Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I cracked top ten last week.Smile Not sure how many weeks you can go before they kick you off.

What you ran last week.  And go post since you're on my team!  I assume it's the miles game?

Afternoon Donuts! late check-in for me again. Ran an easy 6.2m this morning. Legs kinda felt flat to start, but found a groove towards the end. It probably had lot to do with i was working till 10:30pm last nite. I hope to get soem relief soon as we are hiring another person soon and they will get one of my projects I currently work on. Anyway one last quality run tomorrow before I hit the taper hard. Looking forward to it and having some doubt creep in about Frederick on if i can hit the 1:32 or not. it amazes me I am even thinking of running a HM that fast.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

cmb4314

Afternoon Smile

I haven't checked in much this week - been busy at work.

I'm now a pro at walking around in the boot, and I will hopefully get the go ahead to ditch the boot tomorrow.

Just have to keep stretching it out.  I have a decent amount of mobility back, but I'm still pretty stiff and sore so it's going to still be awhile before I can run.  Maybe I can start at least using the gym, though.  I'll probably pick my membership back up for May, particularly if I can start driving myself there again.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- I just now read back up and saw your comment about "Certified." HAHAHA. If you're looking for East Coast slang, I'm the wrong one to ask.  I'm the child of immigrant parents and I sound like I was born in the midwest somewhere - people always ask if I am from Kansas or someplace "around there."  New Yawk is not the place that people think I am from.

...speaking of which, I signed up for the New Yawk Marathon today.  Totally not gonna race that hard, but my friends are doing it. Peer pressure.

CMB- Yay to ditching the boot!

Ami - IT bands suck- I had ITBS for about 4 months...graston took a few sessions to really get all the adhesions out.  I did quite a number on myself running with it for a long time.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

6 GA miles at 9:29 in the books, last mile at 8:43.  ITB felt fine today but some weird pinching in my left hip for a bit.  Goes away when I push my hips forward.

Bought a rumble roller today and boy does that thing hurt.  If you want to step up your rolling game, check it out

Play the Game Hard!

Sorry I have not posted much over the last few days- tough keeping up!

That calculator idea to compare race times at different temperatures is terrific- I often use the WAVA age grading calculators to compare races a few years ago with more recent performances, or just to relate to younger runners.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

Josh - Got a laugh out of the rumble roller comment.

Sprinkles - That should be quite an experience running the new yawk thing.

Cmb - Gettin betta Baby!  Keep it up!  What do you plan on doing at the gym?

Got a nice 8 mile run done tonight.  9:00 avg pace and ran the last mile at 8:30.  I should be able to get to 40 miles or just over that for the week.  PT office called today and my first actual dose of PT will be this Friday.  I plan to run 7 or 8 before going in.

Happy Running, Donuts!!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Evening y'all!  Lovely and warm here in FL.  Looking forward to my first compression shorts and tank top run on Friday.  Ran another easy 7 on the TM prior to leaving this morning.

Josh:  I too have the rumble roller.  It is a love/hate thing.

Jedi:  Enjoy the taper!

cmb:  Oh I'm hoping for good news from your Dr visit!

indi:  Good news on the run.  Hope the PT helps you conquer this.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Jedi - taaaaper. visualize a 1:32

cmb - good news coming, I can feel it

Sprinkles - where are your parents from? if its not to personal.

Josh - good luck with the rumble roller , I hear the United Nations outlawed that thing during wartime.

Indi - did you say you ran tonight? I thought you only ran pre-dawn Cool

mdawg - enjoy FL. Watch out for Docket, she may be running by. I know she is way over there in Miami but its Docket, she runs and then runs some more.

6.5 miles at an 8:06 pace for me tonight.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  Welcome to Florida.  We hit 90F this week and last week.

I got a bit more burned than I thought.  My shoulders have little blisters and I'm peeling.  Ugh.

5 miles and weights.  There was a bad accident near my house so the commute took me more than one hour, cutting my run by 1 mile.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ap4

From what I remember, it's three straight weeks of nonposting that gets you booted and you have to reapply to the miles game.

Jedi-  like Roll said, relax and visualize your race.  1:32 is crazy fast, but you've done the work.  Enjoy the ride and the taper there.

CMB- glad you're getting around to hobbling around better.  You'll be out and running before you know it.

Roll-nice run.  8:06 is no walk in the park.

