Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

onemile

DTF - I'm doing Hansons. I'm on the second week right now.  You summed it up pretty well.  It emphasizes more quality over doing a long run and spreading the mileage more evenly throughout the week so any workout is not more important than the others.  Lots of MP miles and then each week there is an additional workout of intervals at 5k pace.  Halfway through the plan this workout is replaced with strength runs (which are MP-10 seconds per mile).

Josh - sounds like the wise chose

Sprinkle - managemnt sounds like thge keyt to longevity

ap$ - welcome, make good with a run photo so we can see your shining face CoolWELCOME either way

Cbus & Indi - the LAunch got 8 miles on them today and I am sooo pleased with the shoes. ( insert a deep satisfied sigh )

OneTime - great 8 , thats the 8 mile motto i have, seems to be a standardow when not in a cycle for me

DTF - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year back atcha

2Foot - sounds like a win in my book.

MDawg - safe than sorry for sure

Banshee - i was bouncing off the walls driving my wife crazy the past couple of weeks while i was on injury reserve.

Docket - your asthma seems like a test in patience

My day

1  8:27.9 1.00 8:28
      2 8:57.7 1.00 8:58
      3 8:46.7 1.00 8:47
      4 9:11.4 1.00 9:11
      5 8:59.7 1.00 9:00
      6 8:37.6 1.00 8:38
      7 8:36.7 1.00 8:37
      8 7:50.7 1.00 7:51

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Sprinkles, hope you find the answer.

DTF, hi!  Humidity is being high but thanks for thinking of me!  Hope everything is going well with you.

Thanks, guys.  2012 had so many ups and downs (I made a blog post if you care to read) that I just want it to be OVER!  I might never belong to this group and never break 4 hours but at least I'm racing marathons and upright!  Lots of improvement from January of this year.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

DTF - good to see you around again.  I start Hansons in three weeks, doing more of their beginner plan and 18 weeks have 837 miles total once you add warm-ups and cool-downs.  Two biggest reasons for picking it, only 5 runs of 2+ hours for me and my paces, big deal with the amount of cold weather I have up here.  Two hours seems to be my limit, I just sweat too much and my layering just kinda gives way at that time.  Second is to teach me how to run my goal pace.  Guess if you can hit their assigned paces throughout training, you should in theory hit your goal MP.

TFS - Nice week

mdawg - sorry to hear your still having troubles

Me - 8 easy miles outside at 10:44.  Was comfortable until about mile 7 then got real cold when the wind starting picking up so finished last mile at 10:00 to get back to my car.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

The roads were snowed in, so I got in 5.35 running around my neighborhood.

Regarding the Jan thread, sure, I can start it. And then I'll close this thread. So if you wanna post to this thread, you gotta get it in by 11:59:59 Dec. 31.

Regarding Hansons v Pfitz, personally, I think the differences go far beyond the points brought up by DTF (welcome back!). DTF, we've had a ton of discussion, and I don't really wanna rehash it. But I will say, the perception that Hansons emphasizes quality over quantity is not correct. If you average 40 mpw for the first few weeks of the Beginners plan, it averages more miles per week than Pfitz, has a higher peak, and higher total miles. As far as not having a midweek long run, I disagree again. It may seem like they don't have a midweek long run because of that Speed/Strength and Tempo day looks deceiving. Once you count warmup, cool down, rest between intervals, those runs are like 10-14 miles long.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

I am looking forward to the January thread.  New beginnings and all!  Nice run.

Hey all,

Regarding the Jan thread, sure, I can start it. And then I'll close this thread. So if you wanna post to this thread, you gotta get it in by 11:59:59 Dec. 31.

Regarding Hansons v Pfitz, personally, I think the differences go far beyond the points brought up by DTF (welcome back!). DTF, we've had a ton of discussion, and I don't really wanna rehash it. But I will say, the perception that Hansons emphasizes quality over quantity is not correct. If you average 40 mpw for the first few weeks of the Beginners plan, it averages more miles per week than Pfitz, has a higher peak, and higher total miles. As far as not having a midweek long run, I disagree again. It may seem like they don't have a midweek long run because of that Speed/Strength and Tempo day looks deceiving. Once you count warmup, cool down, rest between intervals, those runs are like 10-14 miles long.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

That's why I think discussions like the Hanson v. Pfitz should be in a separate thread.  So we can find it later.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

By the way, DTF, in case you were wondering, Onemile is female.

Which brings me to the QOTD, so I thought Onemile was male, and Dreamn thought I was female, then male, then female, then male again. Has this happened to anyone else?

Regarding yesterday's QOTD, thanks everyone for talking about their favorite races. As promised, there is a bonus for everyone who didn't cite a PR, and that bonus is: you get to eat whatever you want from now until the New Year WITHOUT gaining any of the calories!

onemile

Here is a good breakdown that shows the amount of quality work in both plans:

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2012/12/hansons-marathon-method-and-pfitzingers.html

When I compare the two plans, I'm looking at Hansons Advanced and Pfitz 18/70.  I think the Pfitz plans ends up being about 5-10 mpw more but the number of quality miles (see chart in the link above) is much higher in the Hansons plan, particularly MP miles.

Hey all,

DetroitTigerFan

One mile and josh - thanks for the feedback on Hansons.  I just train for one fall marathon, so i'll be following you and others doing Hansons for races coming up in the next 5 months or so. I'll be especially interested in folks who have done Pfitz and have converted to Hansons for 2013. (I still plan on Pfitz for myself, but will be flexible to possibly change over to Hansons before my cycle starts,etc)

cbus - thanks for the info. I know i missed alot of posts and appreciate your thoughts - i still am in the early parts of the Hansons book. Another master thread like docket noted would be cool

regarding the QOTD - lol - i actually thought mdawg was a guy at first.  Her avatar at RWOL had a picture of a guy and gal.  In my mind I guess I assumed she was the dude (sorry mdawg) - LOL. Then when she started referring to her DH in her posts...and before I raised my eyebrow, i realized my mistake ! Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

akalei

Geez, guys... I go MIA for 36 hours and come back to 4 pages of stuff I've missed. In the words of whatshisface from the sandlot, you're killin' me, smalls!

sprinkles: I hope you're feeling better! I'm watching something borrowed right now and the NYC lawyers made me think of you! Haha

nachos: congrats!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

akalei

Geez, guys... I go MIA for 36 hours and come back to 4 pages of stuff I've missed. In the words of whatshisface from the sandlot, you're killin' me, smalls!

sprinkles: I hope you're feeling better! I'm watching something borrowed right now and the NYC lawyers made me think of you! Haha

nachos: congrats!

akalei

P.S. sorry for the double post. Darn iPad!

Smashy!!!

That's why I think discussions like the Hanson v. Pfitz should be in a separate thread.  So we can find it later.

So start the thread already.

anyone seen SRamaley lately?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27