Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

cmb4314

Hi all!

Docket - hope your illness is getting better.  Being sick like that sucks.

Akalei - sorry to hear about your IT band.  I hope your injury is mild like what I'm currently going through - mine was sore as heck on Monday, but is feeling pretty solid today after some aggressive foam rolling and time off of my feet.

Indi - Nice work on the biking.  I have not been out on my bike much yet, but the plan is to either go up to a local park or to the rail trail on Saturday morning so I can do some easy riding with low/no traffic.  I have to get more skilled with shifting, and last time I was on it I was having trouble with one of the gears not catching quite right (of course, the one I wanted to be in most of the time) so I think I'm going to have to adjust the derailleur a bit.

I have picked out a tri for mid September and actually bought a wetsuit on a really good sale yesterday (I could rent one for $35/day, or else buy one for $100, so I just bought one.  It's not like I'm going to grow Smile).  I would love to find a decent training program, but I might just have to fly by the seat of my pants.  I can swim 1000+ yards easily, but I'm still doing 3 miles or less of run/walk - most programs have either much more running, or much less swimming.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indi - sounds like you're doing way better - graston definitely should eliminate the residual tightness.

Akalei - have you thought about Graston for the IT band? I had six months of IT band issues in 2011-2012 and that's how I discovered the Graston miracle.

RV- I have those problems when i use firefox.  No issues in Chrome or IE...maybe its your browser? Or email Eric (admin of the site) - he's really helpful.

Me - Yesterday's workout rocked [8 mi w/ 4 at 15k-hmp] and I nailed the paces- i have to upload them to my log still.  Today's was a nice 10 miles as well - I felt like I was going super slow but i was actually running 8:50s.  Doing spin tonight but i think i'll make tomorrow a rest day completely.  I'm honestly exhausted.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

That is because Eric is still updating the site.

I'm having so much trouble with this site I'm about ready to go back to RWOL.  I get error pages most of the the times I click on a link.  I think if I copy the link address and then add an "s" after the "http" it will often work, but this is a nuisance.

Hi, guys.  MIA because of the site and because it's my first day back at work.  Feeling better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Did 8 w 4 @ MP.

Hope everyone's doing well!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Cmb - that sounds awesome. I want to start sprint tri's next year.

rocket - glad you're feeling better

CBus & Sprinkles - nice runs to both of you.

Mdawg - Balckhawks are secretly trying to give me heart failure. #conspiracy

day 24 of the RW challenge. My legs could use a rest day but in general I am feeling good. 5 miles with huge (to me, the flatlander) hills.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

RV- I have those problems when i use firefox.  No issues in Chrome or IE...maybe its your browser? Or email Eric (admin of the site) - he's really helpful.

I was trying Firefox, Opera and Chrome and had problems with all three.  I'm at home now on my Linux system and have no issues.  Maybe everything is straightened out now.

Had to drink some pickle juice last night and again today to get rid of leg cramps.  I've been picking up the pace and the mileage in heat and the legs are complaining a bit.  Just as an FYI, there is some thought that it is the vinegar in the pickle juice that is the active ingredient in getting rid of cramps, so I bought a small bottle and have been using it for the last couple of weeks or so  It does work, but I can't say yet whether it is as effective as pickle juice or not.  At the moment I'm kinda thinking that maybe it isn't.  Anyway, it tastes awful compared to pickle juice, and that is saying something!

Stick to the pickle juice. I think it has to do with the way the sodium chloride reacts with the vinegar while in the mix.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Haha I'm a freak.  I love pickle juice.  I hear apple cider vinegar is healthy so i have some daily.  Pretty much love the stuff by now.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Haha I'm a freak.  I love pickle juice.  I hear apple cider vinegar is healthy so i have some daily.  Pretty much love the stuff by now.

It was apple cider vinegar that I was using.  That's some pretty awful tasting stuff!

Docket_Rocket

Either one sounds disgusting!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Dccket  - glad to hear you are feeling better.

Sprinkles - I am with you sister!  Pickle juice is great!  An empty jar of pickles means the consumption is only halfway done.  The juice is as important as the pickles that came before them.

I ate like a dirty pig last yesterday.  Brats,, fried chicken, ice cream, etc.  I feel like crap for it today too.  Going to chiro today and I will fit a ride into the day somewhere.  Hoping the in-laws might watch the kids so I can take DW for a ride on the Harley today.  Need to ride out to a bike shop somewhere and get a brightly colored jersey to wear when I am on the highways out here.  Doing a ride with a freind Sunnday who is a serious cyclist that has been laid off from the sport for awhile.  That will probably be a faster ride than what I am used to.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Contrary to indi, I ate only 1000 calories yesterday and my stomach cannot tolerate a lot yet (in terms of calories) before it gets full.  Not sure if I'll run but I am itching to.  We'll see.

Hope everybody has a great day.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

mdawg87

Good morning!  Strength training, 4 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Gorgeous day in the ATL today.  Can't wait to get to the pool this weekend!  DH will be gone for 10 days on his trip starting today.  I'll miss him, but will enjoy my solo time too.

Pickle Juice:  I'm with Docket.  Both of those sound awful to me.  But whatever works for you!

Docket:  Glad you are feeling better.  I'm sure the Heat winning last night helped!

Roll:  Ha!  I'm sure you're not the only Hawks fan feeling that way!  I'm excited to be able to watch the whole game on Saturday night.  It'll be difficult to keep my eyes open.  But since I can sleep in on Sunday, I'll find a way!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Roll:  Ha!  I'm sure you're not the only Hawks fan feeling that way!  I'm excited to be able to watch the whole game on Saturday night.  It'll be difficult to keep my eyes open.  But since I can sleep in on Sunday, I'll find a way!

Whaddya mean you get to sleep in on Sunday?  I'll be on the Silver Comet at sunrise for my long run.  You should be there too!

mdawg87

Whaddya mean you get to sleep in on Sunday?  I'll be on the Silver Comet at sunrise for my long run.  You should be there too!

Running at sunrise is sleeping in for me!  I've usually got feet on pavement, TM, etc. at 5 am!  Not sure I'll be on the Comet this Sunday.  I've only got 10 so may just do it close to the house.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)