Me- 5 mi recovery 9:30 pace.  Running a smaller local half marathon on 5/5.  Last year's had 570 half marathoners versus the OC Half Marathon which is on the same day that has 8700 runners.  I ran the OC Half last year and it's a fast pretty course, but wanted something different this year.  The registration was $20 cheaper and it's pretty much on my home turf.  Figure parking will be much less of an issue, plus the point to point half marathons are not the  greatest for spectators.  My wife never was able to find me last year due to the unexpected road closures.  The smaller one is a loop race.  A goal is for a <1:40, B goal is just to PR (<1:43).  My mileage is double what it was a year ago, so the endurance is there, but not sure if the speed is.  But I tend to race a lot harder than I expect most times.

onemile

Jedi - trust the race day magic!

cmb - hope you can ditch the boot. You are way more patient than I could ever be.

josh - nice 6.

indi - 40 miles is good. You must be feeling better.

ap4 - with that increase in mileage I'm thinking a nice PR should be in order.

I visited my chiro last night for some graston.  Had him do my calf and hamstrings and ITBs and I think he scraped all the remaining stiffness out because I feel pretty good today.  I am itching to run pretty badly.  Might do an easy 3 tonight.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Roll- Not too personal at all - my mom is from a suburb of the Duesseldorf area in Germany - so the German midwest/industrial center, and my dad is from a small town in the southern region of Germany known as Franconia - its right by the Neuschwanstein castle.

Onemile: Glad to hear the Graston helped!

Mdawg- enjoy the weather.

Me: Slept through my 5:30alarm this morning, so Im moving my run to tomorrow.  Allergies are really bad today anyway.  It's so close to taper I can taste it.  I have a volunteer event after work so I doubt I'll have time to squeeze the miles in after work.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Hay is in the barn as we say. 9+m total w/40min LT temp at a 6:58avg pace. opted for the TM this am as wind was just ridiculous this morning and did not want to deal with that. Another cycle in the books and that is always a good feeling. Hope it was enough.Smile SRD for me tomorrow. First one in about 2.5 wks. Thanks for all the votes of confidence on my race. Just over thibking things i guess. i think part of it is I just ran a 4min PR and being realistic about it. I did the work and now it's time to trust the training and get it done.

cmb - hope you get rid of boot soon. i can't even imagine.

josh - super 6

indi - 40m is a solid week

ap4 - good luck with your hlaf. Yours is same day as mine.Smile

onemile - nice job resting after your race. Not lot of runners disciplined to take a week off after a marathon.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

So, I forgot what category a Dewpoint of 27degF on Docket's Dewpoint Scale fell into. With less than a week before May, I am just going to file it under depressing. This morning, after a nice 73deg run on Tuesday, I had the pleasure to wake up to cold. Now I am sure some others out there are experiencing the same thing (or worse), but can't it just be Spring yet? Yesterday it snowed pretty hard for half the day, luckily it melted pretty promptly.

Once I got going though it was ok, I finished my 8 tempo miles at a 7:31 pace, 11 miles total. After the rest day yesterday, the tempo run today felt like it took less out of me than the 11 mile 'easy' runs I had on Tuesday and Sunday. I think it tells me that I have to take my easy days much easier than I have been (Cbus is reading this thinking, "I could have told you that."), at least until my body gets used to the mileage ramp up.

Jedi - It is amazing thinking about running that fast, but I think you know you have it in you. Congrats on getting to your taper.

cmb - hopefully you get the thumbs up to ditch the boot today

Indi - good work with the 40 mile week so soon. It sounds like you are feeling pretty strong too

mdawg - nice weather, don't rub it in

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 8.25 this morning @ 10:31 pace. I think I'm finally starting to feel recovered from my race and the weeks prior. Today was the first day in a long time where I felt stronger on the second half than in the first. The easy paces are helping. Hopefully, I'm on track to building back my endurance. Hurray for easy pace!

Cmb, that's great to hear. Do you have a time table yet? Or is it still too early?

Sprinkles, something tells me your gonna run NY competitively. We should make "certified" a new catch phrase, synonymous with cool.

Jedi, congrats on finishing your cycle! Based on how strongly you finished it, I think you'll reach you goal, and even surpass it.

Onemile, glad Graston went well. But remember that Graston may have straightened out your muscle and fascia tissues, but all your ligaments, tendons, and other connective tissues are still recovering. So be sure to keep your running at recovery pace and then easy pace for the next couple of weeks.

Ami, how did Graston go?

Ap4, I'm from Cali! My bro still lives in the OC. He says he's thinking about running Surf City, which would be his first. If he does, I might join him.

Question for all you overpronators, I've noticed that when I run in neutral shoes, I can feel a pressure like sensation in my knees afterward. Nothing hurts. But it just feels like pressure has built up in my knees. I've experimented with stability shoes, and i don't recall this happening when I wear my Elixirs or Inspires. Is this an indication I might need a bit more stability? I guess I'm confused because I've always been told I don't overpronate.

Question for everyone, so what race should we have our first Donuts group race? I'm thinking something fun like St. George, but we would have to go through the lottery, and there's a chance someone could get left out. Chicago is a good central location, but we'd have to wait until next year. What are some other ideas?

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)