Sub-4 Marathon Group

Chambersburg Half Marathon RR (Read 23 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Chambersburg Half Marathon Race Report – March 9, 2013

After my last marathon not going as planned last fall in Harrisburg, I decided I was going to take a backseat to the distance and focus on getting faster this spring at shorter distances and really focus on my speed specifically at half marathon distance. Spring marathons have not been kind to me to begin with a PW the last 2 springs. Been there, done that, and got the race shirt.Smile lol One step back to take two steps forward.

Been following a Daniels 5k-15k training plan from his book Running Formula. Three quality days a week most weeks and a major step up in training for me from anything I have done in the past three years of running. Training has gone well and definitely notice a difference in my fitness with the training and keeping my mileage consistent in the mid-50 mile range.

The Chambersburg Half was my first ever race three years ago and one that is really special to me here in my hometown of Chambersburg. Really missed this race last year due to a DC marathon the week after (See PW marathon above-lol) Comes at a good point in schedule in my effort to get faster and see where I am at for a May half as well.Set a goal of a sub1:38, but recent weeks of training told me maybe a 1:35 was possible and that was what I would shoot for

Race day arrived and had a good 10-day taper for race and confident the hard work of Daniels would payoff in Chambersburg. Did not sleep too well waking up every couple of hours not being able to contain my excitement for race day. Followed my normal race day routine got dressed and head off to start. Love that this race is in my backyard with a short 5 minute drive to start.

Arrived at race, picked up my packet and chatted with a few running friends and pinned my bib number on. Ran my routine warm-up mile with a couple of fellow runners and was ready to run yet another Chambersburg Half.

Race started promptly at 8:30 and inched my way toward front of field. Listened to race director go over some pre-race stuff and race started and I was off.

Mile 1 – 7:10 - just trying to settle in and get in a groove. Plan was to start race at &;30, but best laid plans sometimes just don't work out. Start has a BIG downhill for first .4m or so. Last time I raced fast first mile too at 7:15, so there is a precedent there.

Mile 2 – 7:20 – settled in nicely with a 7:20 mile as we gradually climb up to worst hills of the course up Henry Road.

Mile 3 – 7:37 – kinda expected a slower mile for Mile 3 with finishing climb up Henry before the downhill before turning on Springview Rd. with biggest climb with a 3-5% grade. Felt good passing people walking up this hill. Mile 3 pretty much ends at Mile 3 marker and next mile has a big downhill for about 0.5m or so.

Mile 4 – 6:58 – Woah Nellie! Slow down there Billy!Smile BIG downhill for most of the mile and then turns on to a nice flat stretch. Feeling good and warmed up at this point and made up for slow Mile 3.

Mile 5 – 7:20 – mostly small rollers with couple minor climbs. Stayed on pace and feeling really good.

Mile 6 – 7:27 – a little slower than I liked. Hit half-way (6.55m) mark 47:45.

Mile 7 – 7:20 – this is a tough part of course with out back stretch. Out mostly downhill and back big strecthes of uphill which spills over to next mile. Kept moving and feeling good.

Mile 8 – 7:27 – lots of uphill with tail-end of out and back stretch. Kept pushing forward as fatigue starting to set in a bit.

Mile 9 – 7:25 – small rollers for most part and kept pushing and digging a little deeper to keep pace close

Mile 10 – 7:40 – worst split of race as course gets back on Springview which is a long climb up to biggest hill. Calves felt a little tight at this point, but pushed thru just focusing on keeping legs moving. Knew once I hit crest f hill remainder of race mostly down hill.

Mile 11 – 7:21 – hit crest of hill and got a good downhill to push me up Henry the last real uphill of race. Slight downhill as I hit Mile 11 marker. Time to drop the hammer with 2 miles to go.

Mile 12 – 7:12 – gave all I had left with some rollers, but course mostly downhill from here on out.

Mile 13 – 7:12 – another goods plit giving it all I had left with end in sight and small climb as we neared finish.

