Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

sramaley

Sprinkles - cute pic. You ran that well, so understand the smile on your face.

Ind - can't imagine running down the middle of the road...It would be me and the coyotes at the time you run...

Pic import is not working for me...so will post some later.

sramaley

Are you guys getting the URL link page when trying to import a picture?

White Lightning

cmb – Welcome and good luck with NO.

Indiana - Sidewalks hurt me, but I purposely run about 1/2 a mile out of my 5 miles loop on them just to make sure I have no surprises during a race.  Otherwise I do almost the same thing.  I hug the middle but on the oncoming traffic side.  And forgot to mention, used the Slim Pocket Race Number Fuel Belt for the race and it was awesome.  

Sprinkles – Nice pics.  I wish mine were as spectacular.  Mine on the page before was my best, lol

Simon – Another Canadian here, from Calgary

Me – I just signed up for my May marathon in Calgary.  I’d like to re-read which ever I decide on, Higdon, Pfitz or Hanson.  I will be doing more than usual treadmill running through the cycle because of winter.  I have a half scheduled 8 weeks before the full.  I did a modified HH Int I last cycle, added more miles in the middle of the week.  So, my question, what plan do you think I should follow?  Pro’s and Con’s?

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

Sra - Not seeing anything.  I couldn't get it to work either so I just put my picture up on imgur.com and linked to that.

Play the Game Hard!

Dreamn

Nice pics, Sprinkles.  I (expectedly) look  like death in all of my Philly pictures.  We crossed around the clock time because it read 4:17 something when I finished.  Although you obviously finished faster than me.

Speaking of Hanson, has anyone used their method or plans for a marathon?  If so, how did it work out?  Cbus, you seem to be a fan of them.  I'm in the middle of reading the book now.

Simon, welcome!  Ironically, I was browsing the board and came across your sub 1:40 half thread from a few years ago and it ended with you making it!

5 easy miles yesterday.  It's not as warm today, but still nice running weather, so I'm looking forward to an evening run.

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Sorry I missed posting yesterday...long day at work.  I ended up having to take an extra rest day, which I almost never do, but between the damn blister (which has been drained and is looking better) and my entire left leg feeling miserably tight, I decided to be cautious.  Just don't want to get injured right before the race.  Felt much better this morning and got in 6 easy miles before work, with average around 9:55-10 min/mile.  It has cooled off again up here but was 41 at 4 AM which is perfect!  Did anyone else have trouble with their avatar pic?  I added one and its still not showing up?

Josh:  I have yet to complete my first marathon so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I am using HH Int 2 for this one and plan to use PFitz for my next.

Banshee:  Sounds like  you have a great training plan!  How long have you been doing Crossfit?  I really want to add it to my regimen and our gym started a great  program, but for DH and I, it would be $150/month on top of the $120 we already pay.  We do a lot of Obstacle Course Racing, though, and I think it would be great training.

JagFan:  I am too scared at 4 AM NOT to run on the sidewalk.  As is, I sometimes get nervous running by myself at that hour.  It's kinda funny because almost every morning, I see the same person out walking very slowly, all bundled up, and every morning, I become convinced he/she (can't even tell which) is going to kidnap me Joking.  I am thinking of making Monumental my fall race....which I hope to BQ but  I suppose I should run my first marathon before setting such a goal!

Sprinkles:  4 miles of hill work....awesome workout!   And I have to agree, you look quite adorable at mile 25.  I tend to look horrible in all my race pics so can't imagine what I am gonna look like at mile 25 in January!

MA runner:  Congrats on your pregnancy!!  Good for you to continue running.

Roll:  Sorry to hear about the toe...injuries just suck!

Bell:  Good luck with PFitz!  Let me know how you like it because I hope to use it for  my next marathon and our pr's are fairly similar, although your HM is a bit faster.  

CMB:  Welcome!  I am new here as well.  Good luck with NO...is that in February?

CBus:  Are you proud...I ran slowly today!!  Have you tried yoga to increase  your flexibility?

Docket:  Again great job on the marathon in tough conditions this weekend!!  Hope to get to meet you in January!

MDawg:  Sounds like a great speedwork session!  

Hope I didn't miss anyone since I missed an entire day...tried to catch up.  Have a great day Donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

You'll need to post a picture link from a place like facebook (once you find the jpg link), photobucket, etc.

