Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Oh geez. Sorry to hear it.

Ha, I was going to try for a 4:20 finish, which meant a 9:55 pace which actually meant running at about 9:50 since one always runs more than 26.2 during the actual race.  But I damaged my left hamstring during an MP run Friday night, so now I'm not sure what to do.  I'll have to take several days off before I can even think about a slow treadmill run.  I have no idea when and by how much I can try to increase the intensity level.  This happens right in the middle of the meat portion of the Hanson program for the Shamrock.  Cry  So now I have no idea how to try to resume the Hansons' program or what kind of pace to target.

onemile

Banshee - that's exciting your coach thinks you can go for a pace that starts with a 9. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do bc you seem to be improving rapidly.

mdawg87

SRD for me.  Calf was sore yesterday after the run...as in hard workout type sore.  Not like I'd reinjured it or anything.  I'm sure it's because of the tightness I can still feel.  Lunchtime sports doc appointment today.  I have a feeling I'll be icing my leg after he's done with me.  As such, I'll be working from home this afternoon.  Will check back in later with results.

Jedi:  Nice 13.2!  That's definitely a confidence booster.

RV:  Bummer about the hammie.  Did you tweak it or something worse?  Hope you can baby it for a few days and get back to it.  I recall you're pretty well read on the Hansons program, but I do remember there's a section in the book about injuries.  It talks about getting back on plan based on the amount of time you have to take off.

Super Bowl QOTD:  I watched the commercials with half an eye as I was working while the game was on.  So I don't really remember any of the ones y'all are referencing.  Didn't even watch halftime as I turned if off to concentrate.  Such is life sometimes!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Roll - Dont get me wrong, but that is too funny if its true.

I cant imagine how cool i looked tugging at those things while trying to run

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 6 easy on tap today. I'm hoping they clear the sidewalks by that time. If not, I'll be doing laps in the neighborhood. Anyone else notice RW is running a lot of clearance promotions on winter stuff? I ordered a Mizuno Breath Thermo baselayer for like $30! If you decide to pick up anything, be sure to use the FB15D coupon for an extra 15% off.

Jedi, Is the Ronin enough shoe for training, then? I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the 5s, since they're so dang cheap.

Ami, I got another idea for mental toughness: Graston!

Mdawg, it sounds like you're really healing up. Fantastic! Next time you see the sport doc, inquire about laser treatment. My chiro used it right after he Grastoned me, and I believe it sped up the healing process.

Roll, I think "Too Tight Compression Shorts" should be its own thread!

RVDowning, any idea what happened to the hammy? I don't recall if you said you got the book, but they do give some guidelines about adjusting the plans for injury. If you don't, let me know, and I'll post some of the info here.

Banshee, that's great! I, for one, think you could totally smash 26.2 at 9:45. Totally.

Onemile, taper was rough. That's when I first got sick. I dialed it way down, but I just never got that pep everybody always associates with taper. I think it was a clear sign that I had overtrained. I'm not as worried this time around, not even with the Hansons' short taper. I think the amount of cutback they put in will feel like a lot. If not, I'm okay with tailoring it to suit my needs.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Bummer.  Hope it feels better soon.

Ha, I was going to try for a 4:20 finish, which meant a 9:55 pace which actually meant running at about 9:50 since one always runs more than 26.2 during the actual race.  But I damaged my left hamstring during an MP run Friday night, so now I'm not sure what to do.  I'll have to take several days off before I can even think about a slow treadmill run.  I have no idea when and by how much I can try to increase the intensity level.  This happens right in the middle of the meat portion of the Hanson program for the Shamrock.  Cry  So now I have no idea how to try to resume the Hansons' program or what kind of pace to target.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

CBus:  I was actually talking to DH about that yesterday.  I really like my chiro but feel like his "poor man's Graston" is not really helping.  There is a certified provider at a rehab clinic near my hospital so I was thinkcan of calling them.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - get the Ronin4. they are $49 and with F15D code cost me $42. i think it's enough show, but onlu use along with Musha for quality. Has good support you could use as everyday trainer. Very lite shoe.

Jedi, Is the Ronin enough shoe for training, then? I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the 5s, since they're so dang cheap.

RV - sorry about hammie. Whole section on how to adjust for injury in hanson book.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Smashy!!!

Jedi, yeah, I meant 4. My question is mainly about the width of the platform. I remember it being very narrow underneath. Though I love the responsiveness of the Ronin, my preference is for something with a wider platform, like the Musha or the Fastwitch. Can you tell me what it feels like underneath?

cbus - get the Ronin4. they are $49 and with F15D code cost me $42. i think it's enough show, but onlu use along with Musha for quality. Has good support you could use as everyday trainer. Very lite shoe.

RV - sorry about hammie. Whole section on how to adjust for injury in hanson book.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Morning!

