Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

mdawg87

Good morning donuts!  Another hour on the elliptical and stretching at the gym this morning.  I'm feeling good that i'm maintaining a good bit of fitness, but I'm getting tired of cross training.  Trying to stay positive though.  I'm grateful I can still work out aggressively in other ways besides running.  Gotta look at the bright side.

Go Docket and AmiK!

flinders:  another great day for running this morning in Atlanta.  Hope you've got the same again.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Well, I finished and truthfully, that's about all I can say!  I think I probably set a record for a positive split!  Will do a RR later but the short story is I felt great for the first 1/2 (ran with another forumite and we hit 13.1@2:02...perfect.  At around mile 14ish, my ITBS kicked in and I knew I needed to slow down so I told George to go ahead.  By mile 16, it was so bad I could honestly only run for 1/2 mile at a time.  I tried Biofreeze, stretching but nothing helped.  I limped the rest of the way in for a 4:33:47.  Truthfully, I don't think I could have hit a 4:00 with the hit but maybe somewhere between a 4:05-4:10.  Obviously, I am pretty disappointed and several times I considered DNFing it hurt so bad (still does!!) but I finished.  Feeling pretty blah at the moment but I guess I just need processing time.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Trail Monster

Damaris, congrats on Disney finish! Can't wait to see all the pics and hear the stories!

mdawg, how long until you can run?

Ami, sorry about the ITBS. You know you can totally nail your next marathon. Just focus on getting healthy and I'll be happy we get to keep you for a little longer! Wink

10.6 miles of hilly roads today at 10:55 average. I was pretty tired and moving slow. DH was running a 5 mile race (he did great with a 38:something) so I ran the first half of the course, made a loop around the lake and then rejoined the race course just as the middle of the pack hit the lake. I heard my name and looked over to see my friend! She said she had a goal time so I sped up to stick with her and we busted out 9 minute miles to the last hill which is .6 miles long and STEEP! I cheered her up the hill and then jumped off before the last turn to the finish line. I found DH and then we jogged back down to the car and headed home. Only 39.1 miles for me this week. I feel like a slacker!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, congrats on the finish, marathoner!  Hope the ITB heals quickly.

I almost PRd today, oops.  I missed it by 10 seconds.  I did the first HM at easy pace to compensate on the 100% humidity and when I hit the HM mark, I accelerated, ending with a 4-5 minutes negative split.  Very happy with how I ran it especially considering no albuterol and having run a HM yesterday.

heading back to Miami.  I'll write an RR tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Ami: Sorry to hear about the ITB issues derailing your race.  But, the most important thing is: Congrats on finishing!!!  Don't let the time get you down; you finished a marathon!  Also, enjoy the rest of your trip!  [But on the ITB, did it give you a problem during your LRs or flare up during training, or did this flare come out of the blue? (I can't remember if you mentioned ITB during your training; we've all been discussing injuries and I can't remember who has ITB issues, calf issues, PF, et cetera)].

mdawg:  It was 50ish this morning, so warm enough to run in just shorts and a tshirt.  But we had fog/low cloud and drizzle, which I actually like to run in, but it makes it so that not a drop of sweat evaporates during the run, so I finished up a sodden mess.

7.1 this morning @9:03 average pace.  Happy to be running pain free.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Lapped by Docket and Banshee.

Banshee:  nice run!

Docket:  Congrats!!  Looking forward to the RR.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Ball of Fury

Thank you all for the well wishes!  I feel a bit better now that I have showered and eaten a snack....ITB still hurts just to even sit though!

Banshee:  nice run today!!

Flinders:  I started having trouble about 6-7 weeks ago.  Went to the chiro, etc....but honestly today was the first it has ever been.

Docket:  That is awesome!!!  You should be very proud of an almost PR after doing Goofy and with the heat/humidity!!  I am sad we didn't get to meet.  We will be at DTD tonight if you will be around!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Amik - Go ahead and put the little bit of disappointment aside for awhile.  You are a marathoner!  Congratulations!  Take a good break to celebrate and then lets see about getting that ITB settled down so you can get to training for your next race.

Docket - Awesome!!

Banshee - good run!  You too flinders!

Hang in there mdawg.