Morning!  3-5 mile recovery run tonight.  Wish me luck!

I also spent 11 hours at work yesterday writing a brief.  Ay, ay, ay.

And bring me some donuts!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Sprinkles your race pics are much better than mine!

Simon, I don't know that 100. I will have to look it up.

Joshlynn, what's your background again? How many marathons? MPW average (last 10 weeks)? Etc? I had good results with HH Int 2. Went from 4:49 to 4:36 and then 4:33 a few weeks later.

Dreamn, I would like to look over a Hanson plan. I just don't know where to find them!

Ami, I've been doing CF on and off for like 2 years. I go a lot when I have time and not at all when work is too busy. I also bought a bar, plates, and some kettlebells, etc so I can WOD at home. I feel like it has improved my running.

MA, stick around! I tried to run with my last baby but quit around 15 weeks. You're doing great!

me: steady state run on the schedule today and then working second shift again. I'm also supposed to lift/core today but I don't want to be totally dead for work. Being on my feet all night yesterday was miserable after speed work. Maybe I'll take a chair or something today. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Got 6 on tap today. 

Josh, I love your LV pic! I vote for either one of the higher mileage Higdon plans or Hansons. Pfitz is, for me, too purposeless. When I look at his periodizations, it doesn't seem like there is enough differentiation, so Endurance and LT look exactly the same. And then he throws in a 7 mile tempo run at HM pace, which I think is a good way to get injured. Higdon I think focuses on endurance, and Hansons has more purpose. 

Dreamn, yes, I'm a fan. But I haven't used their plan yet. I'm thinking of racing a Half this spring, and if I do, I will use their Half plan. 

Ami, yes, very proud. Never used the yoga. Gonna see if a stretching routine helps. I definitely think sitting all day at work contributes to my tight hips. As for the avatar, make sure you are uploading the pic to the area called something like "My Forum Preferences," and not under your Profile. 

Hello to everyone else! 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Sra- Thanks

Josh- Oh I have bad ones too...they stay in the downloads folder on my computer forever...I hate the ones where it looks like you gained 30 lbs due to the effects of gravity- always great. 

AmiK- I'm feeling the hills in my calves today.  Ouch!

Banshee- what line of work are you in that you're on your feet all day - I sit all day and sometimes wish for the opportunity to move around more- I pace around the office instead. 

Cbus- I think your perspective on Pfitz is interesting.  I've actually found I get faster just by running more, without any purpose whatsoever.  When I look at Pfitz I almost see too much variety.  I've decided I'm not ready for Pfitz right now, especially not in the winter- Higdon int 2 is what I am doing.

Me- 4 on tap again tonight, no hills.  I might do 6, we'll see.  Feeling a bit sore from the 4 miles of hills yesterday.  Left hip feels stiff and calves are sore.  Might go for ART soon to get tuned up.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Trail Monster

Cubs, I think Pfitz is great for runners who seem to be injury-proof. For mere mortals its a great way to wreck yourself. I used some of his theories to put together my plan. We'll see if I did okay or not soon I guess.

Sprinkles, I'm an industrial radiographer. I basically take X-rays of welds and make sure there's no problems in them. So I'm always in power plants, fabrication shops, in the middle of nowhere on a pipeline, etc. Usually no place that I could actually sit. I think I'll throw a folding chair in my car today so I can get off my feet if I start to get aches.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Dreamn

Cbus that's interesting because the general consensus seems to be that HH is purposeless running while Pfitz has more meaning.  There don't seem to be many Hanson runners at all.  Maybe as the book circulates and becomes more popular.

Sprinkles, I've gotten faster by increasing running volume, but I think I could use some pushing to make me run faster during the shorter runs during the week.  I've found that I get comfortable at a pace and won't budge and I definitely didn't do enough MP runs last training cycle.  At the same time, I feel like I still need more endurance my 10k and half race times say I should be running a 3:46 to 3:50 marathon.

akalei

Morning, all! 

Sprinkles: I did Steamtown this year--it was a blast and my quads were fine, but I knew what to expect going in and prepped accordingly.  However, I'm thinking Wineglass for the sake of getting a new experience... and knowing a donut meetup may be in order!  I'll have to log back on at home because I can't see your Philly pics... state government picks the most random stuff to block on the firewall.

