Sub-4 Marathon Group

Valentine Run 15k RR (Read 24 times)

onemile

The forecast:  12 degrees, feels like 4.  We got a bunch of snow on Thursday so I was worried the course wouldn't be clear but on Friday the RD sent out an email saying the roads were salted and would be clear and dry for the race. Whew.

Thanks to all the advice on what to wear, I decided to go with compression shorts under tights on bottom and a long sleeve tech tee, short sleeved tech tee and windbreaker on top and a beanie. No gloves because my hands get hot.  This ended up being just about perfect. I was never too cold or too hot.

Pre-race:  Got up at 4:15 am because the race was over 2 hours away.  Had a greek yogurt and a granola bar and a cup of coffee.  Had some trouble finding a place to park when we arrived so we were running a little late.  Jogged to packet pickup and back to the car to pin our bibs on and then jogged back to the start area. They were already doing the national anthem so I didn't have time for more warmup and only got in about .8 miles (I was planning to do 1.5-2 miles wu).

Goal:  The point of this race was to check if I had gotten faster so sub-1:13 or a 7:50 pace was my goal.

The splits:

Mile 1      7:43      Ok, 7:45 pace and it doesn't feel terrible. Roads are pretty decent.

Mile 2      7:54      Entered into a park. Roads are slippery and packed snow/ice. WTF, what happened to "clear and dry"? Slowed down a little due to the footing.

Mile 3      7:29      Ahh, back on clear roads and slightly downhill. Much better. The girl running alongside me comments on my beautiful eyelash-sicles. I can see the ice on them Smile

Mile 4      7:43      Nice and flat, clear roads. Working and breathing hard but it feels sustainable.

Mile 5      7:38

Mile 6      7:57      Ok now we're looping through a park again. Slippery roads for this mile. I slipped and almost fell but caught myself. Ugh.

Mile 7      7:45      Back on clear roads. Just trying to hang on.

Mile 8      8:05      3/4 of this mile was uphill. My legs were so tired and I tried but I just couldn't move them any faster.

Mile 9      7:43      Back on flat ground. Just keep moving, it's almost over. Someone behind me says we're on pace for 1:12 something. Woooo, that made me feel better.

Final .22    7:12      Hey, I thought it was supposed to be .32!

Official finish time:  1:11:22 (Chip timed).  7:40 pace, 4/46 AG.   My Garmin average pace was 7:45 though.  A little disappointed about the short course but happy with my performance because this is faster than the McMillian equivalents of any of my PRs and faster than the 8k I ran last September.   I'm excited about what this says for the rest of my marathon training Smile

The swag - chocolate bar and cupid shaped cheese. Way better than a medal!

Thanks for reading!

Smashy!!!

Great race! Was it a USTF certified course? If so, I'd trust their measurement. Even if not, Garmin isn't 100% accurate. So I wouldn't undersell your chip time. Great race. I'm excited to see what you do in the marathon!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Great race, onemile!  As Cbus said, if the course was certified, I'd trust the measurements.  Also, edible swag is always a plus!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

onemile

Thanks.  It doesn't say certified course actually.  But I'm ok with having an adjusted pace of 7:45!

Docket_Rocket

Great job, onemile!  Were you surprised that you beat your goal? If yes, I assume it's Hanson's magic working on you already.  Keep it up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

onemile - very impressive and congratulations !  I'm impressed by anyone who can run in those temperatures with all that gear on ! was there any wind ? i know that makes it colder. PS  - how far / week # are you into your Hansons plan ? nice job again !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

Awesome!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Thanks guys!

D - I was surprised because I wasn't really feeling like I had gotten faster.  But then again I was hoping I wasn't suffering through Hansons speedwork for no reason!

Josh - The wind was only 6mph or something.  Pretty lucky in that regard.  I just finished week 8 so almost halfway there!  Smile

Trail Monster

Great job OneMile! You're going to have a great marathon in your future!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Onemile! That's a smokin' time not to mention, less than ideal conditions. Rock on!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Nice job onemile even with course being short. I'd be pumped for rest of marathon training too.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Thanks guys Smile