onemile and Zoekat, I would really like to push for 3:45, that would give me a BQ by 10 minutes as I am 62 in February- but I cannot set a goal till I see how my training goes.

Banshee, my son is signed up and training hard for Sulphur Springs 100 in Dundas Ontario in May. I am interested in hearing about your training as it is his first long trail run, and incredibly hilly.

Got it, Nick, that makes sense! Pretty quick 10k, did you feel it might have been to close to the marathon maybe, or did you feel recovered?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Simon- There are a few where I don't look as cheery Smile I was having a great race though and running a 4 minute negative split at that point, so it was definitely a little road race party in my head going on.   A 100m race- wow.  I've read some books about ultrarunners and I am impressed.  Sounds like our time goals are similar, although I won't be qualifying for Boston!  Cheers.

MA runner girl

Hey Donuts! Smile I found ya'll! I'm glad I can go back to lurking now.

For those who don't know me, I was posting regularly through most of the year, and training for Chicago. I was about 6 weeks into my training plan when I found out I was pregnant. I tried to keep training with just easy miles but decided to stop and just run for fun when first tri fatigue and nausea set in. Now I'm 24w (yikes!) and still running around 15 mpw. Ran 17 last week actually! My LR is only 6 miles at this point but I feel really good and I'm glad that I'm just getting out there still.

I'll go back to lurking, just wanted to post since I "joined" the group. GOOD LUCK to everyone in thier sub-4 quests. I hope to try for another sub-4 attempt in Spring or Fall 2014. Soo far away...

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, +1 to Simon's comment about your race pics. They're awesome! Who or what are the whippets (I mean, I know they are a breed of dog--I'm talking about the one you are representing)? Are you part of some other Sub-4 Thread that you are not telling us about? Should we be jealous? (Oh yeah, almost forgot: it looks like you wore your trusty Nirvanas!)

eDIT: I just read your bio, and wow, you ran a lot of races in 2012! Almost as many as Docket. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- the Whippets is a club team in NYC.  I joined around March in hopes to get group runs in after work in the dark.  I'm actually still unable to make practice mot of the time, but I wear my jersey during most local races and ones where I feel like I can do a good job representing.  This spring I hope to make at least a few more of the practices now that I can hang a little better.  Some of the team members ran sub-3 in Philly (men) and nearly all the women BQ'd.  I've still got work to do.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Also, do not plan on racing that often this year.  I've noticed better performances (and less injuries) from more intensive training than I do from consistent racing.