Sub-4 Marathon Group

500 Festival Training Series 10K RR (kinda long...sorry!) (Read 21 times)

Ball of Fury

Thanks Jedi!  It is a fun distance...not as painful as a 5K, but fun to run faster than HM pace!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

DetroitTigerFan

Nice race Ami !

those splits are really impressive given the weather. I always wondered if I could run fast in my winter gear, but have never run a 10K in winter,etc.  I bet the 1 mile warm up helped out. I'm a big believer in those when you are trying for a time PR in a 10K

questions for you -

- Was mile 6 the only one with the headwind ? did you try running behind anyone to help ?

- Also, how did you manage your pace during the race (i.e - race signs, or do you use a GPS watch and look each mile or stopwatch splits or just run and look at finish,etc)

just curious - looking for all the hints I can get so when i start racing again in June

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Ball of Fury

DTF:  Thanks! We had a few portions in the headwind but we turned so often or were sheltered by buildings so it really wasn't noticeable until mile 6. The crowd was pretty thin by then and there just wasn't really anyone running my pace to "draft" off.  There was a really tall guy who was a possibility but he was struggling more than I was so it didn't happen.  As far as my Garmin, I used manual lap and pushed it at each mile marker...at my Jan marathon, my Garmin was pretty far off from the mile markers and I got annoyed.  In the end, it read exactly 6.2 anyway, so I guess I ran the tangents well, although I didn't focus on it much.  This was my first shorter race with the Garmin and it REALLY helped!  I am not great at judging my pace when I am running fast and I know if I hadn't had the Garmin, I absolutely would have gone out too fast!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15