Sub-4 Marathon Group

Hanson & Pfitz Discussion (Read 403 times)

TriciaRuns

Thanks guys.  Good points there.  I would have probably tried to do them too fast or too hard if I wouldn't have asked the question.  I appreciate the feedback.

RVDowning- thanks for the tip about recovering between each one.  I would have probably tried to do them too close together.  Thanks.

-Tricia

PRs

26:32 - 5k

53:16 - 10k

1:58:47 - HM

mucknort

However, i'm wondering what you all think of the Hansons time commitment - running every day except one day per week. This seems tough from a schedule perspective.  Maybe many of you do this already. I don't think i can or want to run 6 days a week.

• The Hansons long run thought on maxing at 16 miles is tough for me. I do believe in the psychological benefits of a 20 miler. Last year i did a 22 as a max (which i think was super) and actually a 25 miler for Galloway the year before that (which i regret now)

Anyway - hoping to get your feedback ! thanks !

I've used Hansons for a couple of marathons now, and am absolutely addicted to running 6 days a week, even when I'm not training. Before Hansons, I would'a told you that 1 day off a week was crazy, but now there are weeks when I hit rest day and think, "but I wanna run!".

The 16 mile max was something that drew me to Hansons in the first place. As a 50+ year old runner, I was more concerned about running lots of miles at one time. Before the first marathon, I was a bit concerned having only run a max of 16 miles, but when I hit mile 16 during that marathon I felt strong and continued to the rest of the race. Now I just trust that it works and don't worry about it. Will start training for my third marathon using Hansons in a few months.

onemile

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm half way through Hansons Advanced and I have to say the 16 mile max makes me nervous but it seems like pretty much everyone has the same results as you do - feeling strong those last 10.  So that's reassuring.

I've used Hansons for a couple of marathons now, and am absolutely addicted to running 6 days a week, even when I'm not training. Before Hansons, I would'a told you that 1 day off a week was crazy, but now there are weeks when I hit rest day and think, "but I wanna run!".

The 16 mile max was something that drew me to Hansons in the first place. As a 50+ year old runner, I was more concerned about running lots of miles at one time. Before the first marathon, I was a bit concerned having only run a max of 16 miles, but when I hit mile 16 during that marathon I felt strong and continued to the rest of the race. Now I just trust that it works and don't worry about it. Will start training for my third marathon using Hansons in a few months.

I'm using the purchased Hanson 20 week 40 - 60 week plan and it has several 18 mile long runs.  I also tend to do a slow 6 mile or so run on Wednesdays, the SRDs.

I also just purchased the Hanson 20 week 60 - 80 week plan that I'm thinking of using for Chicago.  It has several 20 milers.  Remember, these plans have nothing against the longer runs;  it just states that a long run shouldn't be more than 30% of one's weekly mileage, so as one increases the weekly mileage one can also increase the long run distance.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I have the 12/16/20 week plans and all three have 20 milers in them. Pi created a hybrid of book/16 wk plan as i like the srides and build-up days.

I'm using the purchased Hanson 20 week 40 - 60 week plan and it has several 18 mile long runs.  I also tend to do a slow 6 mile or so run on Wednesdays, the SRDs.

I also just purchased the Hanson 20 week 60 - 80 week plan that I'm thinking of using for Chicago.  It has several 20 milers.  Remember, these plans have nothing against the longer runs;  it just states that a long run shouldn't be more than 30% of one's weekly mileage, so as one increases the weekly mileage one can also increase the long run distance.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

I read the book but I forgot, does the book have the plans with the 20 milers?  The book I have is their newest one.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Yeah, I know that some of the other plans have 20 milers but the plan I am using does not. And they specifically give instructions as to how to add mileage and say not to add it to the long run.

Ball of Fury

Docket,

The advanced plan in the book does not include 20-mile runs, only 16 milers.  But the max weekly mileage is 63 miles, so a 20- miler would still be too large a percentage of weekly mileage per the Hanson's.  In the back of the book, it does include a plan that Luke Humphrey used and he does several 20s but he also runs up to 134 mpw!!

I read the book but I forgot, does the book have the plans with the 20 milers?  The book I have is their newest one.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Where did you get these plans, jedi?

I have the 12/16/20 week plans and all three have 20 milers in them. Pi created a hybrid of book/16 wk plan as i like the srides and build-up days.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Yeah, I know that some of the other plans have 20 milers but the plan I am using does not. And they specifically give instructions as to how to add mileage and say not to add it to the long run.

I think you'll be fine if you just stick to the plan in the book. I mean, it's in the book for a reason, right?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I have my sources.Smile You can buy them off their coaching site for $14.95 each. 12/16/20 mileage maxs out at 80mpw making 20m LR right in the 25-30% of week.

Where did you get these plans, jedi?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Thanks.  I'm abusing Walter this time around but I want to try it out in 2014.

I have my sources.Smile You can buy them off their coaching site for $14.95 each. 12/16/20 mileage maxs out at 80mpw making 20m LR right in the 25-30% of week.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

DetroitTigerFan

Indiana - you're on your 2nd or 3rd pfitz cycle, right ?  How did you decide what paces to use for your second cycle - did you just start off with the same paces where you ended after your first training cycle ?  did you just go off of heart rate for your second cycle? did you use online paces?

I'm only a once a year racer - so my current performance has fallen back since my race in October (as I expected to happen). I'm wondering if i need a March or April 10K to re-calibrate where I should start my pace planning. My miles slowly will come back from now until June. Last year i used McMillian paces based on current performance. So, since that website got a little more aggresive I'm questioning what I should really do.  If i use pure Pfitz paces based on the book, they appear easier than the old McMillian website. I have to figure this out

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Rusk Runner

DTF - Thats a hard question to answer without getting beat up too much but let me try.  This is my second cycle using Pfitz 18/55.  First time through, I was riding on the edge of overtraining/injury most of the time till taper.  It made me a stronger runner and after a good recovery I was running faster and stronger.  Utilizing some heart rate data, and where I THINK I can improve my fitness lever to, I plugged in some short race data into McMillan and his calculator says I can run 26.2 faster than what my goal is.  So I plugged in my goal time, and loosely use the paces that he recommends for that goal time.

I cannot take HR too seriously for alot of my runs because the terrain I run is going to elevate my HR for the duration of my run.  I mostly pay attention to HR on recovery runs as I think it is critical to success to get that rest.

This time through Pfitz I have pretty much been able to nail all of the workouts without overtraining or hurting myself.  I had to skip one LR much earlier due to illness, but other than that I am feeling much stronger.  Dont get me wrong, I am tired right now.  I did my peak week at 61 miles instead of 55.

Its tough being your own coach.  I worry sometimes that I might be overestimating what I will be capable of on raceday.  I guess its a gamble no matter who you are or what you do.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Been tinkering with my Hanson plan and was thinking of maybe doing all the tempo miles at HMP up to my HM on 9/15 and then switching to MP after the HM for Philly. What do you guys think?

Up Next:

???