Funny run today.  39 deg, drizzle, rain, and windy.  Wore a rain jacket and shorts.  Had to run laps as half of my course was cut off due to flooding conditions.  12.6 miles @ 8:42 pace.  HR was 75% of MHRR which would say that my fitness has increased a good deal since last training cycle.  Finished out my first cut-back week with 38 miles.  Tempo run this Tuesday morning and I am actually looking forward to it.

Donuts!!!!   Happy running!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket - Nice job on the near-PR! Especially with the goofy challenge.

Ami- either way, you finished and can call yourself a marathoner...now go to Graston!!!

Me- 10 mile "race" in central park today that was an excuse to hang out with friends - I did it at a 9:38 pace, so pretty easy.  Rest day for the rest of today and tomorrow.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 8.8 @ 9:25 to finish the week with 41. Ran again in the Elixirs, and I'm really loving these shoes.

Ami, congrats on finishing your first under very difficult circumstances! I'm very proud you didn't DNF. ITBS sucks!!! I ran 3 Halfs last year with my ITBS problems, and I can't imagine doing another 13.1. Enjoy this experience, and then, like Sprink said, go to GRASTON!

Docket, donuts to you! Can't wait to read the RR.

Sprink, what was that 10 miler? Was it a real race or a fun run or what?

Flinders, great to hear you are pain free again. 7 without pain is the most in quite a while, I think.

Mdawg, I feel pretty confident that your test run is going to go great. Are you feeling better?

Banshee, great miles!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Would've loved to but we are already back in Miami.  Next time!

and you can be sure you'll smash that PR next time.

Thank you all for the well wishes!  I feel a bit better now that I have showered and eaten a snack....ITB still hurts just to even sit though!

Banshee:  nice run today!!

Flinders:  I started having trouble about 6-7 weeks ago.  Went to the chiro, etc....but honestly today was the first it has ever been.

Docket:  That is awesome!!!  You should be very proud of an almost PR after doing Goofy and with the heat/humidity!!  I am sad we didn't get to meet.  We will be at DTD tonight if you will be around!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

White Lightning

Mdawg – Keep at it, you'll come back strong

AmiK – Great job!!! Sorry about the ITB

Docket – You keep proving our “Killing It” theme of 2013

Banshee/Cbus/Flinders/Sprinkles – Nice runs.

Indi – Nice run. I love that feeling when you see fitness improving over time

Me – 9 TM miles @ 9:50 and 1% incline, all pain free. Lots of stretching the last couple of days has loosed up things a bit. Finished week with 41.5 miles.  An hour of yoga later tonight

Play the Game Hard!

onemile

mdawg - hang in there. you'll be back to running soon.

AmiK - sorry to hear the ITBS flared up.  But congrats on sticking it out and finishing your first!  And I echo Cbus's recommendation to go get Graston (of course!)

Banshee - pretty cool that we can run almost 40 miles and feel like that's slacking!!

Docket - very nice negative split there! And so close to your PR! Congrats!

Flinders - nice pace on the 7 and glad to hear it was pain free!

Indiana - nice pace on the 12!  I can't say I ever look forward to my speedwork!

Cbus- nice job on the 8.8! I've heard a lot of good things about the Elixers. I'm afraid to stray from my sturdy stability shoes though.

Josh - nice job on the 9!

I got my 10 done... 5 miles of suck and 5 miles of pleasant.  Still coughing some but it's not as bad.

DetroitTigerFan

Hope you all had a good weather weekend.  It was nice to see 50+ in MI.  It was the first time i ran in running shorts without sweatpants in January.

docket - congrats ! look forward to the race review !

AmiK - sorry to hear about the ITBS. Way to tough it out to the finish though. Hang in there !

Indiana - nice run - that's pretty fast- yeah it's interesting with the rain puddles. Most of mine today were on sidewalks so i debated running through it squarely or just running on the grass next to it

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Amik you should be proud of yourself for toughing it out!

Docket, great performance- you don't seem to have tapered, then ran a half the day before, well done!

Indi, I am slowing down as the years go by, enjoy your progress.

Banshee and cbus, good weeks for both of you. Cbus, chick peas make me think of hummus, I like middle eastern food, tahini, tabouleh...

Mdawg, stick with the xtraining, it will pay off.

Flinders, glad to hear the 7 went well. I do remember you inviting the other thread to join us.

Me, 12 and a bit today, 4 runs and no xtraining for the week.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.