Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Well, I'll be joining Indi Friday for an ortho appt. I've been wrestling with shin pain on my right inner shin. Probably just a shin splint but my calves are getting really tight so I am hoping he will give me a referral for a Chiro. Shin was bothering me for a couple of days last week so I ran  in and slept in compression sleeves fo a couple of days and it seemed better until the past couple of runs With today's having pain the entire run. Usually the pain goes away after the first couple hundred yards. Boooo!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Roll - Sorry if I passed any bad karma your way.  But it sounds like its gonna be a quick fix.  Pain that goes away after a couple hundred yards  for me is pain that I deal with after a couple hundred yards if you know what I mean.  You are doing the right thing.  Hope all goes well at Ortho.

LOL on the gym stories.

And everybody, thanks for the support of the down and out.  It helps a bunch.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - intervals are not bad on TM. I guess you'll not want to hear about my workout today as I did 8.1m on TM on account of t-storms here in Greenville. 25 min  progressive tempo in the middle. #doworkgetfaster Ran a good 6.3 yesterday on an awesome trail here. jealous i dont have something like that back home. hang in there with injury there. You'll come back even stronger!

Jedi:  Nice workout...not sure I have the patience for that many intervals on the TM!

Welcome back Flinders.

Meeting this am and then back to PA. Glad to go back but it has been a productive trip. Good running all!

indi - I wear compression socks after LRs now and really helps legs.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Sprinkles, WTF!  I would cancel and use that as an excuse (they changed the terms of the contract on you and you never agreed to it).

Morning!

Doubles day!  6 this morning and more with hubby later.  Weights too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Rollcast, sorry about your shin.  Hope it gets better.

Hello to all the rest!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Been feeling run down this week and decided to sell a house we were renting (couldn't sell it when we moved because the market was so down) and it has resulted in an unplanned step back week. Took Mon and Tues off, and was able to get out for 5 miles yesterday. Thought I would feel rested, but even after 2 days off my legs felt like lead. Hopefully this afternoon's run will be better, the temp has dropped and it should be in the mid 50s and cloudy, not good for much except running.

Indi - With your soleus pain, I know you are a no heel drop guy, but have you tried shoes with more heel as a temporary measure? It might put less strain on the soleus and let you get some easy runs in.

Ami - hopefully you get some good info from your appointment. I know the unknown is the most frustrating thing

Roll - So you are saying that usually the pain goes away quickly, but lately it hasn't? Hopefully it isn't anything that will take some time to get better. Wings/Hawks - I feel conflicted when I read the complaints about the Red Wings physical play/clutching and grabbing, where the Hawks want to let their skill players skate. That sounds just like the complaints that the Red Wings have had not too recently.

Jedi - Nice TM running

Docket - nice hot weather running as always

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

mdawg87

Good morning!  I opted to just run 7 easy miles this morning.  Just wasn't feeling the speedwork at 5 am.  I toyed with going to the track (yes, at 5 am) as school is now out for the summer, but there were spotty rain showers around and I didn't feel like getting rained on in the dark.  If I could just wait until 6 am, it would be light enough.  I'm going to have to figure this out.  Maybe I'll get up at the same time and do a little work before running.  That way I won't be behind when I get to the office.  Hmmm...I like the sound of that.

Sprinkles:  Good lord...find somewhere else to go and cancel that membership.  Meathead deserves a Darwin Award.

Roll:  Good call on seeing the chiro.  Nip it in the bud before it gets serious.  I'm thinking of going to my sports doc next week just to get checked out prior to the heart of marathon training.  A little preventative Graston might be a good thing.  Looking forward to the game tonight.  The Blackhawks star players need to show up tonight.

Jedi/AmiK:  I like TM intervals and speework.  You don't have to worry about hitting the paces.

Nick:  Hope your legs freshen up.  Nice profit on the house I hope!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Jedi/AmiK:  I like TM intervals and speework.  You don't have to worry about hitting the paces.

My problem with speed work on a treadmill is that the treadmills are at work and there is no documentation on how to set up a program for a particular run.  So I have to change the speed on the fly.  If I'm running all out on a given interval I have a hard time trying to change the speed down to the recovery interval pace.  I'm afraid of co-workers coming in and finding me hanging upside down by a leg from a chandelier.

Docket_Rocket

Nick, glad you got rid of the house.  We had to sell our rental just as the housing market was collapsing so we lost $50K but better than $150 which would have been now!

mdawg, nice 7.

I don't like any workouts on the TM because the TM is too easy compared to my weather, so the workouts are not as beneficial because of the less effort.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Indi - i dont think you have anything BUT good karma to give....