Today was supposed to be my SRD, but now I will be trying my long run.  We will have to evaluate the state of roads and things by the end of the day today - it snowed another two inches overnight and the roads were really ugly this morning during my commute (and there was some crazy person ninja running, on icy roads with no shoulder, wearing nothing reflective and carrying no light).  At least it's easy to push my run back a day this week, because it's the first week of taper so my overall mileage is lower and easier to shuffle around (no runs over 8 miles during the week!  yay!)

My IT band has been feeling better.  When I was foam rolling after my short run on Saturday morning, I managed to find a spot/angle kind of more to the top of my leg than I usually roll, that HURT, but I kept pushing on it and rolling it out.  I was sore for a few hours after rolling that spot, but I think I found and released an adhesion I'd never found before, because once the trauma wore off, the whole thing has been feeling less achy and sore.  I rolled the same spot yesterday and didn't have the same level of pain.

Sprinkles - awesome race!

Onemile - nice job on the run in the cold!  I too am looking forward to less layers this weekend Smile

Rollcast - sounds like when I was getting horrible ankle pain, and it was just because of where the elastic ankle of my running tights was sitting.  Clothes can be surprisingly dangerous :P

Banshee -  nice job on the 21 miles!  I totally think you have a 9:45 pace in you.  You're hitting paces in speedwork that are as fast or faster than I can do, are doing more mileage than I did for my last marathon, and I ran 4:19 that race (which was a 9:45 pace on my Garmin, though 9:53 overall considering the extra .3 miles I ran).

RVDowning - sorry to hear about your hamstring.  Hope you get back to running soon.

Amik - I play a LOT of mental games with myself while I run.  I usually really study what I'm running and I have the course mentally broken up into sections, so I can handle them a few miles at a time.  When I get to the last segment, it's like a giant weight has been lifted off of my shoulders because I believe I'm almost there.  Not that it always saves me from walking, if I really went out too fast and my HR is too high, but it helps when I just want to wuss out for no good reason if I really believe that I'm almost finished.  By the end of the race this has sometimes devolved to "I can do anything for 8 more minutes...I can do anything for 8 more minutes...".

I have also learned to never, ever run a race with my husband.  If I have someone present who will give me sympathy, I am much more likely to wimp out when it hurts Joking

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Definitely more shoe underneath than Musha but less than say the Rider or Precision.

Jedi, yeah, I meant 4. My question is mainly about the width of the platform. I remember it being very narrow underneath. Though I love the responsiveness of the Ronin, my preference is for something with a wider platform, like the Musha or the Fastwitch. Can you tell me what it feels like underneath?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

cmb4314

Hmm.   Interesting new development on the long run front - if I want to push it to tomorrow, I could run it by running laps through the concourse at the Metrodome.  ~2.5 laps per mile, so it's not a tight enough loop that I'm concerned about turning to the same side too many times.  It would only be open for 3 hours, which will limit me to ~18 miles rather than the 20 I was supposed to do (this does not concern me much.  I've done two 20s already).  It is not outside in the dark and ice, nor is it on the treadmill, nor is it heated excessively - you wait in there before the start of the Twin Cities Marathon, and both times I have been freezing cold sitting there.

I can futz around with my schedule this week without problem since I'm mostly doing easy runs.

Not sure if it gets kind of pointless to do the run, though, if I'm pushing it off for two days.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

nachosgrande

I maybe alone in this, but I think these races are mostly physical. The mental part has to do with managing your body to maximize the physical. So as I see it, it's likely you couldn't stick to it for mie 12 not because you lack mental toughness but because you blew up.

Agree with you, Cbus.  Especially since she stated that she "blew up."  I BLEW UP  around mile 11 in my August half and the truth is that no amount of mental toughness could have kept me going at that point.  Sure enough, when I checked my heart rate data after the race I discovered that I had been running at just about 95% of MHR for the previous 2 miles.  That was a physical issue that no amount of mental toughness was going to overcome.

Trail Monster

RV, hopefully you'll feel better in a day or two. As long as you don't miss more than a week you probably won't lose much. If you still target 9:50 pace we should try to meet up and run the first 5-10 miles together so we can keep each other on pace! Smile

I have yoga and weights on the schedule today. The treadmill maintenance guy is coming this afternoon so I might do a mile or two to make sure I'm happy with the repairs before he leaves. Have a great Monday Donuts!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

White Lightning

Afternoon all.  Sorry to gloat but its 49F at my house right now, snow is melting crazy fast.  Out in t-shirt doing a bit of spring cleaning (a bit premature but helps me mentally).  SRD and I think i'm either going to go real light on my Plyo tonight or skip it all together, haven't decided yet.  Or maybe just do it like regular, sure that's what I'll end up doing because I'm a bit stupid in that way.  Still got just a little bit of soreness left from that killer leg workout I did on Friday.

Funny you mention about the compression pants causing some problems.  Wonder if that is screwing with my hip, my tights are a bit tight up top and have never had hip issues except cold weather running.

No good commercials up here in Canada, was a bit disappointed.  We have CBS but they play all Canadian commercials

RV - yikes on the hammy, hopefully its not as bad as you think

Play the Game Hard!