Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hehe.  I would think so.  If I could, I would run naked.  Then again, I never run in cold freezing weather so what do I know?

You just reminded me of the Ghostbuster's marshmallow monster.

Speaking of long runs in the cold, do you find that the extra layers and frigid temps slow you down?  I felt like a marshmallow yesterday with 2 pants and three layers on top. Roll eyes

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Jenny, did you feel like this?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Yup, pretty much.  Big grin

Jenny, did you feel like this?

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

onemile: any time I have to put on three layers I feel awkward and puffy.  Though I was overdressed for my run yesterday when I did that; I probably could have done without the fleece middle layer.  But I don't have to run regularly in temps like you face.

4.2 recovery miles this morning @ 9:19.  It actually was nice out: 30 and sunny, with most of the dusting of snow we got yesterday gone.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

It was so cold out I stopped after the 4 miles - so, 4 mi at 7:47 pace.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

DetroitTigerFan

Docket - lol at the marshmellow pic. Another one is the little kid over bundled up in Christmas Story - lol

Josh - going to see the flames and wings this week !

2 inches of snow and 11 degrees - just completed my weekly 10 miler. I'm getting close to signing up for my fall marathon, but have a few things I need to check off on my personal list first before signing up.  One down was a Dr's visit this past week. I've been having some chest soreness these past few months in a local area near the bottom of my sternum right under the rib by my heart. Dr checked it out - after an ekg, he said i had the heart of an 18 yr old (which i'm not sure if he was just saying that,  but was nice of him since i'm in my late 30's).  Anyway, the good news is that he thinks its more of a muscular issue, maybe posture causes it from time to time. Sometimes i wonder if my dynamic stretching or turning in bed have caused it by torqing my abdomen somehow.  I have no issues when i'm running so i guess i just keep an eye on it for now

Hope everyone enjoys the superbowl today or at least the commericals - lol.   I can't wait for spring baseball myself.....

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

mdawg87

Good Super Bowl Sunday afternoon!!  Got my hour of TM running in this morning followed by some stretching at the gym.  I can still feel the tightness in my leg, but no pain.  I don't think the sports doc will allow me to run anything but flats until that goes away.   I wouldn't be comfortable either.  I'd be afraid of pulling/tearing it again.  I'll see what he says tomorrow.  As long as I keep improving and can do any kind of running, I'll be happy.

Sprinkles:  nice pace For the 4 miler.

onemile:  it's not the clothing that bothers me as just being so uncomfortable when I'm cold.  Now, I've never run in some of the frigid temps y'all face.  Anything with wind and below 30 and I'm on the TM.  I live up to DH's favorite nickname for me...hothouse flower.

edited to add...DTF...Watching the Penguins/Capitals right now!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 10 very snowy miles today. Pace went right out the window. I just focused on covering the distance. That gives me 45 for the week.

Sprinkles, we're you happy with your race? RR please!

Mdawg, that's awesome!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

CBus:  Way to get the 10 miles done and a nice weekly total!

MDawg:  It's awesome that  you were able to run without pain...hope you continue to heal nicely!  Kudos to  you for being patient and following doctor's orders!

Detroit:  Nice 10 miler.  So glad your visit with the doc went well and it's nothing serious.

Sprinkles:  Great job and speedy pace for the 4!  RR please.

Flinders:  Jealous of your sunny run!

Onemile:  Lol at the marshmallow pic...I feel the same way.

Nachos:  Nice 10!  Wish I could run 10 @ 9:03 when my legs "aren't there!"

Day 1 of the Hanson HM plan in the books!  I should mention we ended up having to skip the first 3 weeks of base building because our goal race is May 4....hoping that the fall marathon training will suffice.  Anyway, one of the things that I like most about the Hanson plan is that you don't run your long runs at a really slow pace.  He calls it "moderately aerobic."  According to the table, for my goal time, I should average around 9:06 so I set a range from 8:50-9:20 for myself, depending on how I am feeling.  I did 6 today @ 9:05/mile and was happy with the run.  Legs felt really good, but I will say I was breathing a little harder than I feel I should have been.  For right now, I am hoping it was due to the sinus infection, cold weather, and the fact that I have only run 3 times in the last 3 weeks.  I wasn't sucking wind or anything, just breathing faster than that pace usually feels for me.  I will keep an eye on it and adjust goals if needed. I hope everyone has a great day and enjoys the Super Bowl!

Question of the Day:  I have decided that this training cycle, I need to work on my mental toughness.  I consider myself to be pretty mentally strong and when doing a hard workout (Insanity or something intense like it), but when I am running a race, I find it really easy to sorta "give up" if I am not making my goal time or if things get a little hard.  I just think, "I will walk for a second" and then it turns into 30 seconds and on and on.  So, any tips for convincing yourself to just keep going?  Any methods for increasing your mental toughness?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

You guys want a RR here or in the forum overall? In any event, a RR for a 4 mile race can only be short.

