Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Not gonna fix all those Tight lipped faces.  Roll eyes

nachosgrande

Indiana - Awesome post.  Please feel free to ramble on...

Cbus - agree that onemile should lock in MP based on the 15k (didnt realize she had a time trial on the horizon).  Then if the pace doesn't fit, you must adjust it.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

indi - nice ramble! I enjoyed it.

cbus - I've taken same approach with my 2 HM's this spring. My first one in March I am shooting for a sub1:38 as my PR is 1:39 and course is hilly. That will set me up for  a sub 1:35 in May. If my recent 5k is any indication I think both very doable.

Loving this MP convo though. Good stuff!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

akalei

Cmb: I don't have much valuable input except my own experience, which isn't too dissimilar to yours.  HM PR is 1:48, 5K PR is 23:28, and I went from a 4:28 marathon in March last year to 3:51 in October, on Pfitz 18/55.  I say I don't have much valuable input because I don't have a HR monitor (*gasp*) and just pay attention to how my body feels.  You've been running long enough that you know your own limits.  And you've said it yourself that if you end up with a 4:19, fine, but I think--know--you can most likely go sub-4.

I still don't know anything about Hansons, so I have zero input there.  Sorry.

Braycon: Kind of looking for whatever, but since I don't have a written contract for my clerkship, so I don't have an official "you're finished" date (supposed to be late August), I still have some room to be picky.

Just got back from 5 on the DM (I like that!)... talked a girlfriend into joining me, so it wasn't too bad.  Easy 5-6 tomorrow and 14 Sunday.  Woohoo!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

onemile

Yes, I am planning to do a 15k race Feb 9th, provided the weather isn't terrible Smile

Cbus - agree that onemile should lock in MP based on the 15k (didnt realize she had a time trial on the horizon).  Then if the pace doesn't fit, you must adjust it.

LCanida

LC Runs

Really? Because we're not talking about modifying a plan here. We're talking about selecting a MP to use for MP pace runs in a plan.

And by "they" are you referring to me?

No, I just think that if you select a pace (MP) which is obviously faster, longer miles,  then you should follow it and not push yourself beyond. I'm just precautious, that's all.  Everyone's body is different, and recovers differently.  Just listen to yours, and if you can push push, if not back off.

LCanida

LC Runs

I don't run HR montior either, but i'm thinking about using mine and getting into playing around with it soon.

Runs area always better with a friend!!

Cmb: I don't have much valuable input except my own experience, which isn't too dissimilar to yours.  HM PR is 1:48, 5K PR is 23:28, and I went from a 4:28 marathon in March last year to 3:51 in October, on Pfitz 18/55.  I say I don't have much valuable input because I don't have a HR monitor (*gasp*) and just pay attention to how my body feels.  You've been running long enough that you know your own limits.  And you've said it yourself that if you end up with a 4:19, fine, but I think--know--you can most likely go sub-4.

I still don't know anything about Hansons, so I have zero input there.  Sorry.

Braycon: Kind of looking for whatever, but since I don't have a written contract for my clerkship, so I don't have an official "you're finished" date (supposed to be late August), I still have some room to be picky.

Just got back from 5 on the DM (I like that!)... talked a girlfriend into joining me, so it wasn't too bad.  Easy 5-6 tomorrow and 14 Sunday.  Woohoo!

Rusk Runner

Onemile - ahh the infamous marathon #1.  When I toed the line I had been running for a grand total of 10 months.  In that ten months I ran 2 5Ks, my first Half, and a time trial half.  I was using Higdon Novice II with some added miles here and there and running a short tempo every week,  The plan was light, but not for the amount of time I had invested as a runner.  I thought I was going to run a 3:50, but the temps were high, my pacers were banking, and I was by no means ready for 3:50.  I figured this out at mile marker 22.  I didnt lose too much time, and I still managed my true goal of sub 4 but I was ashamed of the style with which it was done.

It keeps getting easier as far as my body is concerned.  I can see, feel, and prove the gains since then.  Dont get me wrong about the getting easier.  I think we all have to train outside of our comfort zones and I do push myself.  I have 16 scheduled with 12 @ GMP this Sunday.  You can almost bet I am going to be 5 to 10 seconds faster than GMP.  Ask me again Sunday how I feel about MP.

Cbus - I dont think you sound like a nay-sayer, you just have a slightly differing opinion than some, and the same opinon as some others.  You da man.  And I am still so happy to see you getting all the miles in.

