Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Ball of Fury

One mile:  Thanks!!  I am planning to pick my marathon goal based how my HM goes in May, I think, and then just adjust if needed.

Roll:  Are you sure we weren't twins separated at birth...my mom is kinda sneaky like that!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

One mile:  Thanks!!  I am planning to pick my marathon goal based how my HM goes in May, I think, and then just adjust if needed.

Roll:  Are you sure we weren't twins separated at birth...my mom is kinda sneaky like that!

That was my plan too. I ended up never adjusting it though.  In the beginning, I felt like NO WAY is this marathon pace but I also thought why am I doing all this speedwork if not to get faster.  And now MP feels better and I think MAYBE this is MP.  Big grin

Rusk Runner

So Ami, I am now feeling ancient with a birth year of '64.  And my BQ time has to be 10 minutes faster than yours Cry.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

It sounds like this is a small firm (or a medium sized firm) if they cannot offer you more money than that, right?  If you are secured where you are, I would attempt to negotiate that.  Why should you leave a very nice clerkship (I assume this is a federal one) for a firm that is not even going to pay you more than that when you have the goods (you come from the judge and that carries a lot of clout).  I know you have to but the firms must be dying to get you since you're coming off one.

When I was in law school, I interviewed at the top big firms in Miami.  None enthused me because of the high hours and no life, so I feel you for not wanting to go to them.  But taking a pay cut is also not good.  Ugh.

Is there a chance that you can apply for another clerkship?  I know people who do.  Good luck and keep me posted.

Hey everyone! It's been a while.  Things have been crazy hectic between work and the job search.  Shamrock went well (new half PR!) and Oakland a week later went well but I ran too fast--just 2 minutes slower than my PR a week earlier.  I'll post RR's eventually.

I need to go back through a few pages this afternoon, but I think I've missed like 30 pages, so I definitely won't be making it all the way back through Smile I'll definitely get on that this evening though.

So I know there are a couple of lawyer friends on here, too.  I need some non-running advice from y'all.  Like I said, I've been working on the job hunt and was just offered a job at a 32-lawyer firm that's well respected in the area.  Problem is, they offered me $235 more per year than I make right now at my clerkship, and once healthcare premiums are taken out, I'd actually be taking a pay cut.  So I'm obviously going to try to negotiate on that.  There are discretionary bonuses but I have no clue what the range is there, though I'm assuming not much.  They also didn't say anything about offering maternity leave in the letter, which I'm going to want to know about one day.  Anyway, I guess my concern is that I sort of thought I'd always be doing corporate law in some big firm, but at the same time, I wonder whether it's worth it to still aim for that at an expense to my personal life.  Any input? I'm not sure what size practice the other lawyers here are in (Docket, you were a government atty as well, right?).  Obviously as a law clerk I need to get another job but I have about 6 months left before my clerkship ends and I don't have a definitive end date, so there's wiggle room there.  What to do, what to do.

Sorry, end rant.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

So Ami, I am now feeling ancient with a birth year of '64.  And my BQ time has to be 10 minutes faster than yours Cry.

Glad I could help!!  And I agree, it sucks for you!!  Good thing you are faster than me!

Docket_Rocket

I chose the DOJ because the extra hours do make a difference to me.  I leave at 4:30pm every day.  I do work 50-55 hours a week and sometimes more but I am free to do it or not (after all, there are few emergencies in banrkuptcy cases) and I have the luck of being married to somebody that earns more than me, LOL.  My benefits are amazing.  My work will never interfere with my vacation or time off.

I've talked to my husband about this from time to time and he always exclaims back: for the benefits alone you shouldn't leave.  It is true that it's not for the salary, as I will be breaking three figures next year (unless Congress screws with us again) when I can be making twice that in private practice.

