Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Smashy!!!

Oh yeah, another about dogs...they aren't even the real problem. The real problem is Canadian Geese! Those suckers are ornery! Can someone get them on a leash?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Canuck

Morning all.  Wasn't online all weekend basically, was watching football, doing household chores and dinner and a movie with a friend.  Didn't run both days, kind of flaked out.  I had 6 scheduled for Saturday but by the time the football was over I just didn't feel like it as I'd already done spin class and personal training that morning.  Then on Sunday, was going to do my easy 8 at around 5, but my friend lured me out with dinner and a movie.  Oh well, to be honest, I'm not all that sad about it!  Anyway, back on track today with an easy 6 after work.

Congratulations on your marathon ami!  Sorry to hear your ITBS flared up during the race.  Make sure you rest and get it treated.  I usually take a full week off of running, but I'm back to activity like spinning within 3 days or so.

Great job on the Goofy Docket!

Hi everyone else - I did read, but I can't comment on the last 5 pages.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Docket_Rocket

You guys have been super chatty!  And I actually read everything!

I don't take a week off after a marathon (I would be taking 6-7 weeks off a year if I do, but at least 2 days of complete rest from running is what I do.  I do other things that week, kickboxing, weights, yoga, and run something between 15-25 miles depending on the race and the effort.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Good afternoon!

Dogs... Don't mind them as long as the don't run up to me or chase me.  Well even then, I don't mind if they are friendly.  On the trail I run, people often walk their dogs offleash and when they see me coming, they will stop and make their dogs sit until I pass by.  Often I tell them it's okay to let their dogs go and continue walking.  I don't mind at all.  Now, a couple times I have been charged by a loose dog in someone's yard. That's another story and a little scary.

Canadian geese.  Yes, they make me more nervous than dogs.  Big grin  All that hissing and they typically outnumber you.

Resting after a marathon.  I took three days off after mine.  I ended up getting injured like 4-5 weeks after the marathon though. I think next time around I'll get back into things more slowly. (remind me of this in April please).

Zoe - now I feel better about missing my easy run on Friday. Thank you.  Joking

Cbus - Yes I pretty much only run in Brooks Adrenaline.  I can get away with Mizuno Nirvana too (I've run up to 14 in them and they are OK).  Nice job on the intervals.  That 12x400 is the one I skipped because of my calf.  I didn't miss it too badly.  Smile

cmb - glad your cold is getting better.  mine is too.  SLOWLY.

akalei - your dog looks like a sweetie!

Me - easy 6 miles planned for tonight.  Going to enjoy it because the rest of my week looks not easy.

After Chicago last year, my runs the rest of the week were as follows:

Mon: 10:03  easy

Tue:   0.00 (too sore)

Wed:  4.27 picked up the pace a bit

Thu: 4.12  bit slower than yesterday

Fri: 6.20   easy

Sat: 3.99  pulled the plug on the run.  Thought I was getting a cramp.

Sun:  Started Hansons' schedule for the Shamrock.

White Lightning

cmb – Wow, 17 is no fun on the TM, even with football

Funny, living in Canada I've never had an encounter with Canadian geese. However the hawks are crazy around my house, that's why I have to run in town instead of out in the country where I live. I used to think they were bluffing when they dive bombed but one day I thought someone hit me in the head with a rock but it was the hawk, hurt like a mother. Explained why I saw this guy running with a 6' stick down the dirt road. Its all teritorial and are all spaced around 1/8 of a mile apart.

Me – Brutal 6 miles on the TM @ 10:39 and 1% incline. Just didn't want to run but got it in. Ankle a bit sore after

He is not a runner but sure is a swimmer, we go to the river everyday when its warm enough for him.  Unfortuantly I'm allergic to dogs as well, just can't bare to not have him around

Play the Game Hard!

nachosgrande

Ami - Sorry to hear about the tough finish.  Way to gut it out though.

Ran my longest run in three months on Saturday - 8.5 miles at 8:25/mi.  The run felt great but now my left leg is swollen and beat up again.  I've so far been able to manage the shin splint issues with lots of foam rolling, stretching, compression socks, ice and ibuprofen, but I'm still worried I'm just going to eventually run myself into a stress fracture.  Frustrating as I was able to run for five years without any real issues until last summer's marathon training.  It's as if I've opened up Pandora's injury box.