Jedi - nice momentum on the running/workouts,

DRock - thanks

RVD - i wouldnt mind pictures if that happens Cool

NickNearFlyerTown - correct. The pasrt couple of weeks it shows up and is gone within the fist  minute or so. The past run or two it has stayed with me. Yesterday it was very uncomfortable for the entire 6 miles and my hip was soar afterward, i think from it affecting my stride.

Nick & MDAWG - Nick, i agree but also think its hockey and they need to sort that out on the ice. Most Hawk fans want the skill to lead but in hockey its the first one to the puck, checking and stick lifting is part of it. MDawg - if they dont figure it out tonight I think they give the series away. What was with the Ott/Pitt game last night. Looked like a football score.

Cbus -  Which King team is coming out tonight? I thought it was cool that Quick took a swipe at a Shark int he last game. #passion

My plan was to shoot for 50 miles this week. I will be happy if i come away with 35/40 due to said shin. Stay tuned. Oh yeah, its my Friday btw. I expect some backlash for this but here goes. I was running pain/injury free at my (what feels like natural) quicker paces. Now that I have slowed the paces down to GMP+ I am having a shin issue. I think this was also and issue last year. Coincedence????? Anyone else have similar experiences?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Flinders - I just explained their contract to them and got early activation of the 30 day out clause before i make any more trouble for them.

Mdawg- I have now cancelled every gym membership possible in NYC - they are all terrible.  I'm just never joining a gym again.  I usually do pay-by-class at Soul-Cycle or Flywheel, which are spin studios that are pricey but good.

4 slow miles this morning, in the humidity - that was not easy- quads are still sore.  Spin tonight.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

Went to ortho this morning...MRI of hip scheduled for Saturday morning.  Not much else to report, except he did thank  me for being an "inspriation" to him.  He and his wife apparently bought Insanity after I saw him the first time and are on day 12...cool.  And I got a bill from my last PT place (the Graston place).  $787 on top of the $360 I have already paid...ouch!  I would not guess I am have spent at least $1500 on this damn leg and am no closer to recovery or an answer Cry

Roll: I really hope your calf issue is something minor!  Good luck at the doc.

Indy:  I hope you appointment goes well also!

Sprinkles:  I seriously did LOL picturing you talking to the meathead!  Seriously, where is the common sense people??

MDawg:  I went to the track at 4 AM a couple times this summer.  I could see surprisingly well and I really enjoyed it!

Nick:  Glad you got rid of the house!  The market just really sucks right now.  We have lived in our house about 2 years and there are at least 5 houses on my street for sale at about $30,000 less than we paid...it really hurts!!

Jedi:  Now that I think back, I did that exact same workout on the TM last winter...lol!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hi all!

Ran a 5k tempo then walked for 2 minutes then another 5k tempo. It was not very fast but I was good and tired at the end.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Simon - Looking for a good workout, werent you!

Nick - I have actually had that thought, but I really hate to change form rather than heal and get it right all the way. I have alot of faith in that if I execute with proper form I will eliminate alot of injuries for good. I would tell you that this particular injury happened the day before I had to walk home. I was running on the dreadmill and did some intervals and my form on the first interval was screwed. When running on a dreadmill anytime at any speed I have to concentrate extremely hard on my form because the dreadmill does not promote a good, natural, running form. Anyway, I was reaching out and overstriding on that first interval and I paid for it. I usually only use the mill for easy/recovery work, but I was feeling over confident at the time. My shoes are actually 3 to 4 mm drop. I would like to transition to 0 but I have too many shoes in stock at the moment. I will look into the new altra torin sometime or another.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami- good luck with the MRI.  I really hope it comes back negative and you dont' have to deal with a major stress fracture. I spent just as much on my calf last year between custom orthotics (that I don't use ) supportive shoes (that I don't use) and an MRI (that cost me a fortune).  So, I feel your pain...ugh.

Simon- That sounds tiring! Glad you had a good workout

Indiana - I switched to the Pure Flow from the Nirvana (I still use the Wave Rider too) and found that having the right level of support (for me, neutral) was more critical in achieving proper form than a lower heel drop was.  My stride is identical in both shoes - I midfoot strike with some heel use, but not much.  So, that might be something worth considering- and I had soleus issues too - the soleus issue came from a too-supportive shoe not giving my foot room to absorb shock.  Pronation is natural shock absorption on some level.  This is again, all what I figured out on my own after the doctors kept putting me in huge orthotics and supportive shoes that just made things extra bad.

Off to spin now.  I GOT A GOOD RACE PHOTO.  I BOUGHT IT.  It is now my avatar.  These things don't happen often.  I think its from the half way mark.  People are already sweating and grimacing in the background.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55