Akalei- I work at a big corporate law firm in a boutique litigation practice within that firm.  What that means is that basically, i work with about 12 people on specific types of litigation (class and mass action management).  I used to work at a big firm in a big litigation department doing general litigation.  There's a huge difference even though basically the firms are the same size and type.  The smaller group is far more manageable because I know everyone's schedule and they kind of know my work load.  I know where the work is coming from and when it is going to be busy versus not, so there is more predictability than there was at my old job.  In the big group, i was working 15-20 hour days regularly and billing around 3,000 hour years.  I had no life.  Basically, billing 2000-2200 / year I still have time for work and a personal life and don't foresee it being a major issue having a family (most of the people i work with do, including women).  I chose this job over a 50-lawyer firm and a massive paycut because I didn't think that the couple of extra hours to myself a week was really going to make the difference or solve the problems inherent in being a lawyer in private practice (big egos, personality clashes, long hours and hard work).  It also really helps to have a firm that has the infrastructure you need, ie. someone to fix the copier at 3 am, and secretarial OT when necessary.  Hope I can help a bit.  Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email if you want

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

So, going back to the important topic (outfits), I assume one of the shoes is pink?

That was my plan too. I ended up never adjusting it though.  In the beginning, I felt like NO WAY is this marathon pace but I also thought why am I doing all this speedwork if not to get faster.  And now MP feels better and I think MAYBE this is MP.  Big grin

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I chose the DOJ because the extra hours do make a difference to me.  I leave at 4:30pm every day.  I do work 50-55 hours a week and sometimes more but I am free to do it or not (after all, there are few emergencies in banrkuptcy cases) and I have the luck of being married to somebody that earns more than me, LOL.  My benefits are amazing.  My work will never interfere with my vacation or time off.

I've talked to my husband about this from time to time and he always exclaims back: for the benefits alone you shouldn't leave.  It is true that it's not for the salary, as I will be breaking three figures next year (unless Congress screws with us again) when I can be making twice that in private practice.

Yeah - I should add that I am the bigger earner in the relationship (primary income) and will be returning to work 100% if and when we have children- if either one of us stayed home it would be him, and only if his income were lower than childcare (which it isn't). Also, I bought a condo while working at my old job...in Manhattan.  I thought seriously about going in house or going to the Gov't, but i couldn't swing it, so my decisions were constrained by outside factors.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

So, going back to the important topic (outfits), I assume one of the shoes is pink?

Which shoes do you run in?  I have the Wave Riders in 2 colors right now, and the Pureflows in 3.  Whenever RW has a big sale, I go to town.

onemile

I may have gotten another pair of the black/pink Smile

the other two colors are red and white/green.  I have no idea what I'm wearing or what the temperature will be like but I like having options.

Docket_Rocket

All?

I have Mizuno Wave Riders, Elixirs, Mushas, Ronins, Precisions, and I might eb forgetting some.  I have the Flows and the Connects.  I love RW!

Which shoes do you run in?  I have the Wave Riders in 2 colors right now, and the Pureflows in 3.  Whenever RW has a big sale, I go to town.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

I'm right there with you Indi!  Born in '65.  However, my BQ time is more manageable.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

My daughter was born in 1971- I have a grandson who can drive!

I have not just read about Kennedy being assassinated, I remember it.

The car in my avatar was my dream car in 1965, it makes me feel young again.

I have always wondered why hours are so long in the legal profession, it seems that's just the way things are done.

I understand everyone bills by the hour so more hours more money, but still.

Hope you are feeling better Cbus.

Happy birthday RVD!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ball of Fury

All right Donuts...DH and I just registered for the Air Force HM in Dayton in September and the Monumental Marathon in November!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

My daughter was born in 1971- I have a grandson who can drive!

I have not just read about Kennedy being assassinated, I remember it.

The car in my avatar was my dream car in 1965, it makes me feel young again.

I have always wondered why hours are so long in the legal profession, it seems that's just the way things are done.

I understand everyone bills by the hour so more hours more money, but still.

Hope you are feeling better Cbus.

Happy birthday RVD!

The hours are only so long because everyone is so busy having a panic attack it takes 2 hours for everyone to panic, freak out, and then like 30 minutes to do the actual work...and then there are the other times when there's just a lot of mess to clean up Smile

Docket- you have so many shoes!!! I really want to try the Elixir.

Me: 5 miles @ MP tonight.  Unintentionally at MP- felt easy.