This is Scout. He is about 4 months in this pic but now around 6 months. He will be leashed because he is too young and excitable. Part Blue Heeler and part Jask Russell they think. My youngest son giving him hug, whether Scout wants it or not.

Josh, handsome lab. 10 years old?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Trail Monster

Thanks for the replies all. If I ever come off like a jerk please just say so!

Dogs- Our city has leash laws and I expect them to be obeyed. When I see people with dogs off leash I get angry because its all too easy for a cyclist or runner to be tripped or nipped in an instant. Our recreational trail is about three people wide so any lateral movement from the lane of travel can cause a collision. I have had people who have their dogs on a long leash and don't reel them in as I go by. If the dog gets within arms reach of me I yell, "Hey!" To get the owners attention and startle the dog away. And I'm a dog lover. Our two are never off leash except at the dog park and I always keep them close.

4.5 miles at 4-8% incline on the treadmill. My treadmill maxes out at 10% so I may have to resort to wooden blocks under it soon!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Rusk Runner

Banshee - Just visited your blog site.  Neat.  When I get more time I will read through the whole thing.  How did you get into that sort of thing exactly?

Sprinkles - Cant wait to see your log grow.  You start your first round with Pfitz on tomorrow, No?

Nice dogs all of you.   I dont know how to paste photos in here or I would have posted some rather funny photos of our dogs after a particulary successful racoon hunt in the creek.

Nachos - what do you attribute most to the onset of the swelling.  Distance?  Speed?  Both?  Sorry to hear about the recurrance.

Rode through my normal morning route today and about 1/3 of a mile is still underwater.  But the rest has no puddles that may cause me slip on ice, which is good news.  I will be on the road at  0300 or just a tad earlier for my tempo run.  Whos with me?!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- Your dog is so cute !!!

Rollcast- Your dog too ! i just love fluffs.

Here's my guy...

Harry's a 10 lb shih-zu/poodle mix rescue that we got at 12 wks...he is one now.

Indi- I will be starting Round 1 of Pfitz tomorrow! 8 mi with 4 mi at marathon pace!

Me- I've got a few pics from my epic slow "race"...I did not break a sweat.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

If you guys keep posting pics of your dogs, I might steal them, because I want them all!

Hope everybody has a nice night.  I just did a whole lot of nothing!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

II managed 4 at an average pace of 8:49. Still focusing on shorter runs to strengthen my foot and train my stride. Seems to be progressing.

Donuts, no but I did make quick work of not one but two pieces of German chocolate cake.  But hey it was my birthday so it doesn't count right!

cheers !

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Happy Birthday Roll!  Hope you enjoyed your cake.

Nice pics Sprinkles, and welcome to the mad, mad world that is Pfitz 18/55.  Let us know how your workout goes today.

So how do I post pics?

Got my tempo done just a few minutes ago.  Tempo portion was just a little fast again and I will need to fix this next Friday.  5 miles warmup and cool down @9:02 avg.  5 miles tempo @ 7:24 avg.  It was 17 deg out and my freaking eyeballs feel like they were frozen.  I definately had ice on my eyelashes and eyebrows.  I wonder if some clear glasses would make that any better.

Suggestions?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

The best way I've found is to find the link address of the pic in my FB albums (the jpeg link) and use the tree icon ^^ to add it as a link.

Happy Birthday Roll!  Hope you enjoyed your cake.

Nice pics Sprinkles, and welcome to the mad, mad world that is Pfitz 18/55.  Let us know how your workout goes today.

So how do I post pics?

Got my tempo done just a few minutes ago.  Tempo portion was just a little fast again and I will need to fix this next Friday.  5 miles warmup and cool down @9:02 avg.  5 miles tempo @ 7:24 avg.  It was 17 deg out and my freaking eyeballs feel like they were frozen.  I definately had ice on my eyelashes and eyebrows.  I wonder if some clear glasses would make that any better.

Suggestions?

Damaris

Fundraising Page