Last .1 – 6:32 -  finish line in sight and gave it one last kick and hit finish at 1:36:22. Ecstatic I finished with time I did and yelled out a big scream as I got my finisher medal. Another Chambersburg Half in the books and I could not be happier. An almost 4 minute PR (3:40), 4th in the 40-44AG with overall 7:21 avg pace. 17 second per mile improvement. No one passed me after Mile 5 except for one guy around Mile 9. Guess all that quality is paying off

Kinda can't believe I ran that course that fast. It's got me encouraged for Frederick in May as well as when I toe that marathon line again this fall. That's getting way ahead of things though, but can’t help but be a little giddy about what this fall might bring. For time being just gonna enjoy this new PR for the moment. A PR I felt I should have had last fall. I have no regrets though stepping away from the marathon this spring and probably should have done this a few years back. I have 8 weeks until Frederick and still have lot of work to do. I know I have faster time in me just based off this race today. Do Work. Get Faster!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Congratulations!  All that hard work has paid off.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Do work. Get faster. Huge donuts to you! Awesome splits. You earned this. But I like how you are already looking forward--never settle.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Awesome race, jedi!  Congrats!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

DetroitTigerFan

Jedi - congrats on the race. Had a few questions for my learning:

- that pace is awesome. I wish i could do that - my best last year for a half was holding 8:18. Any training thoughts to get increased speed while training for a marathon in the longer term (fall) ?

- what happened in the past to make you want to focus on speed in your recent training? when many people have tough marathons, they always say endurance is the issue and run more miles slowly in training. So, i'm curious

- when you broke 4, what plan did you use, how many times did it take to break it ?

thanks and congrats again !!!!

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Ball of Fury

Congratulations Jedi!!  All that hard work paid off and you ran a great race on what sounds like a tough course!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Your hard work has paid off with an awesome time!  Can't wait to see how you do in the rest of your races this year. Congrats again!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

DTF - nice questions. i think biggest thing over anything else is just being consistent with the training and mileage. First time i ran this race i was barely running 3+ months and ran it in 2:14. i was barely runnign 25mpw back then. I built my base to 35-40mpw that summer as i prepare to run my first marathon at MCM. Ran RnR VAB Half that September in 1;51 just with increasing mileage no quality runnign my first year. After MCM training for my 2nd marathon ran Cburg again and ran it in 1:41. Just adding in quality (intervals/tempos) and runnign lots of hills I just got faster, but still a newbie runer with lot of improvement to be gained yet.

-Last year was a tough year for me. Ran RnR USA last spring. Hurt my ankle early in race and it was 75 deg in March. I was gong for a 3:40 and ended up with PW 4:25. let ankle heal and focused on a June half using a Hudson plan. i had a great cycle and got faster as I ranh 2 5k's that cycle with back-to-back PR/AG wins taking 2min off my PR. 2 days before half I got pneunomia and DNS the race and did not run for nearly a month. Worked with a coach for my fall marathon. i had another great cycle, but did not hit my 3;30 goal as i dealt with blisters from my shoes not being broken in and problem with my socks.i still PR'd with a 3;47, but disappointed with another marathon disaster, so decided I wnated to focus on really improving my fitness.

-Took me my third marathon to break 4:00. After my 2nd marathon which was another disaster  4;22. i picked  a goal which was over my head and course was really hilly. bad cramps mile 14 and ran/walked last 7m. Built my base to 55-60mpw that summer and at time was not running fall marathon. Just a half. decided to last minute just put together something myself with help from a friend. Mileage was 55mpw and PR's with 3;51.

Sorry for long answer, but bottomline is getting in miles and having a good base and rest takes care of itself.

Jedi - congrats on the race. Had a few questions for my learning:

- that pace is awesome. I wish i could do that - my best last year for a half was holding 8:18. Any training thoughts to get increased speed while training for a marathon in the longer term (fall) ?

- what happened in the past to make you want to focus on speed in your recent training? when many people have tough marathons, they always say endurance is the issue and run more miles slowly in training. So, i'm curious

- when you broke 4, what plan did you use, how many times did it take to break it ?

thanks and congrats again !!!!

cbus - that's my problem. I'm never 100% happy.Smile Never settle indeed!

AmiK - you don't know the half of it. First year ran it in intermittent rain and 20mph wind with 40mph gusts. That was fun!Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Awesome race!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

nachosgrande

Wow!  Great race, Jedi! Congrats on the well-earned PR! Big grin