Got 3 done in 30 minutes today to make up for the 3 I lost Wednesday night.  It was a refreshing run.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Happy February Donuts!  Still at the office so quick fly by for me.  Haven't read the last January posts yet, much less this new thread.  Will try to get back in tonight.  Anyway, strength training, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Was watching the weather while on the bike and saw some of you had single digit temps with negative windchills.  Brrr...stay warm all!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Was the 13 at 1:55 an easy run or a tempo run?  Because if it was just a training, your 1:46 is breakable.  I run 13 miles in 2:24 and I can run a race at 2:05 and not even pushing it.  YMMV.

But I agree with Cbus, you need another race or recent number to confirm your MP.  I don't do Hanson so I don't know how the MP in that plan feels like.

Banshee - It's not a do or die race per say. I have another marathon tentatively planned for fall. But I would rather blow up than finish it feeling like I did in my last one.  Ideally of course, I would suffer a ton but not blow up Smile

Those who mentioned Heart Rate Monitors... Ugh, yuck, no. I am really not wanting to use one.

indiana - I appreciate all your comments.  What was your training like for marathon #1 and to what do you attribute your ability to not hit your goal time?

cmb- that makes sense.   I also should have a PR even if I totally screw things up so I do want to run more aggressively than if it were my first.

Cbus - with half marathon training, I went into it with a goal of 1:55 (My PR was 1:59Tight lippedx) and by the end of the cycle I ran a 1:46Tight lippedx.  And last night my 13.1x mile training run was 1:55 Smile  I know I can't expect that kind of improvement to continue though.  I guess it's hard to think in terms of incremental improvement because I haven't run one for awhile but I do want to run one in line with my PRs.  If my half PR is 1:46Tight lippedx still in April, I definitely wouldn't try to run faster than 3:50.  But if I would run a 1:44 or something I would expect myself to do better than 3:50. It's not really about it being a respectable time or anything. It's more that I want a time that lines up with my abilities.  Which to me means somewhere in that double HM plus 15-20 minute range (I'm not sure I buy the McMillian plus 12 theory... which I guess would be double HM plus 23 minutes for me).  That seems more conservative than I'd like to be.  I think we have a very different view on this because of how our first marathons turned out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 miles @ 9:35 (I think). It was really cold out, so I'm glad I went ahead and bought the Bacalava. It was really hard to run those miles today. I'm thinking the cold has something to do with it. Maybe it doesn't allow your muscles to loosen up? In any case, today was tough.

And oh yeah, 5 pages on day 1 of the month has to be a group PR or something.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Onemile, I already feel bad for naysaying you so much. So I think you should just ignore all my talk. But I'm getting the sense that you are saying two opposite things. On one hand, I hear you say that you know that you cannot run 26.2 @ 8:30. On the other hand, when it's suggested to lower your goal, you say that you'll improve to run 26.2 @ 8:30. Well, if you are sure that you'll improve by the end of the cycle, then just stick to it.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Canuck

I don't have time to weigh in on all the debate about picking GMP, although I would say that based on onemile's training logs, I think she should stick with 8:30 - 8:35 pace and then go for it on race day unless something unexpected derails training.  I do think McMillan plus 12 is quite conservative, I was at McMillan plus 5 for my last marathon - he predicted 3:46 based on my half, I ran just under 3:51.  My goal pace for the race was 3:48, so I certainly didn't blow up and that was on a lot less mileage than onemile is putting in right now (38 MPW).  My half PR at the time was 1:47:11.  Trust your training.

ETA: Where the heck did my avatar go?

ETA2: NM, managed to fix it.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

onemile

indiana - thanks for sharing. That is a very nice first marathon time for the amount of time you have been running, even though it may not have been the best executed race.

Damaris - yeaaaaah it was a tempo (MP) run - and I did my wu/cd too fast again. Whoops.

Cbus - Don't feel bad. I want opinions and I'm asking for them!  I guess I want to push it in training but I would never be that stupid in the race unless I found by the end of the training cycle I got much faster. Does that make sense?

zoekat - Thanks for the input. McMillian plus 5 is pretty good. I'd be thrilled with that.

7 easy paced miles done in feels like -11 and windy.  Brrrrrrr!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

onemile:  You're on week 7, so I think as you progress and get more data points like your upcoming race, you'll have a better idea of whether a GMP of 8:30 is doable.  FWIW, I ran my PR at McMillan plus 8; my half PR was 1:43:49, he predicted a 3:38, I ran a 3:46 and change and probably left 5 minutes or so on the course.   As for improving over the course of training, you seem to be hitting all of your workouts, so you will improve.  It is what Indy said, that as novice runners, we can improve by leaps with consistent training.  And, I don't envy your weather.  I just finished my run in 25F, feels like 15F.  Which for DC is bitterly cold. Smile

Me:  7.3 @ 9:00.  Cold and wind, which isn't fun.  I felt like I needed a balaclava/baklava; my face feels a bit windburned on one side.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33