Cbus: I was just about to inbox you, but then I thought, because ITBS is such a common issue, this is out there for everyone then.  I was in PT 3x per week and also lifted legs once a week aside from that.  It's been a year since the ITBS issue, so I may have left something out (sorry!):

• Squat side-steps: for this, get those TheraBands that look like giant rubber bands and put them around your ankles, and with your feet together, squat a little (maybe 9 inches for me, and I'm 5'6"), step to your side so that your feet are maybe 3 ft. apart, then step with your trail leg so that your feet meet again.  I did it up and down a 50 foot hallway.  To start, they had me focusing on using my left leg as my lead leg, because that was the troublesome one.  Now, I go down the hall with left, then back up with right, since it's for general strengthening at this point.
                            •  Exercise ball hamstring curls--started with two feet on the ball, then progressed to one foot. (in case you don't know exactly how to do it:http://www.inmotionlife.com/wp-content/uploads/Stability-Ball-Hamstring-Curl.jpg).
                            • Super Clams--you've been doing clams, now do it with your back and feet pressed against a wall, and put your top foot an inch or two above your bottom foot, then do the same "clam shell" motion.  It's a little tougher of a workout.
                            • Lunges with trunk rotation (trunk rotation was because I had a weak core.  still do.)
                            • Single leg dead lifts with a kettlebell (it was on a 3 in. platform so i didn't risk falling over on my face)
                            • LOTS of plyometrics, including: box jumps (again, started with both legs, progressed to two), running like you're doing a row of tires (it was with a nylon ladder laying on the ground), and jump rope.

I also used this thing called a shuttle that looks a lot like a high tech pilates reformer (so much so that on my honeymoon, I tried to use said reformer as a shuttle, figured they were just not as fancy in Antigua-ha!).  I can't say enough about how beneficial yoga has been, too.  I do vinyasa at least once a week and haven't had an injury problem since the IT stuff--knock on wood.  If you've already tried all these, I apologize, and if not and I didn't explain it well, just let me know!

Also, sorry to everyone else for flooding the board this morning Smile

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

mdawg87

Josh:  I'm using Hanson for my next marathon.  I've only done two workouts from the beginner program, but so far so good.  I used Pfitz 18/55 for Chicago and ended up with a pulled calf 6 weeks out.  I read through a Pfitz thread on RWOL a few weeks back.  There was a great observation by esined (some of you probably remember him).  He said (I'm paraphrasing from memory) some folks jump to Pfitz for the mileage increase but aren't ready for the amount quality work in the program.  I think this is spot on.  I know some of our sub 4 group have used it with great success.  It depends on if your body can handle it.  I'm not going to consider using it again until a few more marathons are under my belt.  I don't think Hansons is necessarily easier, I think it's just not as extreme.  Just my two cents.

Banshee:  I can see you too!  I agree with your Pfitz observation as well.  You have to be ready for that intense of a program.

Sprinkles:  Mile 25??? Really???  You look fantastic!

AmiK:  Good choice to err on the side of caution.

cbus:  Spring marathon for me?  Well...maybe!  Still testing the waters a bit with my leg.

4 easy TM miles and abs at the gym this morning.  Next week I'm going to start some early morning track work with a small group that I met at my gym.  We'll see how I like doing my speed/strength workouts in the cold vs. the warm gym.  One gal in the group is targeting the same spring marathon as me and we have similar paces.  We're hoping to run the race and qualify for Boston together!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

akalei

Also--Josh: I did Pfitz for Steamtown, but modified it a bit.  The last 3 weeks call for LR's of, I think, 17, 20, 14, and 12.  I did 20, 13.1 (Philly RNR), 20, and 10.5.  I made the end into more of a taper than the plan calls for because I was worried about not being fresh for the race (although I did a 20 miler 2 weeks out--go figure).  Also, some of the runs during the week ended up being, say, 6 in the AM and 6 in the PM because I didn't have time for 12 in the morning and was worried at the time that my dog couldn't handle that many miles at once (he's crate-trained, so I couldn't bring myself to leave him to go run, then leave again to go work all day, so he did most of my training with me).  FWIW, that's the plan I'll be following again for my next full, because I was very happy with the results.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com