It was FREEZING and windy out this morning, so I slept way too late, dragged my ass out of bed and threw on a sweatshirt and my marathon jacket and wave riders.  I got to the race after the corrals were already lined up, ducked under the tape, and we were off.  I told myself I would keep it under 8:00 the whole time EXCEPT for the West Side hills.  Wound up being totally fine even on those.  I forgot to turn my watch off and it also recorded the cab ride home.  I stopped after the race to wait for a teammate, but it wound up being SO COLD that I never started running again/ my butt started to hurt by the SI joint so I called it a day and came home, took a really hot shower and stuff.  The race passed in a blur- I just know that 7:47 didn't feel as awful as I thought it would- I think its a good pace for me, and I plan to adjust my half marathon pace based on it downward to 8:00.

Here are my splits http://connect.garmin.com/splits/269194784

That's what happens when you leave your Garmin on and get really cold and chicken out and take a cab.

Ball of Fury

Nice job...especially with the wind and cold!  I find that almost all races go by in a blur for me...I am always amazed at some people's RR that are so detailed.  I never remember much except always feeling like I want the damn thing to be over!

You guys want a RR here or in the forum overall? In any event, a RR for a 4 mile race can only be short.

It was FREEZING and windy out this morning, so I slept way too late, dragged my ass out of bed and threw on a sweatshirt and my marathon jacket and wave riders.  I got to the race after the corrals were already lined up, ducked under the tape, and we were off.  I told myself I would keep it under 8:00 the whole time EXCEPT for the West Side hills.  Wound up being totally fine even on those.  I forgot to turn my watch off and it also recorded the cab ride home.  I stopped after the race to wait for a teammate, but it wound up being SO COLD that I never started running again/ my butt started to hurt by the SI joint so I called it a day and came home, took a really hot shower and stuff.  The race passed in a blur- I just know that 7:47 didn't feel as awful as I thought it would- I think its a good pace for me, and I plan to adjust my half marathon pace based on it downward to 8:00.

That's what happens when you leave your Garmin on and get really cold and chicken out and take a cab.

cmb4314

Well, today was a wash.

Supposed to do 20.  Got all dressed, drove to the trail, and it still had 4 inches of snow on it (supposedly, they maintain it in the winter.  not so much).  Went out, and the footing was terrible - we were running 11:30s, but effort wise it felt like I was running 10s.  Then we got to where the bridges on the path start, and they were lumpy and icy under the snow.  So we decided to head back to town and see if the paths were better - but they weren't, and we had to dodge traffic to boot.  And after 10 minutes in the car driving back, we had sat in our sweat for a while, and now we were COLD.  My husband tried to drink from his Camelbak, and it was frozen and he started to panic.  Then, I turned my ankle on an ice lump under the snow, and that was the last straw.

Trying again tomorrow after work, which will not be much fun, but we can plan better.  Either small loops past the house, or treadmill, or something.

An hour and a half away from the house, and we managed 3.21 miles in two short jaunts, with a bunch of driving.  We just ran out of time to go all the way home, change to dry clothes, and try again.  We have too much else to do today.

Based on how sore my hips and knees are after only three miles, I don't think all of the instability of running on the snow was going to do anything good for my IT band, either (which was actually feeling rather good this morning).

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami - I used to be mentally not-tough with running but determined and stubborn as a bull.  I just go out there without obsessing about pace and hope that I can hit those splits.  If I do, I do, if I don't I don't...I just don't let myself walk.  I tell myself I'll be done faster if I don't walk, and that only beginners walk (not true but I tell myself these things).  I'm horrible about negative self talk in other areas of my life...and I guess that is why I love running - I am positive with that.  There's a hill...I'm just like...oh its a hill.  There's a downhill, I think "let er fly, open up".  I don't think much of the consequences or overall race strategy but rather try to run in the moment.  If it hurts, I tell myself the next mile will probably not hurt as much- there are good miles and bad miles.  Idk how I got into thinking this way, I just started to feel more positive about my abilities and can brush off one bad mile or a bad run as no big deal and move on.  Personally, a large portion of mental strength is just not dwelling on it when it isn't working out the way you want it to and letting something defeat you- in any event, even if you don't hit your pace, you still RAN...meaning you'll still be a better runner than you were before you ran.  Today I skipped my LR.  I was cold, my butt hurt, and I didn't want to run anymore...so what? I skipped runs last training plan, I'm tired, and I'll run 42 miles this week.  It will be fine.

Ball of Fury

Cmb:  Sorry today was a wash!  For what it's worth, I think you definitely made the right call!

Sprinkles:  Thanks...that does help.  I think I just get so mad and frustrated when I don't hit my goal, that I tend to give up easily, which is obviously not the best thing to do!  I will try to do more positive self talk Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!

Damaris

Fundraising Page